Archie or the Board

Lenziejag

The board should have had the baws to pump Archie a long time ago. To be successful you need to make tough decisions. The longer this is allowed to go on shows weakness at the board. The only thing keeping Archie in the job now is sentiment and a 'jobs for the boys' mentality. The results are damning and performances disheartening. It shouldnt even be a difficult decision anymore

• Like 1

There was talk that Archibald handed in his notice after the Livingston game, but it was rejected and the board convinced him he was the man to lead us back to the top flight. If that's true, the current predicament lies more with them than on Archie himself.

Neither are blameless, but this board seem awfully cowardly to me. Easier just to chuck Archie back into the firing line than actually go looking for a competent replacement.

We're a shell of a team these days. No tactics, no leadership, no desire. Stumbling about from one loss to the next. If the board can't see that, they have to go as well as the manager.

Edited by Roque
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roque said:

Neither are blameless, but this board seem awfully cowardly to me. Easier just to chuck Archie back into the firing line than actually go looking for a competent replacement.

I largely disagree that this is cowardly- in fact I consider it the braver option. Sacking the manager at the end of last season would have attracted little criticism. Accepting his resignation if indeed tendered would have attracted no criticism whatsoever. By keeping him, they’ve attracted far more criticism, to the point that people are asking for the board to go.

• Like 2

i trust some of the 'great work behind the scenes...' includes reminding our manager that before buying our season tickets we were promised that we would see a return to 'playing the thistle way...';for the past 18 months or so 'playing the thistle way' has been both massively boring and monumentally unsuccessful - this despite having also been promised a 'competitive budget..' i feel that i was massively misled...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, robphil said:

i trust some of the 'great work behind the scenes...' includes reminding our manager that before buying our season tickets we were promised that we would see a return to 'playing the thistle way...';for the past 18 months or so 'playing the thistle way' has been both massively boring and monumentally unsuccessful - this despite having also been promised a 'competitive budget..' i feel that i was massively misled...

Why don’t you contact the club and ask for a refund. 

You might not get a refund but at least they will be really professional about it.........hold on we have been in the Premier for the last few years so really we should be on the ball by now maybe the Chairperson and Gerry should concentrate more on football matters as that seems to be the main problem right now 

• Like 1

Is stability and time not the answer? Look at Roy mcgregor at Ross County. Getting rid of the manager or managers is not the Answer.  I'm sure Archie, his backroom team and the board have the clubs best interests at heart. I'm sure the manager and players don't go out on a Saturday to lose. 

56 minutes ago, TartanC4 said:

Is stability and time not the answer? Look at Roy mcgregor at Ross County. Getting rid of the manager or managers is not the Answer.  I'm sure Archie, his backroom team and the board have the clubs best interests at heart. I'm sure the manager and players don't go out on a Saturday to lose. 

The last 17 months has seen a visible downward spiral in both performances and results. This is coupled with a recruitment policy that seems ill-planned and has unquestionably been ineffective.

The performances and results are down to the management, the backroom team and the players. The recruitment policy is down to the board and the management.

The cracks of this time last year have now become fractures that are ultimately due to the inability of the management and the board to identify the reasons for non-performance and consequently addressing them.

If,  as you hypothesise, getting rid of the manager is not the answer, then  what is the answer? The current direction of travel seems to have a certain inevitability about it, and its final destination isn't promotion back to the top league in Scotland.

• Like 1

The whole thing rather reminds me of Sir Humphrey's 4 stages of advising the Foreign Secretary on military intervention.

Stage One: nothing is happening

Stage Two: something is happening but we should do nothing about it

Stage Three: maybe we should do something, but there's nothing we can do

Stage Four: maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now...