Home v Morton

25 minutes ago, scotty said:

Just watched the "goal" again and it looks as though the ball has either hit the underside of the crossbar or the roof of the net, causing it to spin which then made it bounce back the way it had come. Also, in the papers today Archie is quoted as having said both that the ball hit off the stantion and bounced out and that there is no stantion so it couldn't have bounced off it. The press eh!

Archie said on the radio that the goal not being given was all the more incredible as there's no stantions these days. So looks like typical press misquoting.

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Is there still a rule in the laws of the game about bringing the game into disrepute. Does cheating not fall into that category. If so, I think every Morton player that got involved should be retrospectively booked

To be fair when the 'Les Mottram goal' happened there weren't too many thistle players stopping the referee to tell him he'd missed both a goal and Martin Clark picking up the ball and handing it back to the goalie.

The real question is will the referee and linesman admit their mistake and what will their punishment be? I don't remember Mottram saying sorry and I think he went on to be in charge of referee training so didn't exactly harm his career. I think he also refereed the playoff game at tannadice which given the history was bizarre

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Is there still a rule in the laws of the game about bringing the game into disrepute. Does cheating not fall into that category. If so, I think every Morton player that got involved should be retrospectively booked.

Agree with this.The Morton team quite clearly realised we had scored as they were heading to the centre for the kick off.Also the player who booted the ball out did it because he thought we had scored not to clear his lines.Also about 10minutes or so after the ghost goal Erskine fouled a Morton player and I noticed another Morton player saying to the ref that he should be booked which would have meant a red.

10 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Could someone in the know explain what process will be followed as regards the failure of the match officials to award such a blatantly obvious goal.

It is fully understood that in marginal situations where the ball hits the bar, bounces down near the goal line and spins out, there is the possibility of a wrong call being made and no blame should be attached, as it all can happen so quickly, without the opportunity for a second look. 

But in this case, the Main Stand side linesman and the referee have clearly been asleep. Even the other linesman should perhaps have had the intelligence to intervene. My understanding is that there is no 4th official for Championship games, but there is a referee supervisor, who presumably would include such a major incident in his report. Where does it go from there and what action might happen? I would have thought at the minimum there would be a suspension from action for re-training in the basics.

It just seemed strange that the officials were so oblivious to the reaction of the Morton players, who initially resignedly accepted that a goal had been scored, and were fairly slow (although they did eventually cotton on) to get on the bandwagon of arguing that the ball had not crossed the line. Some elementary understanding of how football players react should surely be part of referee and linesman training.

In a lot of other countries they use goal line technology or I think they even use VAR .At the very least could we not have another official at either goal to hopefully catch incidents like yesterdays and also other things that go on in and around the box.The officials were to blame as their decision is final but I don't think the Morton players come out of this well at all.It was quite clear that they knew we had scored a second goal,but then they argued we hadn't.

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

They could make the ghost goal into an advert.Show the goal and the voiceover person says 'think this isn't a goal , should've went to Specsavers'

Ian Maxwell could use it as a recruitment drive for new refs.

'Think you can do better? Join our courses and we'll show you how to do it perfectly when the ugly sisters need a break.'

1 hour ago, policemans whistle said:

I might be wrong but after the Morton player cleared the ball it lay on the park for a few good seconds. The referee then noticed the Assistant with his flag up[some people would have said aye up sideways1] The ref told a Morton player to put the ball out.

No- it’s very clear from the video (linked below) that the ball was booted straight out. The fud linesman is visible throughout and you can see he continues as if the ball’s not gone in and flags for the throw.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 1

Bell, Elliott, Keown, McGinty, Penrice, Slater, Ntambwe (Bannigan, 75’), Spittal, Erskine (Melbourne, 89’), Storey, Doolan.

This was only my 2nd game this season with the 1st being Celtic cup game which was not really a standard game to judge.

I have hope!  

Bell looks solid.  Kicks better than Cerny and I saw him throw him it out quickly to start games when last season it would have been held.

Elliott and Penrice.  No complaints.  We have 2 decent full backs there.  Melbourne is also there for LB which he did well v Celtic and when he came on he showed good pace.

Keown and McGinty.  Looked solid.  Keown playing like season 16/17.  McGinty had some decent long passes and wins a lot in the air especially due to his height.

Slater.  I really like the look of him.  Keeps possession and is clever with the ball.  High hopes for him.

Ntambwe.  First 5 mins.  WTF?  Was like me back playing 5-a-side after a 2 week holiday.  That long sliding tackle he tried and thankfully missed was like the opening scene of a Casualty episode.  The ref was lenient on him at the beginning.  He grew into the game though and showed strength and fight.  Get him back into some reserves games to build up his fitness and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop.

Bannigan.  Looked very assured.  Cheered onto the pitch and cheered with his first pass.  

Spittal.  He was ok.  Still don't think we use him properly or that he is playing to his full ability.  Don't know where is best position is though.  Number 10?

Erskine.  In and out of the game.  Good goal.  Just classic Erskine.

Storey.  Fast.  Direct.  He scares full backs.  Still not sure if the wing is his best position.  

