Training Ground

scotty

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I really don't understand a lot of this thread. The question to ask is would you rather Thistle had access to state of the art, custom built training facilities or not ?

What we are paying for them and how we use them is a different question, but having access to them is a no brainer.

We could always ship in a few tons of sand to the complex to keep JJ happy. :)

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

There is actually a lot of sense in what JJ is actually saying and one of the most recent examples is Roman Lukaku at Man Utd who said he had became too muscle bound with the wrong training. This impacted on his speed and mobility.

Footballers fitness should be geared more to running and stamina because of the distance covered in a game . I also think we don’t use enough sprint coaches within the game especially with the forwards which would give them a sharpness .

If I remember correctly John Lambie did this at one point, the man was ahead of his time !

Sports Science obviously helps in details of how fit the player is , whether the heart is working at the maximum,  what muscle groups to work on etc.

Probably a balance of old skool and utilising the Sports Science stuff would be good for us at our level .

John Lambie employed both Sprint Coaches and International Middle Distance Runners for the Strength Stamina work - they did this on a Wednesday rather than have a day off - no idea why proffesional athletes get two days off 

Scottish Football is obsessed with bulk -Strength - Players like it because they look good and weight work is easy 

Take a look at Iniesta - Messi - Super Strong but no bulk as they can run fast all day 

16 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Why are you quoting me re above?

Sorry, cos you replied to emsca is all. Popping at him, lesser at you cos you agreed with some of his post.

15 hours ago, AndyMac said:

If today's players are fitter, why are they injured all the time?

If today's players are stronger and tougher why do so many ponce about wearing gloves on mildly cold days?

The late great Bill Shankly was once asked "Who was the greatest player ever to play for you?", without hesitation, Shankly replied "Gerry Byrne". The somewhat surprised interviewer then asked why?

Shankly immediately replied that Byrne was the greatest, because he played in the 1965 FA Cup Final having being injured in the 7th minute and suffering a broken collar bone.

There were no substitutions allowed in those days and Gerry Byrne hid his injury from the opposition for the entire game (as the would have worked it right into him), plus the full thirty minutes extra time. Byrne even managed to provide the cross for one of Liverpool's winning goals. All with a broken collar bone.

Perhaps one of the reasons that today's football is so insipid, sanatised and teadiously boring, is because of footballing youth academies, pummelling out any ounce of natural skill a youngster may have. A strange Orwellian World, where bland identikit Stepford coaches, subject youngsters to the same tired cliched play book, that guarantees to relentlessly churn out uninspiring 3rd rate footballing clones.

In today's footballing world, there would be no place for the likes of Chic Charnley, Bill Shankly and Gerry Bryne. They just wouldn't fit in.

"It is an academic argument anyway as no way of proving one way or another"

In the dark old days before all this advanced expert training. Scotland used to export players far and wide.

Celtic won the 1967 European Cup with every player born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

In the 1974 World Cup finals Scotland never lost a game. In fact Scotland are to this day, the only team not to win the World Cup, having been undefeated in the finals.

Alan Rough as a Thistle player, was the Scotland keeper at the 1978 World Cup finals. In those days only 16 teams qualified for the finals. We were rated with a chance of winning that World Cup and we beat Holland in the group stages, who later went on to the final.

These are just a small selection of some of the successes of Scottish football during this era and as Jimmy Cricket would of said "there's more". Lot's more :)

Loved this post. A "like" just wasn't enough

8 hours ago, elevenone said:

But Scotland skelped them in 82 World Cup so thats us back to being unofficial trophy winners in my eyes :D

Regards modern day coaching, there is a boys team who train in park where I walk my dogs and anytime I have passed this session the coach has been standing preaching to a bunch of disinterested looking lads whilst the balls lie idly at the side.  I know when my son was younger and played this was also the case.  All wrong imo and something that is obviously filtered down from the Largs coaching badges brigade.

Well said. When i were a lad the guy who took the team provided transport and half time oranges and water. End of. The game was left to us kids. We knew who the match winners were. Kids like me got the ball nack at all costs and passed to the skilled kids who'd win the game. Quute a few made it to a high level on this basis.

Our "training" was playing all day every day on hols and weekends daylight allowing and kirbie at night. We played the ball off the wall at the end if the street if you were alone. Always playing with a ball.

