Archie, just resign, thanks for your service.

Prince of Partick

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

McNamarra did not get us promoted though. Archie didn’t just get us over the line. Under him the team went an 18 game unbeaten league run. 

If you think that Archibald has taken  us on a decline. Look what McNammara did at York - from 4th tier to 6th tier now.

Our situation is worrying and it is probably time for someone new to come in - but please not Jackie McNamarra.

Give Archie credit for getting us over the line but it was McNamara ‘s team in essence , the way we’re going just now  , it’ll be a top six team to a third tier team within  a couple of years.

Within any failing business if you don’t react there is only one outcome, the manager has lost the confidence in the majority of supporters, it should be changed .

2 minutes ago, sandy said:

It’s not acceptable to lose to East Fife. But excessive negativity against Archie/Board is not the answer.

Get behind the Jags

for negativity, AA's after-match comments take some beating. basically, he said the players don't listen to him, they don't do as he tells them and that we got the result we deserved against east fife - i repeat, EAST FIFE !!!!!! all in all, he didn't sound very positive that he can arrest this alarming decline. 

3 hours ago, allyo said:

Im not comparing the squads for quality, and I'm not saying that the right back situation doesn't concern me (particularly as I think Elliott has been struggling since his Ayr United disaster). 

Elliot  was struggling in his role as defensive giver of gifts long before the Ayr United game. 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Short term thinking will get us in a relegation battle this season, we’re starting to get into a routine where it’s acceptable to be beaten by East Fife . 

Facts are McNamara turned our drifting club around, instilled a professionalism within the Club , started the Sports Science to help with fitness levels etc. 

He had contacts within football to pick a player , Taylor Sinclair, SODS , Muirhead , Craigen,Scott Fox etc , made Paul Paton into a good holding midfielder instead of a run of the mill full back.

Archie got us over the line and he should get credit for that but it was McNamara’ s team 

As regards Dundee Utd , he signed  Andy Robertson ( whatever happened to him ) His problems started when he lost Robertson, Gault , Armstrong , Mackay Stevens and Cifti almost at the one time , not many teams would have recovered from that .

I would take him back in a minute , despite the circumstances in which he left.

Negativity has set in within the Club and Supporters , it has to be changed.

There are some fair points in here. I wouldn’t have him back and the way he treated the club was bush league and he definitely got found out at a higher level trying to be too clever by half but McNamara was the right man at the right time to give the McCall team the edge it needed. He had his own share of mediocrity (as anyone who watched that game at Culter can testify) but the bottom line is we wouldn’t have had the essential core of that title winning side without his name, his contacts, his way of doing things etc.

Archie was a better fit for getting that excellently assembled system over the line and was decent enough keeping the momentum going for a while, and we will always be grateful for his service to the club but bottom line is the arse has fallen out of his team, he has no new ideas and he can’t build a team from scratch.

There would have been much to be said for an Ian McCall-like figure for a root and branch rebuild of the like the board purported to provide Archie the resources to do. There’d have been a case for bringing in a McNamara-type figure if we had held on to a few more players from the relegated team, to refocus the minds of players who were unfit, well short of their potential, and clearly hadn’t the respect for Archie for that grouping to work.

What we have instead is the equivalent of an architect who can only build extensions after his client’s just agreed to demolish, and has swung a great big wrecking ball through, the main house. There might be some nice original features that aren’t damaged by the demolition (Erskine and Doolan). There might be a nice new kitchen installed too, but the hob and oven aren’t connected up yet (Coulibaly), the roof isn’t watertight because there’s not enough layers of slate (right back), and having failed to clear the rubble someone’s dropped the new fireplace (O’Ware) and cracked the marble before so much as a log fire has even been burned.

The ambitious plans for a mansion (competitive budget) are squandered on being housed in the local Premier Inn (loan signings off Dundee United) but because the architect is a mate, the project manager won’t bring another one in and even if he could he’d hire the cheapest one, probably a guy who’s an excellent brickie but has done some techy drawings in evening classes.

Okay this metaphor got away from me a bit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I feel like with every successive failure, Archie supporters are being asked, “Is this enough to change your mind?”  And the answer continues to be, “No, onto the next.”

So for the staunch Archie supporters out there, is there a limit to your unwavering support?  Would it be another relegation?  Failure to at least make playoffs?  Something in between?  Would Archie be untouchable this season no matter what?

46 minutes ago, sandy said:

Er, it’s get behind the Jags. Believe!

Unfortunately after 5 years believing that things will change in the ways that are required is at odds with the evidence that has been provided.

Add to this that we've seen the story before (relegation from the premier league followed by failing to take ruthless action leading to a decline over a number of years happen ) and its not difficult to see why blind faith isn't going to change this.

Losing games to tactical mistakes or individual errors is something that you can see how it can be improved however lacking desire and a will to win is the biggest problem and its becoming more of a feature of Archie's team. After 5 years how do you bring that back to the squad?

