QOS

eljaggo

Would be delighted with any win but makes it even sweeter that we came from behind twice to do so.

We can't keep defending the way we are though and expect to win games. It's really sloppy and our goals against shows that we simply aren't good enough in that department. Letting in far too easily.

Brilliant finish from Spittal for his second goal, it just shows what a bit of confidence can do. He hasn't kicked his arse this season but had a very good game today.

I've been McGinty's biggest critic, mainly because of his aimless lumps up the park, but he was a different player today with the ball at his feet. Always looking to pass the ball and it certainly helped keep possession more. Got involved at the first goal with the pass to Elliott but was stuck out on the right wing when Queens broke for their second goal. 

Don't think Bannigan misplaced one pass the whole game. They guy is on a different level and it was great to see him start the match. He will get better as he gets fitter as well.

I thought Erskine had a poor game, gave the ball away a lot and failed to create much. Storey works hard but what on earth was he doing with the chance at the end? Criminal!

Entertaining first half, tense  second half.  Banzo and Slater ran the game early on and we passed the ball well but still contrived to lose 2 slack goals. Pleased for Spittal  - he has taken a lot of criticism but there is a decent player there - thumping goal and great pass at end for Storey's horrible miss. Back 4 picks itself - there's nobody else which is a worry. Elliot was very poor again - not good in defence and not a threat going forward - our style of play needs good crosses from the wings - he and Storey don't deliver.                             Home performances have saved Archie - the really awful results have been away - good 3 points but we don't have promotion look 

Our all or nothing season continues. Must admit after 25 minutes thought we were going to get nothing. Good 3 points. Plus points we came back from being behind twice to win,Bannigan and Spittal's display, Doolan scoring and getting a goal and not a throw in.Down side by far our defence although we did well in the second half.

It took us a while to realise that we need to score goals to win games. We were up to our usual square baws, easy back passes until we were behind. We scored a couple of good goals then the 2nd half was as bad as usual. Sat back never looked a threat in an attacking sense. In the end we were lucky to take the 3 points. Banzo did well and keown sorted himself out second half throwing his body in front of everything. However brice took seeing to believe, he doesnt convince me that he is a footballer at all. In summary we won and for me it was long overdue.

2 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Elliot was very poor again - not good in defence and not a threat going forward - our style of play needs good crosses from the wings - he and Storey don't deliver.                        

Elliott was indeed poor in defence but he had one of his better games going forward. His passes were mostly well weighted, particularly in the 2nd half, and also his judgment was much improved. 

Don't believe anyone will question the players commitment today, which is refreshing. Still feel we lack that midfield leadership quality. Banzo may be able to fill that role in time but for now it's better he just gets own with his own game. Was a nerve wracking 2nd half. Dools was an inch or so away from easing the strain but the final whistle couldn't come quick enough. We could've shut the game down better to protect the lead but it's that bit harder playing against 11 men and John Beaton.  It's not so much the blatant errors that man makes, and there's no shortage of them, it's his apparent disinterest in whether he's made a correct decision that rankles. How can players show respect for a referee when he himself appears to have little self respect? A total joke of an official.

I won't go along with those who write off Christie Elliott as a full back. In my opinion it's his only position and he's done very well there over several years in the premier league. However he's clearly lacking confidence, very poor on form, and the lack of an alternative is worrying.  Don't think the captaincy is helping. 

Won today despite our defending. I still think there is a decent team in there, worthy of challenging, and the question for me is whether the management can organise them and get them fulfilling potential. 

• Like 1

From where I was sitting the first goal came from him and Spittal not being able to decide who should go to the man with the ball. That sort of indecision is not good for any player but when one of them is the captain its a real problem.

As we don't have another right back we need to continue with Elliot but there are others in the team who have greater credentials for being captain. Bannigan after a run of games would be the obvious choice and Keown's commitment today was much more captain like than some others however McGinty is the one that consistently impresses me. He is commanding in the air and has stopped the hoofballs. His pass to Spittal for the opening goal was the difference between another ponderous 30 pass side to side movement and something with an actual cutting edge. He also bailed out Penrice a few times and Elliot at least once.

