Archie sacked

marcia blaine

7 hours ago, sabbath said:

Now is the time to look for a proper manager who could build a team the way McNamara done, a team that not only can attack and score but can defend. This season is lost its now a case of survival, it will be a time whereby the board will now have to prove themselves. 

4 hours ago, sabbath said:

. If only Jackie would come back and build a team like before that Archibald took the credit for.

Sabbath reveals his true identity?  :thinking:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sabbath said:

There is no sentiment in football, you are judged by results. To say that this decision was long over due is up there with the greatest understatements of all time. Its a big hard tough world out there and we've all had to make our way through it. I see comments about getting another job in football, my advice son would be to pick another career path. Now is the time to look for a proper manager who could build a team the way McNamara done, a team that not only can attack and score but can defend. This season is lost its now a case of survival, it will be a time whereby the board will now have to prove themselves. 

We are two points off the playoff. You don't half talk mince.

• Like 1

All the best to Archie and Scott in the future. The downturn since we made the top six has been both remarkable and painful, and unfortunately there has been no real sign of any improvement.... in fact things were starting to look even more ominous. Those two will always be legends.

PTFC comes first. Onwards and Upwards.

• Haha 1

Very sad day but it just couldn't go on any longer.

Would have loved to see Archie turn things round but he ran out of ideas and his negative tactics were not going to produce a winning team. 

Although I feel it is the correct decision, the lack of respect that has been shown by some, to a guy that has given the vast majority of his football life to our club, has been disappointing to say the least. Whatever you think of the players he has signed, or the way we have played under him, you can't say he hasn't given his all. Sadly, it just hasn't been good enough over the last couple of seasons.

Edited by Jag
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Metz said:

posters that wish nothing but ill and negativity towards the club, it's staff and frequently pop in to cause division when there is a poor result.   hope [for is that] they enjoy the moment and skulk of

Most  toxic post I've read about this.

There are obviously  'posters that wish nothing but ill and negativity towards' people who criticise 'the club, it's staff'. There's certainly been no shortage of poor results.  Not one single poster has said, or remotely appear to be,  'enjoying' the fact that Archie has had to leave, and nearly all have expressed regret that it had to end this way. I concur with that.

As I say, a toxic post by a poisonous poster.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Most  toxic post I've read about this.

There are obviously  'posters that wish nothing but ill and negativity towards' people who criticise 'the club, it's staff'. There's certainly been no shortage of poor results.  Not one single poster has said, or remotely appear to be,  'enjoying' the fact that Archie has had to leave, and nearly all have expressed regret that it had to end this way. I concur with that.

As I say, a toxic post by a poisonous poster.

Nup. Not having that. Metz has posted many realistic constructive posts. To suggest he isvpoisonous is disgraceful. Say he's wrong, say he's blind to the facts, hell even allege he is an OF fan in disguise, but poisonius is harsh.

Opinions, no matter how crass to the reader they may be, is the whole point of a forum.

Correct decision as I’d stated earlier but way too late for both the club and Archie.

With him on his last year of contract, and just being relegated I think all including himself and the players knew he was off latest in May, add to the boards statements on expectations and budgets and he was set for failure this season. He knew that unless he played a blinder he was gone, the squad knew he’d be gone, you can understand why we’ve been crap.

The board should have done the right thing and parted company in May

43 minutes ago, Jag said:

I don't think Beattie's statement in May had a positive effect. In fact, it was quite the opposite and immediately raised fan's expectations and put pressure on the manager.

It wasn't helpful tho' I can understand why he made the comment.  I guess I would've felt extra pressure if I was in a situation where my boss was instrumental in retaining my employment then he himself left. 

Not posted in a long time but...

Sad to see how things have worked out.  The writing has been on the wall for a long time (did Archie not have his resignation refused after the playoff?)- this has been one slow start too many for Archie.  What has been concerning, more than results, have been the performances over the last 18 months or so.  I don't get to many games, but whenever I've seen us play recently we've looked pretty toothless and poor at creating chances.  More importantly there seems to have been severe motivation issues - we have looked mentally fragile for a long time.

Archie has been a phenomenal servant to the club, and while there will be few that disagree that now was the right time for him to go (imo), he will always remain a club legend - he took us to our best league placing in 40 years.

The squad we have, while being remarkably unbalanced, I feel can come good with the right guidance this season.  There are some excellent players in there, and that includes our promising youngsters which give cause for optimism.  We do, for the love of god, need a right back as a matter of urgency (there must be some that are without clubs?)

Wish him well for the future and hope he's not too long out the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sabbath said:

There is no sentiment in football, you are judged by results. To say that this decision was long over due is up there with the greatest understatements of all time. Its a big hard tough world out there and we've all had to make our way through it. I see comments about getting another job in football, my advice son would be to pick another career path. Now is the time to look for a proper manager who could build a team the way McNamara done, a team that not only can attack and score but can defend. This season is lost its now a case of survival, it will be a time whereby the board will now have to prove themselves. 

I certainly wouldn’t want McNamara. He destroyed Utd and York City after abandoning us.

8 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I certainly wouldn’t want McNamara. He destroyed Utd and York City after abandoning us.

Not sure I want McNamara back but we certainly need someone with good contacts within football, I definitely think that was a problem for Archie and Shaggy whose main contact seemed to be Steven Pressley in recruiting players from down South. Re McNamara at United , their board sanctioned the selling of Gault , Robertson , Armstrong, McKay Steven and Cifti , McNamara didn’t destroy United the board of directors were almost certainly the guilty parties .

27 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Understatement. What he did at York City was allegedly despicable. Did he not also make waves about suing us for bonus money for "his part" in our promotion? I could go on (and usually do :)) but McNamara's not worth the time of day.

4 minutes ago, Gnome on the Bing said:

Desperately sad at how things have ended for Archie and Shaggy -- two hard-working, courteous individuals who went about their job in a diligent and dignified manner. I wish them every success for the future. 

Well said.

As has been said 2 jags legends and thoroughly nice guys who genuinely did their best for the club and gave us some great moments 

as has also been said something has clearly gone wrong the last 18 months and while not an easy decision to make I can see why it was made

all the best to Alan and Scott for the future 

• Like 1

Saddest aspect for me is that neither of them will reap the benefit of the training  facility that they helped  create.Wish they could have been moved into the Academy side of things or accommodated elsewhere within the Thistle family.Some of the comments on here about our ex manager are disgraceful.The words “clown” and “numpty” have been used to describe an honest ,intelligent and courteous professional who tried to cross a bridge too far.

49 minutes ago, cyprusjag said:

Saddest aspect for me is that neither of them will reap the benefit of the training  facility that they helped  create.Wish they could have been moved into the Academy side of things or accommodated elsewhere within the Thistle family.

I wouldn’t write that off, but I think you’d want a break first, and maybe an opportunity to make their way somewhere else. I’m sure in time they’d be welcomed back by all.

• Like 1