I know mamy ex players who don't let their kids play pro youth. Second rate coaching. KIDS DONT NEED CAOCHED JUST GIVE THEM A BALL!!!!

The game is this country started sliding when

A/ teachers went on strike the beginning of the ending of organised school football

B/ recognised pro clubs signing kids at  12 - 14 years and banning them from playing for their BB and local pals football teams AND banned them from playing kick abouts in the park. My Dad refused to let me sign for anyone because of this........that and he knew i was sh1te. Broke it to me gently though.

I know this sounds like crap but you can trace the start of the demise in oir game back to how the 8-14 year olds were treated in the late 70's early 80's

21 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Well said. When i were a lad the guy who took the team provided transport and half time oranges and water. End of. The game was left to us kids. We knew who the match winners were. Kids like me got the ball nack at all costs and passed to the skilled kids who'd win the game. Quute a few made it to a high level on this basis.

Our "training" was playing all day every day on hols and weekends daylight allowing and kirbie at night. We played the ball off the wall at the end if the street if you were alone. Always playing with a ball.

I know mamy ex players who don't let their kids play pro youth. Second rate coaching. KIDS DONT NEED CAOCHED JUST GIVE THEM A BALL!!!!

The game is this country started sliding when

A/ teachers went on strike the beginning of the ending of organised school football

B/ recognised pro clubs signing kids at  12 - 14 years and banning them from playing for their BB and local pals football teams AND banned them from playing kick abouts in the park. My Dad refused to let me sign for anyone because of this........that and he knew i was sh1te. Broke it to me gently though.

I know this sounds like crap but you can trace the start of the demise in oir game back to how the 8-14 year olds were treated in the late 70's early 80's

Interestingly it’s not that Far off from when our national team last qualified for a major tournament 

13 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

John Lambie employed both Sprint Coaches and International Middle Distance Runners for the Strength Stamina work - they did this on a Wednesday rather than have a day off - no idea why proffesional athletes get two days off 

Scottish Football is obsessed with bulk -Strength - Players like it because they look good and weight work is easy 

Take a look at Iniesta - Messi - Super Strong but no bulk as they can run fast all day 

Let's not forget that Lambie also had the players training with the Scottish National Ballet. :D

46 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Also Belgium 1998, England 1982 , Cameroon 1982. 

Belgium also completed their entire World Cup campaign in 1974 not only unbeaten but without even conceding a goal...but didn't make the Finals. They had two 0-0 draws in the qualification group with Johan Cruyff's legendary Dutch Side, won all their other games without losing a goal but lost out on qualifying for the finals on goal difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One t in Scotland said:

Also Belgium 1998, England 1982 , Cameroon 1982. 

40 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Belgium also completed their entire World Cup campaign in 1974 not only unbeaten but without even conceding a goal...but didn't make the Finals. They had two 0-0 draws in the qualification group with Johan Cruyff's legendary Dutch Side, won all their other games without losing a goal but lost out on qualifying for the finals on goal difference.

Excellent work.

Good to see Sunday mornings being put to good use :)

• Like 2

This thread has been brilliant.  How often do you get Kirkintilloch Rob Roy and Scottish Ballet mentioned in the same thread.  How often do you get heated arguments on sand dunes versus astroturf.  World Cup  statistics?  Covered.  Still none the wiser about the training ground tho'.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Rumor is costing of this is now at £7million and may not go ahead

Wtf - surely you arent serious No idea ref your cost but they would have had an accurate cost plan put in place before announcing it and having the Public Consultation - the Chairman said a few weeks ago that it would be ready before next Season and that everything was in place - no talk of cost or budgets - just when it would be ready 

if this turns out to be true -then heads have to Roll - I raised the issue of affordability at the AGM and was told it would be fine 

however the concern is no planning application submitted ? 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Wtf - surely you arent serious No idea ref your cost but they would have had an accurate cost plan put in place before announcing it and having the Public Consultation - the Chairman said a few weeks ago that it would be ready before next Season and that everything was in place - no talk of cost or budgets - just when it would be ready 

if this turns out to be true -then heads have to Roll - I raised the issue of affordability at the AGM and was told it would be fine 

however the concern is no planning application submitted ? 

