Dundee Utd (away) Match Thread

elevenone

16 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No argument that he's good enough to start. I'm sure Aiden can also put in a full 90 mins in a league game. After all he managed fine the other week against Stranraer in the Challenge Cup.

However it's far more important that his career development is carefully managed. Might be worth noting that Fitzpatrick was hardly a regular starter in the U20s last season. He's actually made the step up from a position if anything of being under played. 

I'd also suggest the lad doesn't look fully developed physically and if that being the case it's likely he'll be used sparingly. So far, and I've seen every game this season, Aiden hasn't been subject to too much physical attention. True he can ride a tackle but he plays in a position (and in a way) that invites heavy tackling.  So given his tender years I expect he'll not necessarily get the game time just now his form should warrant.

If Archie isn’t going to play him in a game crying out for him, then we would be better signing quitongo and sending Fitzpatrick out on loan so he gets game time. 

In assessing the game it is difficult to look past the awful defending to concede 2 cheap goals from free headers. Could not see the third goal properly to judge.

The first half of the second half was quite promising. Penrice shot looked like it was going in before deflection took it away. Spittal had to bury that header. Undeniably disappointing but nowhere near as depressing as the 2 Ayr defeats.

So I would say a performance to criticise but not to condemn.

That was awful. Took us to the last few minutes to get anything threatening on target and even that was due to their keeper dropping the ball on erskine's head. United were average at best and in the end they won comfortably

Looking at other results, Falkirk look to be the worst of the bunch and yet we just held on to a 2-1 wind at home. This will be a long hard season unless something changes very quickly.

I don't see any drive or passion in this team just 11 players playing football by numbers. At no point did it ever look like we would turn the game around and its been a long time since I've seen an Archie team that I think can turn a game around. I think another manager could do a lot more with this playing squad.

3 league games in .....2 poor performances and one decentish one v falkirk who are bottom of the league

ho progress from last season 

no evidence yet we will be up challenging but looks like there are a couple of very poor teams atm that should see us avoid a relegation battle 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

The really sad thing at the moment is that I just don't really care about the results. I've always been a fanatical Jags fan, but thanks to the results and style of football Archibald has played over the past 18 months, I am utterly apathetic about this club. 

Excellent post - I could have penned this word for word as no doubt could many others.

19 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

The really sad thing at the moment is that I just don't really care about the results. I've always been a fanatical Jags fan, but thanks to the results and style of football Archibald has played over the past 18 months, I am utterly apathetic about this club. 

His 'style' of football is utterly dreadful.

25 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I feel exactly the same way, our football style is boring, our results are poor, and hope has gone

I think I need therapy after what has become a typical day out following Thistle. I continually have the same burning questions bouncing around my head.

Why wasn't Aiden Fitzpatrick played today?

Why is Christie Elliott captain when he looks short on confidence and a shadow of the player he was before his long term injury?

How has Blair Spittal managed to hold down a place in this team?

Can we not just tell Keown to go..just go!

Why did we play football like a rugby team today and just hoof long balls  into touch way upfield?

Why do we play across the field so much instead of up and down?

Why do we play shootey in prior to the game when  a) we have so few shots in actual play and they might just have had a wee practice during the week. I'm possibly making a bit assumption there.

Would this time not be better spent having a discussion between players about how to find one another when we break out of defence or something of that ilk?

Sadly, I'm not sure Archie has the werewithal to put things right.

Even if we get Coulibally into the team it's possible every ounce of flair could be drained from him if he's given Archie's 'Football by Numbers' manual for some bedtime reading.  A short dull read, no doubt easier to read across the page rather than up and down

I think I need to lie down and prepare for the Morton game.

Edited by Harrybriscoe