Home v Morton

Even first half,which Brice could have seen yellow for some of his early tackles but as the game went on he got better. And I thought by the time he got subbed he showed after he has played a few more games and better fitness he will be a very important player for us.Thought we were much better in the second half and deserved to win. Thankfully the ref and assistants big mistake didn't cost us points wise.

• Like 2

I can’t quite believe how Spittal continues to start ,it simply astounds me. I am hard pushed to remember the last good game he played for us since the group stages of the league cup 2 seasons ago. He’s is weak ,frustrating ,lacks any dig whatsoever ,has no desire and in my personal opinion was one of the biggest shambles of last seasons relegation squad ,yet somehow he seems to be the first name on the team sheet every week. Wouldn’t even make my bench of mutumbo storey quitongo fitzy squidy storer are all fit.

Really dodgy start to the game. Thought Morton were going to run us off the park although I don’t think they had any clear cut chances. But we started to control it after 25-30 mins. Ntembwe had me worried to start with but really came on to a game. It was great to see Bannigan back and assured in that last 20 mins. Apart from the goal and the goal that wasn’t Scully also had to make a couple of really sharp saves. First game in I don’t know how long that I didn’t think we would conced late on.

3 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Postives:

First league cleansheet

Brices second half preformance

Penrices will to run at players

Kewon and Mcginty looked solid I thought

Bannigan 

Negitaves:

The first half

Penrice’s love to boot the ball to a Morton player

The ref

Lack of subs

The lack of players wanting to take a man on

Don’t know why your mentioning penrice about misplaced passes - they have all been guilty of that. As it is he has been outstanding this season and is s great prospect 

a lot of positives today both Brice and mcginty were brilliant 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Don’t know why your mentioning penrice about misplaced passes - they have all been guilty of that. As it is he has been outstanding this season and is s great prospect 

a lot of positives today both Brice and mcginty were brilliant 

Lots of times against Dundee United he overhit long passes and today he was struggling to get any hight I fully agree on he’s been good and definitely a good prospect just very annoying after he done it all of last week and the first half today.

Would like to have seen Erskine and Spittal switch roles for a while at least. Understand why they were both played out of position but perhaps that was a wee bit rigid. Thought that led to a difficult shift for Elliott, which I thought he handled well.  Always difficult to be objective when all you want to hear is the final whistle but I think we saw the game out pretty well. 

Quite weird with Brice in so much that he looked so off the pace early on but was more impressive the longer he played. Looks the part physically and reckon he could be a key signing. 

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Bannigan on. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I'll be honest, I didn't get past this post.

he proved you wrong. Best thistle player of the last twenty years and if he didn't deserve a break no one does. Twenty five minutes of the most composed Thistle performance I've seen in years. If he stays fit we have a player that is a mile above anyone else in this league.

• Like 6

A pretty dour first half but better performance after the break. I thought the goal settled us and it was good to see us create a few chances for a change.

Erskine was having a game to forget but still popped up with the goal and improved after it. Still baffled by the one that was disallowed and felt sorry for Doolan, it was a great finish.

I thought Storey had a good game, always prepared to run at defenders and gets his fair share of crosses in.  End product could improve though.

Just brilliant to see Bannigan back in action and was delighted to see him get such an ovation from the fans when he came on. I can't remember hearing such a loud cheer for someone passing the ball. 

• Like 1

Big lift from our second half performance.  Been a long time since we were so positive after taking the lead.  Thought Brice was effective at breaking down Morton's attacking moves throughout and really grew in stature in the 2nd half; hoping he will be a big player for us. Slater, Storey, Keown, McGinty and Erskine (great finish) all turned in a performance.  Please please please keep Bannigan free from injury; looked a cut above when he came on at the end.

Really felt for Doolan.  You could see the monkey coming off his back as he celebrated a cracking goal.  Where in the name of Christ does Scottish football pick up the ******* idiots that officiate on our game.  

• Like 1

If red and yellow cards can be rescinded on the basis of video evidence, then why can't a goal that is so patently obviously a valid goal be awarded on the basis of video evidence after the officials "missed" it? 

Could it be because it would be just too embarrassing/revealing for the Scottish football officialdom closed-clique brethren?

44 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

If red and yellow cards can be rescinded on the basis of video evidence, then why can't a goal that is so patently obviously a valid goal be awarded on the basis of video evidence after the officials "missed" it? 

Could it be because it would be just too embarrassing/revealing for the Scottish football officialdom closed-clique brethren?

We should have an extra official at either goal line.

4 hours ago, potty trained said:

Over the moon with that result. The goal being chopped off could have work 9ne of two ways. It thankfully rallied us  and Banzo' s introduction was a masterstroke. Lifted the crowd and gave the team a second wind.

Bell: assured. Great save down to the bottom corner in the second half. Should have come for the long ball. I've forgotten about Cerny. 

Elliott. Great going forward, played a superb ball down the wing in the first half and had some great crosses, especially the one for Storey at the back post. Defensively he doesn't look fully fit. Getting too close to the winger too often.

Keown: solid no frills display. Did h8s job well. 

McGinty: becoming an absolute mountain with every game. Throws himself at everything. Played some beautiful balls out to the right wing. 

Penrice: gave the ball away cheaply, but looked very Taylor Sinclair like, going forward when he drops the shoulder.

Ntambwi: broke up everything in the middle getting between the man and the ball. Slack passing because of fitness, once he's fit he will boss this league.

