Home v Morton

An apology from the officials involved should be the order of the day.  Such a thing has happened before when incidents involving so called bigger clubs have occured.  One can only imagine the fall out had that occured during the Old Firm match today.

Although thankfully it did not have a bearing on the outcome of match it is not to say that come seasons end goal difference may come into play and also it’s one goal less from Doolans overall total as he tries to continue his rise up the all time goalscorer chart.  And finally the bookings picked up by Erskine and Spittal due to the ‘goal’ may have a future knock on effect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allyo said:

I'll be honest, I didn't get past this post.

he proved you wrong. Best thistle player of the last twenty years and if he didn't deserve a break no one does. Twenty five minutes of the most composed Thistle performance I've seen in years. If he stays fit we have a player that is a mile above anyone else in this league.

You didn't get past this post? Maybe you should remove the blinkers and stop being a happy clapper and accept criticism of the club now and again. It will take more that 15 minutes of play from Bannigan to prove me wrong. But it's a start. Long may it continue.

Edited by Garscube Road End

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Could someone in the know explain what process will be followed as regards the failure of the match officials to award such a blatantly obvious goal.

It is fully understood that in marginal situations where the ball hits the bar, bounces down near the goal line and spins out, there is the possibility of a wrong call being made and no blame should be attached, as it all can happen so quickly, without the opportunity for a second look. 

But in this case, the Main Stand side linesman and the referee have clearly been asleep. Even the other linesman should perhaps have had the intelligence to intervene. My understanding is that there is no 4th official for Championship games, but there is a referee supervisor, who presumably would include such a major incident in his report. Where does it go from there and what action might happen? I would have thought at the minimum there would be a suspension from action for re-training in the basics.

It just seemed strange that the officials were so oblivious to the reaction of the Morton players, who initially resignedly accepted that a goal had been scored, and were fairly slow (although they did eventually cotton on) to get on the bandwagon of arguing that the ball had not crossed the line. Some elementary understanding of how football players react should surely be part of referee and linesman training.

They will simply conjure up an "infringement" (e.g. jersey pulling) that somehow the eagle-eyed linesman was the only one in the entire stadium to spot. That way the raw truth of cluelessness gets covered up.

3 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

They will simply conjure up an "infringement" (e.g. jersey pulling) that somehow the eagle-eyed linesman was the only one in the entire stadium to spot. That way the raw truth of cluelessness gets covered up.

Nah, this will be one of the "never to be spoken about again" incidents. There's no explanation which does not lead to even more incompetence.

5 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

That could not be made to square with the award of the throw in to Thistle

TBH didn’t expect to wake up and see this result, so that was pleasing. Not sure also how many clean sheets we’ve had in the last few years either. 

Whilst match officials do make mistakes, it’s rough when players livelihoods depend on them not. If Doolan’s contract has a ten goal trigger clause, for instance, and he finishes on nine at the end of the season...

13 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Hard lines !

Had us down for a defeat last week so not all bad but can't win them all. I should've went with my head and factored in more of the McKinnon element. Reassessing, and will be opting for more draws at home and away defeats. That looks like the best strategy.

Edited by The Legend Blows

Tricky start and we didn't look great in the first half.

I thought we were very good in the second half though, a pleasant change to see us get stronger as the game went on.

Slater is a terrific footballer but only when utilised further forward like he was in the second half. He's developing a good relationship with Storey and Penrice down the left hand side.

Archie gets a lot of stick for his tactics but he clearly made a formation switch in the first half which helped us get a foot hold on the game.

It did make me laugh that it took Ntambwe about 5 minutes and two tellings from Penrice and Spittal before he figured out the switch!

He has the makings of a good player and i'm sure his passing will improve as his fitness does.

A midfield of Bannigan, Slater and Ntambwe will be a standout in this division.

On Bannigan, I didn't think I'd ever see him back in the Jags colours.

What a cameo it was. Didn't give the ball away once, his passing was assured and quick and most importantly, to a Thistle player! Light years from the dross served up by Edwards, Woods etc last year.

I hope this is the sign of better things for him, a very talented footballer who deserves some luck going forward.

