Jack Cross

1 John Lambie

It is with great sadness that I post that lifelong Thistle fan Jack (John) Cross unfortunately passed away last night after a short illness, aged 95.

Jack has been a regular at Firhill, attending his 1st match at the age of 14 in 1937, rarely missing a match home or away since. Although many may not know the name, I'm sure most would know & have seen his face at Firhill & away stadiums around the country over the years.

Despite Jack being the best part of 70yrs older than me, I have him to thank for making me a Thistle fan, we have travelled the country together following Thistle for the past 15-20yrs & it really won't be the same without him.

At the time of his passing Jack was the oldest living Thistle fan, Jack's last game was Stenhousemuir away where fittingly Thistle ran out winners.

Jack was a keen golfer & up until a few weeks ago was still playing Bowls for Westermains BC in Kirkintilloch.

Jack loved football but more importantly loved Thistle, thanks for the memories!

Just wanted to post this on here for those that may have known Jack, I've attached a photo from the Play-Off Final last season so people can perhaps put a face to the name.

20180520_163010.thumb.jpg.f7b71ef90fa8163db8c9d0476d022905.jpg

Edited by 1 John Lambie
  • Like 12

55 minutes ago, 1 John Lambie said:

It is with great sadness that I post that lifelong Thistle fan Jack (John) Cross unfortunately passed away last night after a short illness, aged 95.

Jack has been a regular at Firhill, attending his 1st match at the age of 14 in 1937, rarely missing a match home or away since. Although many may not know the name, I'm sure most would know & have seen his face at Firhill & away stadiums around the country over the years.

Despite Jack being the best part of 70yrs older than me, I have him to thank for making me a Thistle fan, we have travelled the country together following Thistle for the past 15-20yrs & it really won't be the same without him.

At the time of his passing Jack was the oldest living Thistle fan, Jack's last game was Stenhousemuir away where fittingly Thistle ran out winners.

Jack was a keen golfer & up until a few weeks ago was still playing Bowls for Westermains BC in Kirkintilloch.

Jack loved football but more importantly loved Thistle, thanks for the memories!

Just wanted to post this on here for those that may have known Jack, I've attached a photo from the Play-Off Final last season so people can perhaps put a face to the name.

20180520_163010.thumb.jpg.f7b71ef90fa8163db8c9d0476d022905.jpg

What a superb tribute, 1JL, and what a legend as a Thistle fan Jack Cross obviously was (although I did not know him personally). Condolences to his family and to you and all his other friends.

Lovely post 1JL. Best thoughts to the family. Lost my Dad 6 years ago. He started going to thistle during the second war and his stories going to games was such fun. You'll feel the loss for ever on match days, i still get wattery eyes at most games (performance included) but over the years the memories will make you smile.

Thoughts will be with you on saturday.

Thank you all for your kind words, Jack really was a one-off & I have him (along with John Lambie) to thank for making me a Thistle fan.

For those who knew Jack or may want to pay their respects to a lifelong Thistle fan.

Jack's funeral will take place at 2:15pm on Tuesday 4th September at Maryhill Crematorium, then on to Kirkintilloch Golf Club.