Slater: a gem of a find from Archie. 

Spittal: apart from one lovely through ball in the second half, contributed nothing of note.

Erskine: everything came off for him in the first half, drove the team forward and a great finish. Tired in the second half. 

Storey: infuriating and mesmerising. He will tear full backs apart with his pace in this league, but his finishing is so shit at times. Would love to see him start scoring.

Doolan: nowhere near the movement Storey offers through the middle, but such an intelligent player with a sublime first touch. First class finish for the goal that should have stood.

Banzo: Tears welled up as he came on the park. We've really misses him. Controlled the game and moved the ball with great pace. That's why Archie showed faith in him.

Melbourne: looked bloody brilliant on the right wing. 

So many positives to take away from that.

Spot on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, potty trained said:

Over the moon with that result. The goal being chopped off could have work 9ne of two ways. It thankfully rallied us  and Banzo' s introduction was a masterstroke. Lifted the crowd and gave the team a second wind.

Bell: assured. Great save down to the bottom corner in the second half. Should have come for the long ball. I've forgotten about Cerny. 

Elliott. Great going forward, played a superb ball down the wing in the first half and had some great crosses, especially the one for Storey at the back post. Defensively he doesn't look fully fit. Getting too close to the winger too often.

Keown: solid no frills display. Did h8s job well. 

McGinty: becoming an absolute mountain with every game. Throws himself at everything. Played some beautiful balls out to the right wing. 

Penrice: gave the ball away cheaply, but looked very Taylor Sinclair like, going forward when he drops the shoulder.

Ntambwi: broke up everything in the middle getting between the man and the ball. Slack passing because of fitness, once he's fit he will boss this league.

Slater: a gem of a find from Archie. 

Spittal: apart from one lovely through ball in the second half, contributed nothing of note.

Erskine: everything came off for him in the first half, drove the team forward and a great finish. Tired in the second half. 

Storey: infuriating and mesmerising. He will tear full backs apart with his pace in this league, but his finishing is so shit at times. Would love to see him start scoring.

Doolan: nowhere near the movement Storey offers through the middle, but such an intelligent player with a sublime first touch. First class finish for the goal that should have stood.

Banzo: Tears welled up as he came on the park. We've really misses him. Controlled the game and moved the ball with great pace. That's why Archie showed faith in him.

Melbourne: looked bloody brilliant on the right wing. 

So many positives to take away from that.

Couldn't agree more

How was the new catering in the JHS? I’d love to give the ref a pizza my mind. If we keep playing like this we should be topping the table soon.  Morton had a slice of luck with the goal being chopped off. The Morton players were falling like Domino’s. Pleased that the Goodfellas won. My Papa John was at the match and said it was well worth the dough.

Edited by jags on tour
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A decent performance and a welcome victory after the unsettling transfer window.  Some good quick incisive passing from Penrice and Slater and a good finish by Erskine - I think we will have some good attacking options if everyone  is ever fit.  McGinty may turn out to be a better player than he initially looked but in what looks likely to be a very tight division, the lack of real quality and cover for injuries and suspensions at the back could be the fatal flaw although we don't yet have the look of a title winning or even promotion side.

Big Brice after a rusty start came on to a strong game  and played like a less musclebound version of Osman; Slater is a good footballer and it was great to see Bannigan remind us that he is a class act...particularly after some appalling and stupid  comments on this forum this week. 

I was never a fan of Elliot but I was surprised by how well he had done at full back despite his inability to take on defender but he has been poor defensively this season - and we don't have another right back.  Spittal is increasingly frustrating - he has ability but has to take on more responsibility - he keeps calling for the ball only to play it straight back again. Storey can't see a pass and has no end product.

Every Thistle Fan will remember this game for the Goal That Never Was - the linesman must be feeling a proper fud after seeing the replay but the Ref was standing within a few feet  from Doolan when he hit the shot - how could they not see the ball go in or even realise from the reaction of the players that it was a goal? I felt sorry for Doolan - it was a thumping shot.  A second goal would have made it a more comfortable afternoon...and given that we were relegated by one goal last season let's hope it just remains nothing more that one of Firhill's more bizarre episodes.

13 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Anyone else having the same problem with the Jagzone highlights?

"Just the Goals" is fine, including demonstrating just how clearly Doolan's shot hit the back of the net.

However the usual 10-15 minutes worth of highlights does not seem to be working, unless there is something I am missing.

"It's not you, it's me".............same issue here

I'm sure they'll figure it out by morning

Could someone in the know explain what process will be followed as regards the failure of the match officials to award such a blatantly obvious goal.

It is fully understood that in marginal situations where the ball hits the bar, bounces down near the goal line and spins out, there is the possibility of a wrong call being made and no blame should be attached, as it all can happen so quickly, without the opportunity for a second look. 

But in this case, the Main Stand side linesman and the referee have clearly been asleep. Even the other linesman should perhaps have had the intelligence to intervene. My understanding is that there is no 4th official for Championship games, but there is a referee supervisor, who presumably would include such a major incident in his report. Where does it go from there and what action might happen? I would have thought at the minimum there would be a suspension from action for re-training in the basics.

It just seemed strange that the officials were so oblivious to the reaction of the Morton players, who initially resignedly accepted that a goal had been scored, and were fairly slow (although they did eventually cotton on) to get on the bandwagon of arguing that the ball had not crossed the line. Some elementary understanding of how football players react should surely be part of referee and linesman training.