It can in part be done by signing players that would kick their grannie to get 3 points (Hamilton excel at this) but we have signed largely technical players. So we will probably have some decent wins at firhill but I don't fancy our chances on a wet night away to Alloa.

It can also be addressed by changing either the management team or changing the culture at the club.

Sacking Archie in the summer wasn't the only choice when it came to changing the management team. We could have went for a more experienced coach who had a bit more fire in his belly.

Changing the culture at the club would have required sacking the management team in the summer to show that failure isn't without repercussions.

However we are were are and whilst loosing to East Fife isn't great because the competition is of such low importance its not the result that will make the board act. The earliest they would act , in my opinion, would be after the Alloa game on the 20th October if results continue to be poor.

56 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

There are some fair points in here. I wouldn’t have him back and the way he treated the club was bush league and he definitely got found out at a higher level trying to be too clever by half but McNamara was the right man at the right time to give the McCall team the edge it needed. He had his own share of mediocrity (as anyone who watched that game at Culter can testify) but the bottom line is we wouldn’t have had the essential core of that title winning side without his name, his contacts, his way of doing things etc.

Archie was a better fit for getting that excellently assembled system over the line and was decent enough keeping the momentum going for a while, and we will always be grateful for his service to the club but bottom line is the arse has fallen out of his team, he has no new ideas and he can’t build a team from scratch.

There would have been much to be said for an Ian McCall-like figure for a root and branch rebuild of the like the board purported to provide Archie the resources to do. There’d have been a case for bringing in a McNamara-type figure if we had held on to a few more players from the relegated team, to refocus the minds of players who were unfit, well short of their potential, and clearly hadn’t the respect for Archie for that grouping to work.

What we have instead is the equivalent of an architect who can only build extensions after his client’s just agreed to demolish, and has swung a great big wrecking ball through, the main house. There might be some nice original features that aren’t damaged by the demolition (Erskine and Doolan). There might be a nice new kitchen installed too, but the hob and oven aren’t connected up yet (Coulibaly), the roof isn’t watertight because there’s not enough layers of slate (right back), and having failed to clear the rubble someone’s dropped the new fireplace (O’Ware) and cracked the marble before so much as a log fire has even been burned.

The ambitious plans for a mansion (competitive budget) are squandered on being housed in the local Premier Inn (loan signings off Dundee United) but because the architect is a mate, the project manager won’t bring another one in and even if he could he’d hire the cheapest one, probably a guy who’s an excellent brickie but has done some techy drawings in evening classes.

You watch a lot of the Home channel then.

58 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Do you work in B&Q ?

• Haha 1

I think Archie is to comfortable in his job all the crap results in the last 18 - 24 months has seen excuse after excuse injuries bad luck etc etc but excuses are like ********* we all have one

Arches had his day I asked years ago for Ian Macoll for manager that work out ok we got a team that lasted for years and is just coming to the end of the road now  we owe Ian a great deal now and bless him when he was asked about sacking Archie he replied that it was crazy Iwonder what he would say now  

I enjoyed the championship winning year and the first year in the premier league some great moments some outstanding performances from a great team but it’s been eroded bit by bit until we have  ended up where we are now sinking lower by the week 

I remember when the young teams were playing and they wanted them to play the same way as the first team  god forbid I hope they  don’t as the end result is horrendous we are better than this Archie is tactically clueless and the players know this and I think they have just given up team selection is baffling sometimes does Archie see a different game to us keeps playing  the same losing tactics 

i remember when Gerry got the joint managers job he wasn’t afforded the same time as our current pair but he doesn’t seem to be doing anything about it as far as I can see going to end with asking the board  to put Archie on gardening leave and put him up to the new training ground to plant tatties at least then Colin Weir will get some return for his investment in this lousy setup we have at the moment I will never stop supporting this club but as a conservative member once quoted it’s thin gruel at the moment and needs to be addressed 

6 hours ago, sandy said:

McNamara was a busted flush, his outcomes at DU and York proved that. McCall had an eye for talent, but without Bobbie Dinnie it would have been predominately of the equine variety.

Archie took foundations and built on them. Cut him some slack; he got us promoted and we stayed up for 5 years. He can do this again. 

Short-term thinking doesn’t bring success 

Plainly not true the English premiership is full of apparently short term teams who seem to do quite well eg Watford 

An analysis by the bbc showed that over the last five years every bottom half team who changed manager improved their points ratio

50 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Since we got into the top six in April 2017 our results are

played 65

won 15

thats long enough 

Deary me, the Donald Trump of Partick Thistle stats strikes yet again.

In competitive action, Alan Archibald's Thistle have won 19 out of 64 matches post-split 2017.

Put some effort in man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

In competitive action, Alan Archibald's Thistle have won 19 out of 64 matches post-split 2017.

Put some effort in man.

Would that the management and players put the same attention to detail on the field of play as you do to producing your statistical analysis TJR.

Thanks as always!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Put some effort in man.

By comparison, Lambie’s final season (largely considered a success) had 10  wins in 41 competitive games (less than 25%)