2 hours ago, MonehJags said:

It took us a while to realise that we need to score goals to win games. We were up to our usual square baws, easy back passes until we were behind. We scored a couple of good goals then the 2nd half was as bad as usual. Sat back never looked a threat in an attacking sense. In the end we were lucky to take the 3 points. Banzo did well and keown sorted himself out second half throwing his body in front of everything. However brice took seeing to believe, he doesnt convince me that he is a footballer at all. In summary we won and for me it was long overdue.

In what regard where we lucky?

2 hours ago, allyo said:

I won't go along with those who write off Christie Elliott as a full back. In my opinion it's his only position and he's done very well there over several years in the premier league. However he's clearly lacking confidence, very poor on form, and the lack of an alternative is worrying.  Don't think the captaincy is helping. 

Won today despite our defending. I still think there is a decent team in there, worthy of challenging, and the question for me is whether the management can organise them and get them fulfilling potential. 

Trust me if he wasn't  the only choice he wouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team. Today he is a liability anyone who disagree knows nothing about football.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Metz said:

Trust me if he wasn't  the only choice he wouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team. Today he is a liability anyone who disagree knows nothing about football.

I disagree. He is not a superstar but he gives his all. Its a team game and he does his best. To say he is a liability is pretty shameful in my book.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MonehJags said:

To be fair we hit the post in the second half and then had storeys incredible miss - I don’t recall Queen of the south having better chances than those in the second half 

24 minutes ago, Metz said:

In what regard where we lucky?

Where you in attendance? We clung on for the entire 2nd half. QOS deserved at least a point but thankfully we held on. Apart from the Doolan chance on the break and the disgraceful attempt at running with the ball by storey we were toothless in the final third. What must aidan be thinking when brice gets a game ahead if him. What a joke. As I said, thankfully we won

First half ended far to soon, the team learned late on to win you must attack. Archibald has excelled himself again by putting bread on the table of the agent who sold him Number 39, his name isn't even worth a mention, also Archie is notorious for bad substitutions but FFSake how can 39 possibly be ahead of Fitzpatrick!!!!!!!!. What ever happened to McCarthy? perhaps Archibald is keeping him for the next old firm game.......

No wonder the h*ns punted Cammy, yet another keeper who doesn't or cant control his area who is quite content to stand on his line and add to the panic when ever a high ball comes into the box. There is the making of a team here at Firhill but Archibald will never be the man to build one. This is a poor league a half decent team is in with a chance. a good manager would definitely give Partick Thistle a fighting chance...................39!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus     

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

To be fair we hit the post in the second half and then had storeys incredible miss - I don’t recall Queen of the south having better chances than those in the second half 

Is two chances on the break really good enough, given the Storey effort was in effect just an attempt to run down the clock. We never controlled the game at any point in the 2nd half

Great result. The team is starting to show a lot more fight, coming back from behind to get results. Even last week, pulling it back from 3-0 to 3-2 showed a good deal more fight.

Very pleased for Blair Spittal, he has been the No1 scapegoat for all our ills and has taken an awful lot of stick, hopefully this performance will get folk off his back and he will go from strength to strength.

If Stuart Bannigan had been forced to retire, it would not only have been a loss to Thistle, it would have been a great loss to the game itself, he's a proper cut above and getting better with age.

Overall, things could be better, but then again, things could be much much worse.

This was yet another big game for Archie & Shaggy, we still have a 100% home record, if we can start picking up some points on the road; who knows? we may well be there, or there about at the end of the season. Which; following a truly dismal relegation and pretty haphazard team rebuild, would be no mean feat indeed.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sabbath said:

First half ended far to soon, the team learned late on to win you must attack. Archibald has excelled himself again by putting bread on the table of the agent who sold him Number 39, his name isn't even worth a mention, also Archie is notorious for bad substitutions but FFSake how can 39 possibly be ahead of Fitzpatrick!!!!!!!!. What ever happened to McCarthy? perhaps Archibald is keeping him for the next old firm game.......