There is no chance that is going to happen anytime soon , certainly not before June/July , it would have to be applied for first , for the planning application to be approved can take between 2/3 months, then you’ve got building control , fire department certificates etc

Certainly won’t happen in June 

Was there tday and firstly couldn't believe the teamsheet, hav rarely scored or created with this frontline in 2 years, they sign 2 others, supposedly better than wat we've got,  but goes with the tried and tested failures and benches new guys , can't  fathem that 1, Harkins unability to run,and by Caldwell movin banzo to accommodate him, kills th midfield, some on here continue to moan about sideways and backward passes, but these guys dont hav any one forward to pass to, so they retain possession, no runs from forwards or midfielders, most teams remit is  get the ball wide, then cross to big guys who can actually challenge big centrebacks and hopefully score a goal or 2, we dont hav a big striker.. every player out there does wat Caldwell tells them, wether well or badly, Harkins is a luxury we dont need.. Mcginty done his job ok tday but cant win a high ball fr toffee and at 6'5" is unacceptable,  and cconstantly hoofs ball into no mans land or row Z.. Elliott played well, Spittal tried, Banzo best of bunch, even out of position but needs quality flare players to pass to, am fed up  cheerio

7 minutes ago, Keepthebaw said:

Was there tday and firstly couldn't believe the teamsheet, hav rarely scored or created with this frontline in 2 years, they sign 2 others, supposedly better than wat we've got,  but goes with the tried and tested failures and benches new guys , can't  fathem that 1, Harkins unability to run,and by Caldwell movin banzo to accommodate him, kills th midfield, some on here continue to moan about sideways and backward passes, but these guys dont hav any one forward to pass to, so they retain possession, no runs from forwards or midfielders, most teams remit is  get the ball wide, then cross to big guys who can actually challenge big centrebacks and hopefully score a goal or 2, we dont hav a big striker.. every player out there does wat Caldwell tells them, wether well or badly, Harkins is a luxury we dont need.. Mcginty done his job ok tday but cant win a high ball fr toffee and at 6'5" is unacceptable,  and cconstantly hoofs ball into no mans land or row Z.. Elliott played well, Spittal tried, Banzo best of bunch, even out of position but needs quality flare players to pass to, am fed up  cheerio

Wrong thread.:doh:

7 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Rumor is costing of this is now at £7million and may not go ahead

Seriously, would anyone be surprised if this rumour came to fruition? Who in their right mind would invest this kind of cash in a club that in a 18 month- 2 year period has astonishingly crashed to the bottom of the second tier and with no sign of recovery. The club is in a mess due to an array of total horrendous decisions made by this board . Perhaps the Weirs have now woke up and realised that this crowd in charge could not be trusted with  running a bath. 

Edited by mulguy jag

1 minute ago, mulguy jag said:

Seriously, would anyone be surprised if this rumour came to fruition? Who in their right mind would invest this kind of cash in a club that in a 18 month- 2 year period has astonishingly crashed to the bottom of the second tier and with no sign of recovery. The club is in a mess due to an array of total horrendous decisions made by this board . Perhaps the Weirs have now woke up and realised that this crowd in charge could not be trusted with a running a bath. 

Its fair comment - but its not what the Board are saying - it will be ready for start of next Season we were being told a month ago at the AGM 

Now rumours of cancellation and a well known Jags Fan on the Supporters fb page saying instead we are getting 4G at Firhill instead - people have to resign if this is true - its as simple as that 

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

There is no chance that is going to happen anytime soon , certainly not before June/July , it would have to be applied for first , for the planning application to be approved can take between 2/3 months, then you’ve got building control , fire department certificates etc

Certainly won’t happen in June 

Agreed but thats not what was stated at the agm when direct questions were asked and the Trust as the largest shareholder should be seeking clarity of statements made at the agm and publishing the replies   

4 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Its fair comment - but its not what the Board are saying - it will be ready for start of next Season we were being told a month ago at the AGM 

Now rumours of cancellation and a well known Jags Fan on the Supporters fb page saying instead we are getting 4G at Firhill instead - people have to resign if this is true - its as simple as that 

Don't disagree that people have to resign/go. Nevertheless a 4G pitch at Firhill makes very good financial sense. If the plug is pulled though, someone really should do the right thing regards Davie McParland.

2 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Don't disagree that people have to resign/go. Nevertheless a 4G pitch at Firhill makes very good financial sense. If the plug is pulled though, someone really should do the right thing regards Davie McParland.

If all this speculation becomes real , it just brings more humiliation to the club and therefore there must be resignations.