Dunfermline away.

Garscube Road End

53 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ayr United fans must be pretty pleased that their club stuck by Ian McCall after "he got" them relegated two seasons ago, but "got them" promoted again at the first attempt, and who has "got them" currently sitting nicely at the top of our division. And playing great attacking football, from the clips that I've watched.

A question for those with better statto-type memories than me:

Have we ever stuck with a manager "who got" us relegated but who then "got us" promoted again the following season?

Dick Campbell.

Also isn’t the key difference here that Ayr as a club in terms of size and resources should expect to be (at best) in a perpetual scrap in the second tier, occasionally finishing a creditable 6th or 7th, and are fundamentally a yo-yo team. When McCall took Ayr down it wasn’t particularly beneath expectations. They also went down the year after they’d just scraped up through the play-offs anyway too, so expectations again were probably lower.

For example I would have been less annoyed at Archibald if we had gone straight back down in 2013-14 than the manner in which we did in 2017-18.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

22 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Dick Campbell.

Also isn’t the key difference here that Ayr as a club in terms of size and resources should expect to be (at best) in a perpetual scrap in the second tier, occasionally finishing a creditable 6th or 7th, and are fundamentally a yo-yo team. When McCall took Ayr down it wasn’t particularly beneath expectations. They also went down the year after they’d just scraped up through the play-offs anyway too, so expectations again were probably lower.

For example I would have been less annoyed at Archibald if we had gone straight back down in 2013-14 than the manner in which we did in 2017-18.

Ah yes, the Bunnet. How could I forget! Dire, dire, dire football, but yon day at Peterhead..... too fantastic for words!

2 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Yes there has been a gradual decline. Literally your own figures suggest this. If home crowds fall from 2800 to 2400 ish then they have fallen gradually.

It’s probably too early to tell if that initial decline is to be sustained within this season. It is clear that home crowds were waning during last season too though and that once you strip out the big travelling supports/Lambie day, that’s reflected in the crowd stats.

What happened to only the current season being relevant which you asserted in just your last post.

Incidentally, I agree with you that it is only this season that matters now.

6 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

What happened to only the current season being relevant which you asserted in just your last post.

Incidentally, I agree with you that it is only this season that matters now.

I didn’t say only the current season is relevant. I said that the seasons including or before 2016-17 weren’t relevant to the current predicament.

Last season very much is relevant to that predicament because it is directly responsible for us being in the league we are now and the resulting clearing out of the old squad and assembling of the current one were two causally linked processes undertaken by (largely) the same backroom team.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, Jaggernaut said:

Ah yes, the Bunnet. How could I forget! Dire, dire, dire football, but yon day at Peterhead..... too fantastic for words!

That was a memorable day, I had to buy a ticket in the home end - bloody lucky we were!

But the Bunnet was shite