Souleymane Coulibaly

TartanC4

5 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Have just posted on East Fife v Jags thread my own mystification as to why Mansell and Roy have been preferred to Coulibaly. Would certainly extend that mystification to Storey, if Coulibaly is fit enough to play even half a game. 

Have often wondered why players of uncertain fitness are held back on the bench. The problem is that as time runs on, if the game is at all close, there is a worry about bringing that player on, especially if all other substitutes have been committed and there is no change that can be made if the player's fitness is not up to the mark. Why not start that player? If he plays all or most of the 90 minutes at full tilt, that is a wonderful bonus. If he pulls up after 15 minutes, at least we tried, and we can bring a replacement on and still plan to make 2 more changes if necessary or helpful later. Having a potential 3 subs out of 6 outfield players is an incredible luxury which is not used enough.

It’s probably more to do with his lack of interest and attitude to training and his little interaction with his other team mates. Rightly or wrongly Caldwell seems to make a big thing of fitness and training as well as team bonding and if a player is not putting in the effort he is not likely to feature.

cant help but think that Coulliaby and his agent in particular seem to think they are too good for Partick Thistle 

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It’s probably more to do with his lack of interest and attitude to training and his little interaction with his other team mates. Rightly or wrongly Caldwell seems to make a big thing of fitness and training as well as team bonding and if a player is not putting in the effort he is not likely to feature.

cant help but think that Coulliaby and his agent in particular seem to think they are too good for Partick Thistle 

Lack of interest, attitude to training and lack of interaction with his team mates? Keen to know your source for this one. Or are you just mindlessly regurgitating what you’ve read elsewhere? 

7 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Lack of interest, attitude to training and lack of interaction with his team mates? Keen to know your source for this one. Or are you just mindlessly regurgitating what you’ve read elsewhere? 

Just told an opinion by far players family member and another from a Killie supporter who is friends with a player and given how well he did at Killie was surprised to hear about what went on at training 

For some reason Caldwell doesn’t rate Coulibaye, not sure the reason why ? but I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us at the end of the season 

Our problems are in the final 1/3 of the park , neither creating enough chances or scoring enough goals .

You only need to look Coulibaye’s record at Kilmarnock to see the potential he has and how unproven guys like Roy and Mansell are getting game time ahead of him is totally bizarre .

Edited by jlsarmy

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I have noticed when he does his warm up behind goals At Lambie stand end. He always seems to be encouraging his team mates on the pitch and  looks involved in the game even though he is not playing. Also why list him as sub if Caldwell thinks he is not going to play ?

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

For some reason Caldwell doesn’t rate Coulibaye, not sure the reason why ? but I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us at the end of the season 

Our problems are in the final 1/3 of the park , neither creating enough chances or scoring enough goals .

You only need to look Coulibaye’s record at Kilmarnock to see the potential he has and how unproven guys like Roy and Mansell are getting game time ahead of him is totally bizarre .

I agree that we rarely look as if we are going to score more than 2 meaning games will invariably be tight. That said the defence has stabilised so maybe we just have to expect to grind out results. Frustrating that couilbaye is effectively contributing zilch.

54 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

“Lack of interest” does not really square with the impression given in just about his only substantial appearance in Caldwell’s first game away v Alloa. He was so keen to try and rescue the game for Thistle that he was acting as auxiliary ballboy every time the ball went out of play.

Both Coulliaby and the sports scientist were told by Caldwell to retrieve the ball during that game and get it back on the pitch as quickly as possible.  Besides Caldwell had only been in the door a couple of days at that point 

Coulibaly played 80 odd minutes for the reserves a fortnight ago. To this onlooker, though I thought he paced himself and wasn't clearly 100% fit, he certainly looked capable of playing the "impact sub" for 20 mins. Could be that Caldwell simply wants his impact subs to attack the opposition at pace. Saturday being an example as pace would have dropped with the early introduction of Spittal for Fitzpatrick. 

I tend to agree with DP in so much as giving other players the nod before Coulibaly makes longer term sense. I tend also to think that Coulibaly's and Caldwell's idea of 100% fitness differ dramatically. Hence the absence.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

Does anyone think Coulibaly will be a Partick Thistle player next season? Perhaps the manager is giving those he sees as having a future at Firhill a run out.

I'm okay with the manager picking the team as he sees fit. Only thing I would say is that I don't think the longer term should be his priority between now and the end of this season.

13 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

Does anyone think Coulibaly will be a Partick Thistle player next season? Perhaps the manager is giving those he sees as having a future at Firhill a run out.

I don't think so. His lack of game time, even as a substitute, continues to baffle me.

Surely he is ahead of Mansell and Roy in the pecking order?

I don't know how bad Storey's injury is but it will be interesting to see if he gets any minutes on Saturday. Can't see it myself.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

All of our strikers contracts expire at the end of this season.

Can’t see Coulibaye being at Firhill next year , looks like something has gone wrong between manager and player which is disappointing.

We should have had an asset on our hands , 24 yr old with a proven track record in the SPFL with Kilmarnock who had a million pound transfer fee on his CV, looking at it objectively the players we’ve got at our disposal like Mansell and Roy are never going to remotely reach that level .

Whatever has happened, he should be walking into our team with his ability, if we’re going to save our season it’s players  like him who can win games for us either as an impact sub or starting him for a good hour .

• Like 2

No idea what is going on at training and so on but I was at the reserve game he played against Celtic and there was no problem with his effort on that day. 
He was clearly desperate to make an impact - overheard some Celtic fans talking about him saying that wee guy looks desperate to score!

If Caldwell does not want to play him he should have been gone in the window. 

I will be sure to get to the reserve game at LH on the 18th. We are playing Motherwell and I would hope to see Coulibaye shine in that group of players. I wonder if this is just an attitude issue? Maybe even a cultural thing that Caldwell has an issue with? The guy's CV says he should walk into any Scottish Championship team.

3 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

No idea what is going on at training and so on but I was at the reserve game he played against Celtic and there was no problem with his effort on that day. 
He was clearly desperate to make an impact - overheard some Celtic fans talking about him saying that wee guy looks desperate to score!

If Caldwell does not want to play him he should have been gone in the window. 

Clearly not 100% that day. He was greatly assisted by Roy and Mansell (particularly the former) doing a lot of the running a player playing in his position (that day) would be expected to cover. But, yes, following on from that 80 plus mins on an artificial surface you'd expect he'd be primed for an early sub stint at least. As said before I suspect it's fitness issues rather than attitude issues that's holding back his re-introduction. If the latter he'd probably have been offski last month.

Might also be worth mentioning in the two games since his reserve outing and in the match immediately prior to it we've had to make forced substitutions and that could easily have a bearing on Caldwell's thinking.