Dundee Utd (away) Match Thread

elevenone

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Nialll Keown is an innocent party in all of this. He has a contract that says whatever it says and he is quite right to hold on to it in the absence of anything else.

The transfer window in England is gone, so unless he gets a move to another Scottish club or somewhere in Europe we have him for a while, so play him.

Play him at right back, he's a far superior full-back than Christie Elliiott will ever be.

He can sign for an English club on loan.

Keown is the last survivor of the overpaid dumplings implicit in our dreadful performances.

All others have either left, been chucked out or taken wage cuts. Some with dignity!

He IS a guilty party and should leave, accept he’s a liability to the club, sign for Hendon and re-train for a 9-5 job  because he’ll never make it as a full time footballer. 

Anyone at the game yeaterday would have seen him lose every header and dwell on the ball 3 times leaving team mates to get him out of jail. He was the worst player on the park.

Its ridiculous to suggest playing him at RB. He has no skill, pace or power. Christie may have his faults but he’s miles ahead of Keown.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Keown is the last survivor of the overpaid dumplings implicit in our dreadful performances.

All others have either left, been chucked out or taken wage cuts. Some with dignity!

He IS a guilty party and should leave, accept he’s a liability to the club, sign for Hendon and re-train for a 9-5 job  because he’ll never make it as a full time footballer. 

Anyone at the game yeaterday would have seen him lose every header and dwell on the ball 3 times leaving team mates to get him out of jail. He was the worst player on the park.

Its ridiculous to suggest playing him at RB. He has no skill, pace or power. Christie may have his faults but he’s miles ahead of Keown.

I do not believe that Keown is the guilty party.

A deal's a deal  and if that's what he was offered, then that's what he should get.

Whether he's good, bad or indifferent player, doesn't really come into it. A contract is a contract and he is well in order to expect it to be honoured. It's a poor form to expect anything else.

If there is a guilty party it's whoever arranged and approved the contract in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first two goals were as a result of poor defending and more specifically, the same player not picking up Watson on two occassions. This is hardly Archie’s fault. Third goal was as a result of chasing the game. The game itself  was terrible  and optimises our recent form. Felt like an end of season game rather than the start of a campaign. Zero fight, zero creativity and zero confidence. 

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

In the games I saw and was present at, he was fine. He was an order of magnitude more interested than Osman, Barton or Dumbuya the wage thief.

You seem to have a different opinion though. Which is well, good and equally as valid as mine. Care to tell us the basis of your opinion?

Dumbuya wasn’t a “wage thief”. He was injured. You can’t cancel player’s contracts when injured, and you can’t expect players not to be paid when they’re injured. But that’s besides the point. 

The basis of my opinion on Keown is watching him play this year and last. No fight, no passion, no heart. He’s also just not very good. If we have to play him in the absence of O’Ware then I’m fearful. Granted it’s all about opinions though so we may have to agree to differ! 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

Keown is still an intelligent player who can improve. His current state of mind can’t exactky be positive; contract stalemate, no visible sign of a resolution, sitting in the bench not expecting to be used as a sub.

We can evaluate his ability if he comes on as a surprise, his mind just isn’t fired up at the moment.

I really do hope he compromises on contract and stays to show what he is capable of. Decent guy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

The whole thing about Niall is Archie is only going to play him when he really has to because of the situation of being relegated and Naill not taking a pay cut i for one would be playing him if i thought he was better than we had however how can you blame him for sitting tight as he has a contract that both him and the club have to adhere to so if he can improve the team while hes still here why not play him afterall the club still have to pay his wages

If it is the case that Archie has just taken the hump with him, then his boss should be telling him that he has to use the best resources available to him.

19 hours ago, laukat said:

Just watched the Motherwell game. Anyone remember the last time they saw a thistle team put that level of intensity into a game never mind one against the ugly sisters?

Motherwell don't have a substantially better playing squad than us but every team that plays them knows they will have to fight for the points. Who in our team do we see as having the ability to hold their own in a battle?

