Training Ground

scotty

I wonder whether the folk on here questioning the wisdom of Thistle getting a purpose-built training facility of their own, at no extra cost, wouldn't be among the first to complain about the lack of adequate training facilities if it got scrapped but the first team continued to struggle, regardless of what players scouts recommended.

16 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The cost of the annual lease does

We pay for using various training already so there is no additional cost....it’s like you have a mortgage on a flat for £100 a month and somebody says see for the same money you can have this mansion....Thistle fan no thanks 

15 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The rental fee is based on what we pay for Science Centre which we rented on an SPL budget - what happens if we dont go up for a few years or drop down another division - we cant afford it - we currently have one of the top three training facilties in the league but are third bottom - so training facilities dont mean a lot 

That specific question was asked at the agm and it’s clear the lease cost would be adjusted if we get relegated 

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

We pay for using various training already so there is no additional cost....it’s like you have a mortgage on a flat for £100 a month and somebody says see for the same money you can have this mansion....Thistle fan no thanks 

We paid and budgeted that based being a premiership team and later being straight back up there this season. 

At best we’ll be a championship team next year, at worst a part time 1st division team with low crowds having paid off 2 management teams and now employing a 3rd (or 4th) eating a large chunk of a significantly decreased budget

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I wonder whether the folk on here questioning the wisdom of Thistle getting a purpose-built training facility of their own, at no extra cost, wouldn't be among the first to complain about the lack of adequate training facilities if it got scrapped but the first team continued to struggle, regardless of what players scouts recommended.

It's all very well having a state of the art training facility provided at "mates rates" prices. Nevertheless, it won't sort out our problems as you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

We haven't got a scouting network. Which let's face it is a basic requirement for a club of our size that wants to be successful.

IMO; a scouting network comes well before a state of the art training facility and youth academy. What's the point in either of them if the bodies coming through the door are not good enough?

We are putting the cart before the horse.

If you don't have a suitable scouting network you're going to need a youth academy all the more.

Anyway the Weir's investment is ringfenced. If we're going to be better off financially for having a dedicated training ground then any savings could be diverted towards funding an improved scouting system

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If you don't have a suitable scouting network you're going to need a youth academy all the more.

Anyway the Weir's investment is ringfenced. If we're going to be better off financially for having a dedicated training ground then any savings could be diverted towards funding an improved scouting system

"could" being the operative word. They could and the should fund a scouting network, because presently, it's pretty much non existent.

Are the people running the club capable of putting in the hard graft to set up a successful scouting network? I have my doubts.

A scouting network is pretty dull fare, scoring about 1 out of 10 in the attention grabbing stakes. It just hasn't got the marketing glamour of a youth academy, or the kudos of a state of the art training facility. Nevertheless, having a first class scouting network in place, is an absolutely essential component of a successful footballing club.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:24 AM, eljaggo said:

Can't really see how can you conflate the lack of a training pitch with a struggling first team.   

The facilities at garscube are excellent compared to most. I guess it's that this is a cost and with our own facilities we save money cos kirkie is a gift from the weirs.

Thank feck for the weirs at this difficult time

14 hours ago, AndyMac said:

"could" being the operative word. They could and the should fund a scouting network, because presently, it's pretty much non existent.

Are the people running the club capable of putting in the hard graft to set up a successful scouting network? I have my doubts.

A scouting network is pretty dull fare, scoring about 1 out of 10 in the attention grabbing stakes. It just hasn't got the marketing glamour of a youth academy, or the kudos of a state of the art training facility. Nevertheless, having a first class scouting network in place, is an absolutely essential component of a successful footballing club.

Ran out of likes.

This is common sense ffs you'd think the collective footballing minds over rhe last few seasons would know this.

I was DISGUSTED to hear caldwell admit this at the Q and A recently. Not just him at fault what were archie and shaggy doing about it. The quality of their signings suggests feck all

4 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Ran out of likes.

This is common sense ffs you'd think the collective footballing minds over rhe last few seasons would know this.

I was DISGUSTED to hear caldwell admit this at the Q and A recently. Not just him at fault what were archie and shaggy doing about it. The quality of their signings suggests feck all

Not entirely sure what Caldwell’s scouts are if at all but we will find out in the next few weeks since technically he hasn’t signed anyone yet.  Don’t know how many Archie had or for that matter McNamara 

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Not entirely sure what Caldwell’s scouts are if at all but we will find out in the next few weeks since technically he hasn’t signed anyone yet.  Don’t know how many Archie had or for that matter McNamara 

Re archie and ratnamara, i dunno.

Caldwell said at the Q and A (worth a listen on the thread) he has three volunyary scouts in england and nine in scotland. He and brian cover scotland so it leaves you wondering how many junior and lower leagues games they take in cos these games and being played when we play.

Perhaps they would be better not at our games!!!

I suspect they are looking to their pals who are agents for new players

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Yes twice you weren’t listening  

Ok and what was specically said 

because the Chairperson said the terms were up to the 3 black cats and that we will need to trust her on getting the best terms - the former chairman who openly admitted that he had no idea of the terms said to the effect that those involved are Thistle Fans and the deal wont be detrimental to the Club - despite not knowning the terms - so please enlighten me as to the bit I missed when I wasnt listening ? 

As neither of those reaponses made on the night actually say anything ? 

On 12/22/2018 at 10:27 AM, javeajag said:

That specific question was asked at the agm and it’s clear the lease cost would be adjusted if we get relegated 

That was never actually stated - alluded to in nice nod and wink not to worry and to trust them - but it wasnt actually stated as I pushed to get a confirmation and didnt get one - so we are at risk of not being able to afford the training ground which is why I asked the question 

3 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

That was never actually stated - alluded to in nice nod and wink not to worry and to trust them - but it wasnt actually stated as I pushed to get a confirmation and didnt get one - so we are at risk of not being able to afford the training ground which is why I asked the question 

Do you think the Weirs would finance a training ground "for Thistle" that the club might not be able to afford?

8 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

No

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Do you think the Weirs would finance a training ground "for Thistle" that the club might not be able to afford?

Perhaps the Weirs back-up plan is to have a community football center which Thistle can also use, spreading the risk and maximizing the income, and probably making it easier to get (changed) planning permission