Dundee Utd (away) Match Thread

elevenone

1 hour ago, Prince of Partick said:

Archibald out, he cannot motivate the players.

We need a leader, no point in us bringing in new players just to play the same boring system that got us relegated last season.

Lets  act now before it is to late.

The board will not get rid of Archie. They don't want to pay him off. Archie will not leave. He will not get another decent job if he does. We're stuck with him.

My hope is that Bannigan can make it back and the Coulibaly signing goes through. Should have enough to finish mid table if they do.

First game I've seen this season, and to be honest I can't see much difference/improvement from last year. 

We seem to almost ignore the centre of the pitch, with most of our play up the touchlines where the predictable run by Storey results in a predictably aimless cross.  There were huge gaps in the middle of the pitch, especially playing out of defence  that no-one ran into, and so inevitably, the ball was played out to the wings, with players there having little time or space to make a telling pass.

The refereeing was poor, with the United players getting away with wrestling and diving - sometimes at the same time!  The man with the added minutes board seemed to be incapable of operating it: If he held it up with the added time, I didn't see it despite looking for it.  Also a bit miffed about being shoved in the crappy stand behind the goal and the stanchion.  Last time I was there, I got a great view from the stand on our right.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Bell

Elloit O’ware Mcginty Melbourne      

Slater     Penrice

Fitzpartick   Erskine   Mutombo    

Storey

Sube: Sneddon, Kewon, Doolan, Spittal, Storer, Wilson , Natambwe

Anyone know how long  McCarthy and Gordon and out for?

Anyone with a brain would have started with this team.

I’m fed up with this.

Dreadful team selection. Dreadful substitutions.

Fitzy, our 1 ray of hope, sits on the bench while Spittal who is useless every week starts yet again(and unbelievably is not hooked).

Nobody will take Keown after that performance. A liability on the park and in the balance sheet.

archie on jagzone  asked about further signings

we need another centre back and that should be us sorted  

i despair i really do

somebody out there tell me i'm wrong  please

if nothing changes then we are going to struggle big time this season

i could go on but i can't be a****     :wall:

sad times indeed

11 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

i despair i really do

sad times indeed

Dear Archie - we have that centre back already.

He's called Niall Keown. 

Play him.

Please.

And stop being an arse.

25 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

i despair i really do

sad times indeed

It doesn’t matter who he brings in or how many, the issue is the tactics, the defending, the fight. It’s a different manager needed before new players

• Like 1

I know there are people on here who think they are 'superfans' by stifling any criticism of the team or manager but I'm getting fed up leaving games feeling flat and frustrated.  

I sit there today and see folk clapping cos somebody tried a pass that nobody got on the end of. There is nothing to cheer. Set pieces are woeful either under hit or over hit. I remember a couple of seasons ago watching thistle rip Kilmarnock apart at their ground winning 5-2. It was fantastic link up play and going at them, feels like decades ago.

We are being beaten by teams who are not that good and we're not laying a glove on them. There were no stand out failures today it was just a total team failure.  Defending is sloppy. Crosses are coming in with nobody interested in getting on the end of them. Players are missing the goal from 2 or 3 yards others are losing their discipline and having to be subbed,

Why Fitzpatrick didn't get at least half an hour is beyond me. If you have an on form player why are you putting off form players on??

Archie was given a chance few get and he's got to sort this out and stop offering the fans shite week in week out. I really don't care about beating Stranraer 5-0. I want to beat Dundee Utd and Ross County.  Fans are going to start voting with their feet and that starts a downward spiral.

Whether its the new signings, the injured players returning, tactical changes or management change I don't really care but can we just fecken sort it out please, cos its starting to get tedious!!!

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Dear Archie - we have that centre back already.

He's called Niall Keown. 

Play him.

Please.

And stop being an arse.

Not sure if this is a joke or not? Niall Keown, in both attitude and ability, is an absolute horror show. He is second to absolutely everything, has the central defensive presence of a child, and is generally one of the most pathetic central defenders we have seen in years. I’d be astonished if he’s still in professional football in two years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Not sure if this is a joke or not? Niall Keown, in both attitude and ability, is an absolute horror show. He is second to absolutely everything, has the central defensive presence of a child, and is generally one of the most pathetic central defenders we have seen in years. I’d be astonished if he’s still in professional football in two years. 

Most people seemed enthusiastic about Keown when he first arrived, and then signed. Has he deteriorated since then, or is he simply being found out after being carried by better players than him? Or has he simply chucked it?

A pretty good day for several ex-Jags (though not all) across the country yesterday, though not all, of course. But I suppose that has to be the situation every week Haha!

15 hours ago, Jag said:

The board will not get rid of Archie. They don't want to pay him off. Archie will not leave. He will not get another decent job if he does.

That's with respect, nonsense. The whole of football is littered with managers that have been sacked at one club and subsequently been re-employed at the same level. Indeed many despite their inadequacies go on to manage at a higher level. Archibald would just be joining a very long list of ex managers, good, bad and indifferent in that lottery. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's with respect, nonsense. The whole of football is littered with managers that have been sacked at one club and subsequently been re-employed at the same level. Indeed many despite their inadequacies go on to manage at a higher level. Archibald would just be joining a very long list of ex managers, good, bad and indifferent in that lottery. 

So it would be a lottery whether he gets another decent job or not.

There are also plenty managers who have not managed to get another decent job after being sacked or walking away from a role.

Perhaps I should have said 'highly unlikely' but Archibald isn't going to take the risk. I'm pretty sure the odds would be against him walking in to a role at similar or higher level.

58 minutes ago, Jag said:

So it would be a lottery whether he gets another decent job or not.

There are also plenty managers who have not managed to get another decent job after being sacked or walking away from a role.

Perhaps I should have said 'highly unlikely' but Archibald isn't going to take the risk. I'm pretty sure the odds would be against him walking in to a role at similar or higher level.

But most of those who have not got a new job achieved nothing- while Archibald has achieved quite a lot in his short career. In fact, the first 5 years of his career were an unqualified success.  In that respect he’s achieved more than Ian McCall did for Thistle (or ever), for example and yet he’s doing fine now. Therefore I’d be very surprised if no one took a punt on him at our level or similar should he become available.

On the face of it the recent signings seem promising but unfortunately i dont expect archie to mould them into a promotion winning team. Agree with yellow and rednecks post, sad but he's on the money. We are going nowhere.

12 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Although I am contributing to this whole Archie stay or go debate, I think it is all wasted breath/time. The board have given him the opportunity to get us promoted. So until that it is arithmetically impossible I really doubt that they will do anything until then.

Do you think the board will do anything once it is arithmetically impossible to get promoted, which, based on yesterday, should be about January.

12 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Although I am contributing to this whole Archie stay or go debate, I think it is all wasted breath/time. The board have given him the opportunity to get us promoted. So until that it is arithmetically impossible I really doubt that they will do anything until then.

You may well be correct in that assessment, however without us going on some kind of meaningful unbeaten run this side of Christmas., it would be irresponsible of the board not to act if the stagnation we have witnessed since April 2017 continues.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

You are right with respect to the influence of this site on the Board's decisions.  However not to debate any manager's performance here would be absurd.