Lucky for Motherwell they did not listen to fans calling for the manager's head when they were struggling:

https://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/15690-robinson-how-do-we-think-hes-doing/

Dundee fans who wanted Hartley out are now after McCann's head. Falkirk fans who wanted Houston out are now after after Hartley's head. Jack Ross was getting in to the crowd to "chat" with fans who were calling for his head before becoming the hero of Paisley.

Football fans are a very fickle group and if we go on a good run a lot of people wanting the manager out will disappear (until the next defeat).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is the place for them but I would just say that the Board have given absolutely no indication that they will sack Archie so is it a good use of your time to keep on that particular issue. It is like me constantly telling Megan Fox that I am the man for her - I know I am right but it ain't going to happen (according to her lawyers anyway).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Maestro said:

The whole thing about Niall is Archie is only going to play him when he really has to because of the situation of being relegated and Naill not taking a pay cut i for one would be playing him if i thought he was better than we had however how can you blame him for sitting tight as he has a contract that both him and the club have to adhere to so if he can improve the team while hes still here why not play him after all the club still have to pay his wages

We may now find ourselves in a situation where we have to play Keown tho' I have to say I've not heard how long Tam will be out for. Up until now Niall's only game time has been due to O'Ware being injured or ill. We know Keown's on a top tier wage. What we don't know is if he's on top tier bonuses. Bonuses being play, win, draw and possibly a threshold bonus.

Under normal circumstances I think he'd have got a run out in one of the cup games (Albion or Stranraer) for both match fitness and to play alongside McGinty. If he's on high bonuses and particularly has a threshold clause in his contract that would explain why he's only kicked a ball out of necessity. Again that's just guesswork based on little else.

I don't feel there's any blame for three players not having relegation clauses. Or better put I can understand why the three players didn't have such clauses. This time last season Barton (player of the year) and Keown were seen as key signings and Storey widely viewed as an improvement on either Azeez or Amoo. Signing them in the first instance may well have had difficulties. Whatever if there is any blame the person responsible is now lording it at Hampden. 

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Lucky for Motherwell they did not listen to fans calling for the manager's head when they were struggling:

https://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/15690-robinson-how-do-we-think-hes-doing/

Dundee fans who wanted Hartley out are now after McCann's head. Falkirk fans who wanted Houston out are now after after Hartley's head. Jack Ross was getting in to the crowd to "chat" with fans who were calling for his head before becoming the hero of Paisley.

Football fans are a very fickle group and if we go on a good run a lot of people wanting the manager out will disappear (until the next defeat).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is the place for them but I would just say that the Board have given absolutely no indication that they will sack Archie so is it a good use of your time to keep on that particular issue. It is like me constantly telling Megan Fox that I am the man for her - I know I am right but it ain't going to happen (according to her lawyers anyway).

It’s very difficult to quote other clubs and managers.  Circumstances at every club are different in terms of ability, personality, resources and culture.

Football has to be a results led business.  When we finished top 6 Alan Archibalds stock was high, fans were singing his name and other clubs were sniffing about.

However, the decline is now dragging on and the problem is we are now in a new season and there are very few signs of things changing.

MonehJags is right. Nothing will be decided  by this forum but I watch thistle with a bunch of long term thistle fans none of who are on wearethistle. One has not renewed his season ticket and says he will not go back till Archie goes and after Saturday another reckons it will a while before he will be back. Doesn’t matter whether I agree with them or not I am soon going to have to attend myself which may lead to me missing games.  This is how decline grows pace.

I agree with folk on here who say that Archie did well up until last season but the problem lies in the continual failure to improve basics. Even his most fervent supporters have to admit our defending is woeful and we don’t attack. It’s not entertainment.  It‘s terrible to watch.

Archie can’t keep coming out and saying ‘ the lads need to do better’ he needs to MAKE them do better.

The question here is not about being fickle or about knee jerk reactions. It’s about how long?  Some on here think he should be kept in post until we are playing the likes of Edinburgh City in the 2nd Division.   I think the decision for the board is simple.  Where do you want to be as a football club?  If you want to go back to the Premier League you need to watch how things develop in the next few games and make a big decision no later than end of September. If you want to play in the second division then sit tight and do nothing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

It’s very difficult to quote other clubs and managers.  Circumstances at every club are different in terms of ability, personality, resources and culture.