Doolan.  What a "goal".  Played alright.  Much better when ball played to feet and can hold the ball up but we all know that.

It was an enjoyable game.  Morton looked good at first but we came into the game and deserved the win.

Looking at the team and the players to come in we have 2 new defenders, another attacker plus McCarthy,  Gordon and Storer (who I was surprised did not start), and Mutombo who scored 2 goals in 2 games, Fitzpatrick and Coulibally.  A plethora of options.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

Interesting that in this so called 'sport' not one Morton player said something along the lines of " that was an outright goal Ref, you've got to give it".  He may have changed his mind then. 

I suppose our players would have reacted in the same way had it been the other way round.

I think it's a shame. 

I agree 100% with all of this.

Blatant cheating but we would have been the same. 

The ref should’ve used common sense after the keeper kicked the ball out. Why would he do that if it wasn’t a goal? He should have walked straight over to Scully and asked him if it was a goal. 

12 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

Interesting that in this so called 'sport' not one Morton player said something along the lines of " that was an outright goal Ref, you've got to give it".  He may have changed his mind then. 

I suppose our players would have reacted in the same way had it been the other way round.

I think it's a shame. 

In snooker a player will call a foul against himself if the referee doesn't spot it.Some other sports should follow that example and encourage the players to be more honest.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree 100% with all of this.

Blatant cheating but we would have been the same. 

The ref should’ve used common sense after the keeper kicked the ball out. Why would he do that if it wasn’t a goal? He should have walked straight over to Scully and asked him if it was a goal. 

It wasn't Scully who kicked the ball out. It's just possible he was the only player on the park who didn't see for certain the ball crossing the line, though I very much doubt it. 

I don't suppose it would've done any harm to ask the Morton defender and/or captain if it was a goal. But in a game where it's hardly uncommon for players to feign injury trying to get a fellow professional sent off I would put Morton's antics yesterday way down the gamesmanship ladder.

• Like 1

Who is in charge of the Scottish game now? We have a referee at Firhill who is much nearer the "Ghost goal" but takes the advice of his assistan,t who is much further away. Then at Parkhead, we have Gerrard complaining that the referee did not listen to the 4th official shouting foul. Again the referee is close to the incident and the 4th official is about 40yards away.

1 minute ago, policemans whistle said:

Who is in charge of the Scottish game now? We have a referee at Firhill who is much nearer the "Ghost goal" but takes the advice of his assistan,t who is much further away. Then at Parkhead, we have Gerrard complaining that the referee did not listen to the 4th official shouting foul. Again the referee is close to the incident and the 4th official is about 40yards away.

I've seen a photo of the moment that the ball is over the line and it certainly appears as if the referee is looking in a completely different direction. It's possible on the basis of that photo that he genuinely didn't see the ball crossing the line, at which point he would refer to his assistant for confirmation.

The linesman, however, seems to be looking right at it and doesn't seem to be having his view blocked by anyone so how he can miss that is mind boggling. Even the assistant on the opposite side should have been able to see that it was over the line.

Utterly bizarre.

4 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

Aye and besides the 4th official was John F*ckin' Beaton

17 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It wasn't Scully who kicked the ball out. It's just possible he was the only player on the park who didn't see for certain the ball crossing the line, though I very much doubt it. 

I don't suppose it would've done any harm to ask the Morton defender and/or captain if it was a goal. But in a game where it's hardly uncommon for players to feign injury trying to get a fellow professional sent off I would put Morton's antics yesterday way down the gamesmanship ladder.

As I said in another post a Morton player was asking for Erskine to be yellow carded about ten minutes after the ghost goal,when Erskine fouled a Morton player.Since Erskine had already been booked for protesting about the goal not given if he had been booked it would've been a red.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Aye and besides the 4th official was John F*ckin' Beaton

That explains why he was screaming down the mike.   That's the trouble with being off the pitch, you might tend to think like a fan.  :thumbsup2:

BTW it's a right laugh how that incident is being made as the big excuse for the hvns losing when they should have had their goalie sent off for kicking a Celtic player in the box (incidentally Ferguson did a similar - not a kick but bit of an assault - thing to that Motherwell player who'd been mouthing off before they played).

28 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Interview with Morton caretaker boss and he states their player picked the ball up with hands in box and booted it out into touch and says either goal or penalty.  It is hard to see in clip but if so makes the decision on a par with Mottram.  A farce all round.

26 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Interview with Morton caretaker boss and he states their player picked the ball up with hands in box and booted it out into touch and says either goal or penalty.  It is hard to see in clip but if so makes the decision on a par with Mottram.  A farce all round.

It seems clear on the clip posted above that the ball is simply booted out without being handled. Doesn’t make it any better for the officials as far as I’m concerned, though.

3 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Club paying Dools for goal bonus and like the all round good guy he is he is donating it to charity.  Staggering however as Archie says that still no contact from SFA or ref.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/jags-pay-out-on-dools-goal-bonus-but-await-explanation-on-decision/

Magnificent picture on that link. The linesman is appears to be looking directly at the ball when in the net. I simply cannot fathom how he did not see it go in.

Safe to say Scully knows it's in, also.