No wonder the h*ns punted Cammy, yet another keeper who doesn't or cant control his area who is quite content to stand on his line and add to the panic when ever a high ball comes into the box. There is the making of a team here at Firhill but Archibald will never be the man to build one. This is a poor league a half decent team is in with a chance. a good manager would definitely give Partick Thistle a fighting chance...................39!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus     

Explain what you mean by “making of a team” do you mean that we are a couple of players short and Archie won’t sign the correct ones?

I believe McCarthy is still injured and he subbed on Natambwe as he is a DM and the strength they Fitzpatrick dose’t have,I don’t think he done anything wrong when he came on it was more that the whole team was hanging on which made him look worse.

Is there any chance of Sneddon being given the opportunity of establishing himself as Number 1 keeper? He has generally looked good, got down low quickly when required and recycled the ball speedily and efficiently.

Queens' first goal brought back unhappy memories of Schalk scoring against Scully with a daisy cutter at the near post in the top 6 decider against Ross County a couple of seasons back.

Mentioning Ross County reminds me that they along with St Johnstone used to be the masters of time wasting until Queens took that accolade today. Surely 5 minutes into a game is far too early to start that? I can understand running down the clock towards the end, but beginning so soon must instil a negative attitude.

Edited by partickthedog
Wrong squad goalie!

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Is there any chance of Stevenson being given the opportunity of establishing himself as Number 1 keeper? He has generally looked good, got down low quickly when required and recycled the ball speedily and efficiently.

Queens' first goal brought back unhappy memories of Schalk scoring against Scully with a daisy cutter at the near post in the top 6 decider against Ross County a couple of seasons back.

Mentioning Ross County reminds me that they along with St Johnstone used to be the masters of time wasting until Queens took that accolade today. Surely 5 minutes into a game is far too early to start that? I can understand running down the clock towards the end, but beginning so soon must instil a negative attitude.

By Stevenson, I assume you mean Sneddon?

From the highlights: Phew! Another case of letting them back into it...twice, but getting away without conceding the second time.

Some good attacking play... Dools scored after 18 passes without an opposition player touching the ball.

Decent to good stuff from Bell, Elliott, Penrice (looking stronger and better every week), Bannigan, Storey (who found himself with "miles" of space according to Jagzone, haha), Spittal, and the Doolmeister.

Archie remains safe.

Elliot cost us the 1st goal. I don’t know whether it is being captain, or that he has no competition for starting but that’s a few games now that he has been caught out at the start of the game. Penrice also got caught a few times, particularly 2nd half. We were pretty good going forward today and a number of times Storey was heading for their box, but passed before getting in. I think that he could win a few more penalties if he carried on to the penalty box.

Great to see Doolan on one of his scoring runs

I didn't think the second half was as bad as some people are making out. I'd have liked to see us holding the ball better and attacking more, but I didn't think we were particularly threatened and I always felt pretty confident that we were going to win the game.

Mention for Storey, who is understandably getting a lot of stick for his miss at the end, but his run and pass for Doolan's shot off the post was outstanding, and I think his pace frightened them. He's another case where, if he just had the belief (particularly in front of goal) and could maximise potential, we'd have a great asset.

41 minutes ago, allyo said:

I didn't think the second half was as bad as some people are making out. I'd have liked to see us holding the ball better and attacking more, but I didn't think we were particularly threatened and I always felt pretty confident that we were going to win the game.

Mention for Storey, who is understandably getting a lot of stick for his miss at the end, but his run and pass for Doolan's shot off the post was outstanding, and I think his pace frightened them. He's another case where, if he just had the belief (particularly in front of goal) and could maximise potential, we'd have a great asset.

Archie says storey cramped up on that chance at the end.