Archie sacked

marcia blaine

28 minutes ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Thanks for the promotion top 6 etc. Archie still a club legend but it was time long before this. Now it’s up to Gerry and co. to appoint the right man and get us back up the table.

Archie out or Archie in it’s now time to get behind the team and new manager no more splits all together mon the jags.

Nice sentiment but you obviously don't visit this forum often. Unfortunately it is plagued by posters that wish nothing but ill and negativity towards the club, it's staff and frequently pop in to cause division when there is a poor result.  The best you can hope for is that they enjoy the moment and skulk off for a while let's face it they have waited for it for the past 5 years.

Many thanks Archie and Scott it is the right decision at the wrong time but thanks for the good times.

• Like 1

Have to say I do feel hurt by this ,it was undoubtedly time ,but it’s no less easier. What Archie has done for this club as both a player and a manager over 20 years is astounding and we should be forever greatful to him. It breaks my heart that it ended the way it did but the jig was up and thinking positively I do actually think we have a squad with the potential to push and do a lot of damage in this league with the correct new guidance. Thank you for the memories.  Archibald’s red and yellow army. 

19 minutes ago, simoncordiner said:

Correct decision. Been a long long time since I’ve seen a Thistle team play for 90 minutes. Just not enough intensity or consistency in our play.  Now time to find the right manager. This squad is good enough to do well. 

Time will tell but I think it is the right call by the Board.

Can accept getting beat but not in the manner of today or last week at Dunfermline.

Archie and Shaggy had ran out of ideas and did not seem to  know how change games when needed. Have no doubt they are good guys who were doing their best, but time for fresh ideas and impetus.

Archie and Shaggy had the fans backing from the word go, every Thistle fan wanted them to be a success and to a certain extent they were but in reality Thistle have been on a decline since finishing top 6 18 months ago.  The right decision has been made but im still a bit gutted for them.

Poor tactics and signings dont get results.

We've been signing players that no-one else wants so no wonder its bottom end of the championship.

Some of those players need to take a look at themselves and need a kick up the backside as well.

Who's next then, Duffy, Lennon?

Who would want it?

Cheers Archie & Shaggy up until that top 6 finish it was great.

22 minutes ago, Metz said:

Nice sentiment but you obviously don't visit this forum often. Unfortunately it is plagued by posters that wish nothing but ill and negativity towards the club, it's staff and frequently pop in to cause division when there is a poor result.  The best you can hope for is that they enjoy the moment and skulk off for a while let's face it they have waited for it for the past 5 years.

Many thanks Archie and Scott it is the right decision at the wrong time but thanks for the good times.

That sounds like a very divisive and ridiculous post to make.

It shouldnt have been allowed to continue this season after the manner of our playoff disaster. There has been a defeatist attitude around the club for too long now. Excuse followed by excuse.

Archie and Scott are and forever will be Thistle legends and I wish them luck in whatever they do next

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Metz said:

Too many sherbets?

A sad day but the appropriate decision.  I commented after the Queen of the South game that our home performances last season and this  had saved Archie as the really awful displays had been away  - the lacklustre show today was the end.

I thought that Archie's record merited giving him to the end of last season and really hoped that he would turn it round this season after his reprieve.  However, his failure to field an effective midfield last season  and the poor quality of defenders this season was just poor management.

Archie is a real Thistle man and always acted with dignity. Unfortunately he eventually came up a bit short but the top 6 finish was a fine achievement and the wins against Morton to clinch promotion and against Hearts at Tynecastle to stay up are two of my best memories of supporting Thistle.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, West Ender said:

Many, many thanks to Archie and Scott. I hope you get new jobs and prosper. Onwards and upwards for the jags!

Echo this. 

Don't subscribe to the view the decision was long overdue but probably should've been made a few weeks ago. Off the top of my head I can realistically think of perhaps just one potential manager that we can bring in that has a reasonable chance to turn things around. So with that in mind I hope some homework has been done and we can look in a direction that takes us away from considering the majority of usual suspects.

I've spoken to many a Jags fan over the last few months re the manager situation and, whilst there's been no shortage of folk believing the time was up for Archie, I've not really heard any serious suggestions as to who'll be a potential replacement. That of course is no endorsement for what was up to a few hours ago the status quo. 

The oft mentioned lack of leadership on the field, something that was blatantly obvious today, only compounds the situation. No strong characters on the field more or less guarantee there'll be next to no chance of a deid cat bounce to tide us over.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

All the best to Scott and Archie - thanks for the championship promotion, that night v Morton seeing the old lady rammed full with Thistle fans and for the top 6 memories . :thumbsup2:

As for Bryza's comment on who would want it, I'd like to think that a club in a vibrant footballing city that usually stands by its managers and allows them to develop without unrealistic targets would have a queue of quality candidates round the block by next Friday.

I'm just not sure that bouncing back up in year 1 is a realistic target. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Metz said:

There may be one or two who only post negative stuff but there’s also people who would have had Archie here forever most people just voiced their opinions and gave credit when due.

Unedeed post imo.

There is no sentiment in football, you are judged by results. To say that this decision was long over due is up there with the greatest understatements of all time. Its a big hard tough world out there and we've all had to make our way through it. I see comments about getting another job in football, my advice son would be to pick another career path. Now is the time to look for a proper manager who could build a team the way McNamara done, a team that not only can attack and score but can defend. This season is lost its now a case of survival, it will be a time whereby the board will now have to prove themselves. 

Sad day. So very disappointed it has ended this way, no one should like to see anyone loose their job but the signs have been there for about 2 years and clearly this is the right decision. All the best to both in the future and thanks for some great games

I wouldn’t say the season is a lost cause, aye we’ll not win the league but we’re only 2 points off 4th, I’d be happy if we could reach the playoffs this year and see how that goes. We need someone to come in and boot a few baws and shake the dressing room up a bit, too many players have been too safe being played every week no matter how shecht they are. 

44 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

I wouldn’t say the season is a lost cause, aye we’ll not win the league but we’re only 2 points off 4th, I’d be happy if we could reach the playoffs this year and see how that goes. We need someone to come in and boot a few baws and shake the dressing room up a bit, too many players have been too safe being played every week no matter how shecht they are. 

This. Get the right person in and we can still do well this season as I feel we do have a decent squad.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Having a descent squad is why we got relegated.

You seem to be missing the point. We could have the greatest players in the world, the fact was, the dumpin we had in charge couldn't organise or motivate eff all. We have players who should save us from relegation. If we get a real manager in, we should be safe to try next season. If only Jackie would come back and build a team like before that Archibald took the credit for.

• Haha 1