Dundee Utd (away) Match Thread

elevenone

51 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Do you think the board will do anything once it is arithmetically impossible to get promoted, which, based on yesterday, should be about January.

Who knows.

We have a new chairman and a new board member(I think) since the statement was made.

They probably feel obligated to honour that, but whether they make a hard decision, I don’t know.

49 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

You may well be correct in that assessment, however without us going on some kind of meaningful unbeaten run this side of Christmas., it would be irresponsible of the board not to act if the stagnation we have witnessed since April 2017 continues.

The extent of the rebuilding job means, to me, that this season was always going to be difficult. Had we changed manager in the close season, I wouldn’t have been surprised or despondent with a poor start and mid table finish while the team is rebuilt. I’d have  accepted it was probably going to take a bit of time to come together. The fact we haven’t changed manager does not change this for me.

6 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

The extent of the rebuilding job means, to me, that this season was always going to be difficult. Had we changed manager in the close season, I wouldn’t have been surprised or despondent with a poor start and mid table finish while the team is rebuilt. I’d have  accepted it was probably going to take a bit of time to come together. The fact we haven’t changed manager does not change this for me.

I don't disagree with that view. Frankly it would have been a risk either way. And I'm certainly not of the view that managers should be sacked willy-nilly.

What concerns me though, is that the descent under Archie since April 2017 has been precipitous, and he has shown no signs either last season or so far this season that the standard set of problems are in any way being addressed under his stewardship. And that's after he's cleaned out last year's dressing room.

Just watched the Motherwell game. Anyone remember the last time they saw a thistle team put that level of intensity into a game never mind one against the ugly sisters?

Motherwell don't have a substantially better playing squad than us but every team that plays them knows they will have to fight for the points. Who in our team do we see as having the ability to hold their own in a battle?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, laukat said:

Just watched the Motherwell game. Anyone remember the last time they saw a thistle team put that level of intensity into a game never mind one against the ugly sisters?

Motherwell don't have a substantially better playing squad than us but every team that plays them knows they will have to fight for the points. Who in our team do we see as having the ability to hold their own in a battle?

Not to detract from your completely valid point - for me the answer would be the 2-2 draw v Sevco last season.

We had them by the haw-maws after a great start to the second half.  Then Erskinho put in the worst tackle of his career which ceded the initiative to them.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Couldn't agree more with Laukat. He beat me to the punch. Motherwell have a team of fighters and I've said for two years we need a Scott Brown type player. They seem to have a team full of them. Guys who would run through a brick wall.

i am still pissed off that NOTHING seems to change with us. We take poor set pieces; we defend against them like school kids; we never seem to vary our play; we are too slow to get players in the box; we play down the wings ad nauseam. Apart from that we are totally predictable.

Rant over but will it make any difference?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Well why bother debating anything on here then? Might as well just shut it down. Or is it just the manager performance you don't want to be debated?

I have no issue with people debating his performance but ending it every time there is a poor result with “he has to go” is just boring.

I have only seen 3 games live this season each of which we won, being pretty much dominant in the 1st 45 mins and the Celtic game on TV. Again in that game we had a decent 25 to 30 mins.

I am not seeing where the despondency is coming from just yet

42 minutes ago, laukat said:

I kind of disagree. If we had only got a point after being ahead twice, no matter who against, there would a meltdown on here by some posters.

If you were a motherwell fan and even if they hadn't got the last minute equaliser I think you could have looked at that team and thought they gave everything. They didn't show the opposition too much respect and played a controlled amount of aggression

We on the other hand have no aggression whatsoever. Storer is the only 'nasty' one in our team and to be honest he looks more of a liability than an asset. Even when we drew 2-2 in the game Barney referenced we didn't batter sevco in the way that motherwell did today.

We are a club missing a 'nasty' streak. Our chairman is a nice person, our manager is a nice person, our captain is a nice guy, we try to play nice football and we are nice to players. We need to bring back the nasty.

Edited by laukat
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Not sure if this is a joke or not? Niall Keown, in both attitude and ability, is an absolute horror show. He is second to absolutely everything, has the central defensive presence of a child, and is generally one of the most pathetic central defenders we have seen in years. I’d be astonished if he’s still in professional football in two years. 

Niall Keown's attitude is an absolute horror show?

What's the basis for that statement?

I think the problem with Niall Keown is he doesn't know if he's coming or going. He doesn't look like he's part of the team and is only getting played due to injuries.  Its not something I think Niall is doing deliberately its the by product of the manager insisting he signs a reduced deal or leaves.

Better for all parties if he moves on but to still have this unresolved 5 days from the end of the transfer window is not good. What happens if there are no bids for him at the end of the window? Does he continue to be used only in the event of injuries or does he bring him into the fold on wages that the rest of the squad would be envious of?

