Souleymane Coulibaly

TartanC4

1 hour ago, p12tfc said:

Could they not have signed him

but not announced it until clearance was granted?

My thoughts exactly. 

Woould have stopped the twitter abuse of Al Ahly from thistle fans , which i can’t see helping matters. 

3 hours ago, p12tfc said:

Could they not have signed him

but not announced it until clearance was granted?

Similar to the suggestion that thistle should have made a more cautious statement in announcing the signing, I don't see how this would have had any benefit. By treating this as something less than a normal "subject to clearance" signing I think thistle could have compromised their position. What they have done is put themselves in the more robust position, where a signing has been made, they take the view that it should be validated and cleared, and there is a decision to be made by others.

Keeping quiet about the signing may have saved face, may have tempered excitement that could turn to disappointment, but I'm sure we can all handle that. The priority should be to maximise the chance of success.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, allyo said:

Similar to the suggestion that thistle should have made a more cautious statement in announcing the signing, I don't see how this would have had any benefit. By treating this as something less than a normal "subject to clearance" signing I think thistle could have compromised their position. What they have done is put themselves in the more robust position, where a signing has been made, they take the view that it should be validated and cleared, and there is a decision to be made by others.

Keeping quiet about the signing may have saved face, may have tempered excitement that could turn to disappointment, but I'm sure we can all handle that. The priority should be to maximise the chance of success.

This is daft. Player registration isn't a game of poker FFS.

The order of our announcements has no effect on the legal rights (whatever they may be) of his former club or the strategy or intention they might have of enforcing them.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

48 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

This is daft. Player registration isn't a game of poker FFS.

The order of our announcements has no effect on the legal rights (whatever they may be) of his former club or the strategy or intention they might have of enforcing them.

No of course it doesn't. But I'm just not sure what Thistle should have said, or done. They had to sign him to set the process moving. To sign him and not announce it would be weird. It would get out anyway, certainly as soon as anyone else decided they might want to sign him. That could get messy.

The other option was to make any extended statement, more than just the usual "subject to clearance".  Like what? "We've signed him but we don't know if he'll ever be able to play?" It's not a game of poker but to some extent it must be a negotiation, a conflict. In that case I don't see how sitting on the fence, and failing to fully back the player's right to sign for us, would be a positive move.

You're daft

The club's statement could have recognised that this isn't the normal 'subject to international clearance' signing.

All of us on here know that this one isn't a normal scenario.

Given that, the club could have stated that this particular signing may take a bit longer than normal to go through due process.

A small and sensible statement that would have given clarification and simultaneously created goodwill.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

No of course it doesn't. But I'm just not sure what Thistle should have said, or done. They had to sign him to set the process moving. To sign him and not announce it would be weird. It would get out anyway, certainly as soon as anyone else decided they might want to sign him. That could get messy.

The other option was to make any extended statement, more than just the usual "subject to clearance".  Like what? "We've signed him but we don't know if he'll ever be able to play?" It's not a game of poker but to some extent it must be a negotiation, a conflict. In that case I don't see how sitting on the fence, and failing to fully back the player's right to sign for us, would be a positive move.

You're daft

Don’t announce it until clearance has been given or acknowledge up front that discussions are ongoing with the relevant parties to ensure his clearance goes through.

18 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Any chance you could grasp the concept that the nature of a football fans' forum is about expressing opinions and debating those with fellow fans in a friendly spirit?

100% on board with that spirit Barney , any chance you will grasp the concept that this is a PTFC fans forum and give the club, their employees,their fans the benefit of the doubt. We should all be fanatical about PTFCand will give them the benefit of the doubt rather than try to crucify them for everything.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Don’t announce it until clearance has been given or acknowledge up front that discussions are ongoing with the relevant parties to ensure his clearance goes through.

What is the normal process for gaining international clearance and how long should it normally take? Have we received it yet for Mtembwe ? And why do you need international clearance for someone that was born in EU ?

41 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

What is the normal process for gaining international clearance and how long should it normally take? Have we received it yet for Mtembwe ? And why do you need international clearance for someone that was born in EU ?

I think international clearance relates to registration with a specific Country’s association rather than an employment visa or whatever so being born in the EU wouldn’t matter.

I’m pretty sure it’s even required moving between UK home nation associations and timing is more about how quickly it is sent, received and processed each side.

1 hour ago, Jagtastic said:

I think international clearance relates to registration with a specific Country’s association rather than an employment visa or whatever so being born in the EU wouldn’t matter.

I’m pretty sure it’s even required moving between UK home nation associations and timing is more about how quickly it is sent, received and processed each side.

That's as I understand it. It's rather a grand name for what in effect is one football association signing off on a player and his new association registering him. Perhaps some folk get confused between that and a work permit.

2 hours ago, Jagtastic said:

If that is the case for EU players, doesn’t that go against free movement between borders for EU citizens.(Another job for Bosman, methinks).

Regarding timing, is their not some guideline as to how long it should take ?  On deadline day they seem to be able to do it quickly !

42 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's as I understand it. It's rather a grand name for what in effect is one football association signing off on a player and his new association registering him. Perhaps some folk get confused between that and a work permit.

I don’t think EU citizens need a work permit for the UK, though

38 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So... whats the expected timeline on this being resolved one way or another. I could accept a few weeks. If it is months and months it is an unmitigated disaster. Fans hopes were raised.....almost feels like a publicity stunt

The cynic May think that announcing this calibre if signing would have potentially increased season ticket sales anyway 

10 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

1. We have international clearance for anyone we are able to play.

2. Being born in the EU isn’t relevant (except for getting the necessary permission to work in the relevant country e.g. a permit). What matters is the registration process, which requires (normally) cooperation between the relevant football associations of a club that holds a player’s registration and the association of one that doesn’t.

On the timescales question, Google is your friend on these occasions or, as they used to say on another site, every day is a school day.

My reading of FIFA's international transfer regs is that the Egyptian FA must give clearance (officially an 'International Transfer Certificate' or ITC) within 7 days of receiving a request from the SFA unless there is an ongoing contractual dispute between the player and his former club about the termination of his contract.

If there an ongoing contractual dispute then the player, the old club or the new club can raise the issue with FIFA, who have up to 60 days to issue a judgement.

The SFA should have sent the ITC request last week so, in theory, if we don't get positive news this week then the worst case is it may take another couple of months to sort out.  However, although I'm still wary about taking the Egyptian club's reported statements at face value, they are apparently claiming that the dispute has already been resolved.  If this is the case there is no reason for the ITC not to be issued in the next few days.

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2018 at 1:50 AM, Metz said:

100% on board with that spirit Barney , any chance you will grasp the concept that this is a PTFC fans forum and give the club, their employees,their fans the benefit of the doubt. We should all be fanatical about PTFCand will give them the benefit of the doubt rather than try to crucify them for everything.

This is absurd. Why does being a fan involve being expected to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone in any circumstances for any purpose whatsoever?

Being a fan is about wanting the team to do well, not having faith in anyone that it will do.

2 hours ago, DenisOhDenis said:

No clearance yet so it's looking like it's one for FIFA to sort out.  Would be nice if  Thistle gave an update with a realistic expected timeline.

Archie talks about it at the end of his interview on the o/s tonight. If I remember correctly he says we have done everything we can and we are waiting on the authorities to give us the go ahead.