Football has to be a results led business.  When we finished top 6 Alan Archibalds stock was high, fans were singing his name and other clubs were sniffing about.

However, the decline is now dragging on and the problem is we are now in a new season and there are very few signs of things changing.

MonehJags is right. Nothing will be decided  by this forum but I watch thistle with a bunch of long term thistle fans none of who are on wearethistle. One has not renewed his season ticket and says he will not go back till Archie goes and after Saturday another reckons it will a while before he will be back. Doesn’t matter whether I agree with them or not I am soon going to have to attend myself which may lead to me missing games.  This is how decline grows pace.

I agree with folk on here who say that Archie did well up until last season but the problem lies in the continual failure to improve basics. Even his most fervent supporters have to admit our defending is woeful and we don’t attack. It’s not entertainment.  It‘s terrible to watch.

Archie can’t keep coming out and saying ‘ the lads need to do better’ he needs to MAKE them do better.

The question here is not about being fickle or about knee jerk reactions. It’s about how long?  Some on here think he should be kept in post until we are playing the likes of Edinburgh City in the 2nd Division.   I think the decision for the board is simple.  Where do you want to be as a football club?  If you want to go back to the Premier League you need to watch how things develop in the next few games and make a big decision no later than end of September. If you want to play in the second division then sit tight and do nothing.

Spot on

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thistle4celtic1 said:

Re: Keown.

How times change.

It was only around 18 months ago some were hoping Thistle could sign him to a long term contract after his loan period was up.

I was one of those.

On loan in a defence with Lindsay, Devine, Barton v good.

Signed permament in a defence with Devine, Barton, Turnbull, Cargill v disappointing.

Don't know what happened but he is not the answer and being poor in the air in this league is a real weakness.

2 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I didn't renew my season ticket this time round either. Typically the club never asked me why.  Just another example of the half arsed amateur attitude that appears to permeate from board to pitch these days.

It is a good point about asking why you didn’t renew . Do you know of other clubs that do ?

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It is a good point about asking why you didn’t renew . Do you know of other clubs that do ?

I wouldn't know about other football clubs, but other service providers certainly do, sometimes resulting in your business being

retained once your reasons for leaving have been discussed.

As an example, one of the reasons I didn't renew was that my seat would on occasion be used for a tv camera location meaning I had to find seating elsewhere.

Also, the camera support structure would often be there for many weeks after the televised game.

No reference was made to me when this was done and it was just taken for granted I would move.  That may seem petty to some, and there's probably some small print somewhere

allowing the club to do this, but I think it's a least good manners for the club to communicate this prior to the game.

Add on to the this the fact that we are relocated when either of the two arse cheeks come to visit, then the season ticket looked a less attractive option.

4 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I didn't renew my season ticket this time round either. Typically the club never asked me why.  Just another example of the half arsed amateur attitude that appears to permeate from board to pitch these days.

Not renewing this season either. The S/T figures for this year are not great I would imagine.

2 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I wouldn't know about other football clubs, but other service providers certainly do, sometimes resulting in your business being

retained once your reasons for leaving have been discussed.

As an example, one of the reasons I didn't renew was that my seat would on occasion be used for a tv camera location meaning I had to find seating elsewhere.

Also, the camera support structure would often be there for many weeks after the televised game.

No reference was made to me when this was done and it was just taken for granted I would move.  That may seem petty to some, and there's probably some small print somewhere

allowing the club to do this, but I think it's a least good manners for the club to communicate this prior to the game.

Add on to the this the fact that we are relocated when either of the two arse cheeks come to visit, then the season ticket looked a less attractive option.

Ah - I see, it just I thought you were having a go at our board because other clubs boards did it.  Not out of tune with other football clubs at all. On the other hand it is a great idea. Why don’t you contact the club about it.  

51 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Not renewing this season either. The S/T figures for this year are not great I would imagine.

I think at the last Trust meeting, a chart was presented showing that the ST sales were on a par with last year. I think about 2,000 in total although only about 1,000 were adult ST’s

• Thanks 1