As every win shouldn't be overhyped, (just as every defeat shouldn't mean Archie out!) I think there are positive signs in this Thistle team.

Credit to Keown and McGinty as well, thought they were both very solid yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Legend Blows said:

Had us down for a defeat last week so not all bad but can't win them all. I should've went with my head and factored in more of the McKinnon element. Reassessing, and will be opting for more draws at home and away defeats. That looks like the best strategy.

Lets hope you lose week in week out then.

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Don’t know why your mentioning penrice about misplaced passes - they have all been guilty of that. As it is he has been outstanding this season and is s great prospect 

a lot of positives today both Brice and mcginty were brilliant 

Well said sir, loads of positives

Just watched the "not over the line" incident.  Spooky that this should happen at the same end and the same part of the goal as with Dundee United in 1993.  Some form of force-field pushing the ball out?  The ghost of some long-forgotten right-back standing on the goal line? 

It occurred to me that "U" shaped stanchions in the top corners of goals were introduced because it was felt the longer ones from the bar down to the ground represented too much of a possibility for rebounds.   These, in turn,  were replaced with nets connected to separate poles behind the goals for the very same reason.  You can't legislate for officials getting something so completely wrong but anyone else think the chances of a ball coming back out would be reduced if the nets weren't strung so tightly - especially the side netting?  

1st 25 minutes we were poor and I feared the worst, but we improved as game went on.

Brice looks a great find, hopefully when he gets his fitness his timing of tackling improves, ref gave him a lot of leeway could easily been booked or worse with tot up.

Defence defenitly improving, hopefullya seetled Keown thrives, but McGinty looks good too.

Erskine was classic Erskine

great to see Banzo back let’s hope he stays clear of injuries 

7 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Could someone in the know explain what process will be followed as regards the failure of the match officials to award such a blatantly obvious goal.

It is fully understood that in marginal situations where the ball hits the bar, bounces down near the goal line and spins out, there is the possibility of a wrong call being made and no blame should be attached, as it all can happen so quickly, without the opportunity for a second look. 

But in this case, the Main Stand side linesman and the referee have clearly been asleep. Even the other linesman should perhaps have had the intelligence to intervene. My understanding is that there is no 4th official for Championship games, but there is a referee supervisor, who presumably would include such a major incident in his report. Where does it go from there and what action might happen? I would have thought at the minimum there would be a suspension from action for re-training in the basics.

It just seemed strange that the officials were so oblivious to the reaction of the Morton players, who initially resignedly accepted that a goal had been scored, and were fairly slow (although they did eventually cotton on) to get on the bandwagon of arguing that the ball had not crossed the line. Some elementary understanding of how football players react should surely be part of referee and linesman training.

Yes, the JHS linesman must have had a similar view to mine and it was clearly over the line. I do not know why he did not contribute.

2 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

Nobody cares!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Just watched the "not over the line" incident.  Spooky that this should happen at the same end and the same part of the goal as with Dundee United in 1993.  Some form of force-field pushing the ball out?  The ghost of some long-forgotten right-back standing on the goal line? 

It occurred to me that "U" shaped stanchions in the top corners of goals were introduced because it was felt the longer ones from the bar down to the ground represented too much of a possibility for rebounds.   These, in turn,  were replaced with nets connected to separate poles behind the goals for the very same reason.  You can't legislate for officials getting something so completely wrong but anyone else think the chances of a ball coming back out would be reduced if the nets weren't strung so tightly - especially the side netting?  

Just watched the "goal" again and it looks as though the ball has either hit the underside of the crossbar or the roof of the net, causing it to spin which then made it bounce back the way it had come. Also, in the papers today Archie is quoted as having said both that the ball hit off the stantion and bounced out and that there is no stantion so it couldn't have bounced off it. The press eh!

26 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

Interesting that in this so called 'sport' not one Morton player said something along the lines of " that was an outright goal Ref, you've got to give it".  He may have changed his mind then. 

I suppose our players would have reacted in the same way had it been the other way round.

I think it's a shame. 

Is there still a rule in the laws of the game about bringing the game into disrepute. Does cheating not fall into that category. If so, I think every Morton player that got involved should be retrospectively booked.

• Like 1