Nialll Keown is an innocent party in all of this. He has a contract that says whatever it says and he is quite right to hold on to it in the absence of anything else.

The transfer window in England is gone, so unless he gets a move to another Scottish club or somewhere in Europe we have him for a while, so play him.

Play him at right back, he's a far superior full-back than Christie Elliiott will ever be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Do you think he looked at all interested last season? 

In the games I saw and was present at, he was fine. He was an order of magnitude more interested than Osman, Barton or Dumbuya the wage thief.

You seem to have a different opinion though. Which is well, good and equally as valid as mine. Care to tell us the basis of your opinion?

23 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Nialll Keown is an innocent party in all of this. He has a contract that says whatever it says and he is quite right to hold on to it in the absence of anything else.

The transfer window in England is gone, so unless he gets a move to another Scottish club or somewhere in Europe we have him for a while, so play him.

Play him at right back, he's a far superior full-back than Christie Elliiott will ever be.

I agree with you regarding the contract,but this situation isn't doing him or Thistle any good.We are only playing him  when we have no other alternative because of the  contract and because of this at 23 his career has stalled.For both parties sake lets hope this is sorted out this week.

Edited by Auld Jag

The reference to Motherwell jogged my memory. Even before Dundee United scored their first goal yesterday, I was getting a horrible sense of deja vu. As the ball was crossed I knew that I had seen it all before, but there was nothing I could do about it. It was like that film "The Eyes of Laura Mars" or a dream where you try to shout, but make no sound.

It all comes back to me now. Late last season post-split at Firhill v Motherwell. I was of course in the John Lambie Stand. Soft free kick awarded in the same spot for no apparent reason. Ball floated across. Several runners get ahead of statuesque Thistle defenders and one picks his spot to score easily past a hopelessly exposed and helpless goalkeeper.

If I ever see this situation developing again, what should I do? Set off a fire alarm? Do a one man pitch invasion and get myself banned? Any more useful suggestions welcomed!

Edited by partickthedog
spelling!

The whole thing about Niall is Archie is only going to play him when he really has to because of the situation of being relegated and Naill not taking a pay cut i for one would be playing him if i thought he was better than we had however how can you blame him for sitting tight as he has a contract that both him and the club have to adhere to so if he can improve the team while hes still here why not play him afterall the club still have to pay his wages

4 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

The reference to Motherwell jogged my memory. Even before Dundee United scored their first goal yesterday, I was getting a horrible sense of deja vu. As the ball was crossed I knew that I had seen it all before, but there was nothing I could do about it. It was like that film "The Eyes of Laura Mars" or a dream where you try to shout, but make no sound.

It all comes back to me now. Late last season post-split at Firhill v Motherwell. I was of course in the John Lambie Stand. Soft free kick awarded in the same spot for no apparent reason. Ball floated across. Several runners get ahead of statuesque Thistle defenders and one picks his spot to score easily plus a hopelessly exposed and helpless goalkeeper.

If I ever see this situation developing again, what should I do? Set off a fire alarm? Do a one man pitch invasion and get myself banned? Any more useful suggestions welcomed!

Let Archie know.He said he has learned from last season.But as you say we are still repeating the same mistakes.

18 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

It all comes back to me now. Late last season post-split at Firhill v Motherwell. I was of course in the John Lambie Stand. Soft free kick awarded in the same spot for no apparent reason. Ball floated across. Several runners get ahead of statuesque Thistle defenders and one picks his spot to score easily plus a hopelessly exposed and helpless goalkeeper.

The goal we lost to Ross County at the back end of the season remains the worst goal I have ever seen a professional football team lose. And yes it was Thistle.

Hooked ball over the shoulder to nothing and four individuals wearing Jags shirts stood with their fingers in the air. Meantime Billy McKay, who quite patently was not offside, got to bring the ball down, kiss it, and thereafter dispatch it behind Tomas Cerny.

That was the night we were relegated - mentally if not mathematically.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Or we loan him to an English club

a lot of discussion about keown and his ability or lack of it 

having watched the highlights i think we should be looking more to the lad playing right back 

i know elliott is a great lad gives 100% etc but he ain't no fullback

we need an experienced right back in this side pronto

with regards to doolan and erskine being "off form"

if you can watch the miles storey post match interview on jagzone watch doolan and erskine come into shot 

both are definitely discussing tactics or possibly the lack of them

we need a centre forward up front that can hold the ball up and yes with doolan, that's right the guy that will score if given the opportunity, playing along side him.    this is not rocket science 

we again on saturday,  had our most likely player to score, given a sniff of goal, sitting on his erse on the subs bench

morton on saturday  big game for archie and scott  surely it will not be another omnishambles  :help:

• Like 1