Who's next?

Barney Rubble

Danny Lennon? Thistle connection & cup winner.  Refers to himself in 3rd person tho.

Ian McCall?  Thistle connection & going v well with Ayr.  

Gary Caldwell?  Did well with Wigan. Young but couple failures.

Jim McIntyre?  Cup winner.  Not popular with some but not sure why.

John Hughes? Cup winner.  Plays good football but daft laddie image is annoying.

Ray McKinnon?  Likes to change jobs often.

Personally I have no idea.  

8 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Jackie McNamara spotted in hospitality today :shok:

A worrying development. Just don't tell us Dick Campbell was spotted within a 50 mile radius of Firhill

5 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Ray McKinnon?

Has to be considered just for the comedy value

5 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Jim McIntyre

No thanks. Cheque book manager with tombola tactics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Robbie Neilson would be a superb appointment, but no way on earth could we afford him......I think.

Stephen Craigan anyone?

Someone please tell me why Neilson would be a good appointment? Did well as a Levein puppet and when he was sent out into the big wide management world he crashed n burned. Where's the track record?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

as long as its not Yogi Hughes or Jim Duffy

Thats the problem though, we waited far too long to get rid  of Archie, we're now a lower half championship team and  thats the calibre of replacements we're now looking at as a result.

5 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Thats the problem though, we waited far too long to get rid  of Archie, we're now a lower half championship team and  thats the calibre of replacements we're now looking at as a result.

Don't agree .  We will be an attractive proposition for many decent candidates .  Also with Gerry Brittons` football experience we will select the best man from all the applicants.

21 minutes ago, Z88 said:

Don't agree .  We will be an attractive proposition for many decent candidates .  Also with Gerry Brittons` football experience we will select the best man from all the applicants.

What is Derek Whyte up to? Get the old gang back together :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Not sure I really agree with you tho' in hindsight you're correct re availability of a creditable replacement. Worth pointing out that Archie has a better managerial record than some of the names being bandied about. Not saying that one ore two of the usual suspects aren't reasonably well equipped to keep us in the division but I sense we should still be looking above mid table mediocrity.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not sure I really agree with you tho' in hindsight you're correct re availability of a creditable replacement. Worth pointing out that Archie has a better managerial record than some of the names being bandied about. Not saying that one ore two of the usual suspects aren't reasonably well equipped to keep us in the division but I sense we should still be looking above mid table mediocrity.

So what are you saying then?

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Danny Lennon? Thistle connection & cup winner.  Refers to himself in 3rd person tho.

Ian McCall?  Thistle connection & going v well with Ayr.  

Gary Caldwell?  Did well with Wigan. Young but couple failures.efenatly not.

Jim McIntyre?  Cup winner.  Not popular with some but not sure why.

John Hughes? Cup winner.  Plays good football but daft laddie image is annoying.

Ray McKinnon?  Likes to change jobs often.

Personally I have no idea.  

Lennon- maybe.

McCall - possibly

Caldwell- definatly not.

McIntyre- no thanks..

Hughes- definately not.

McKinon - ha ha.

Would take Goodwin - no nonsense ambitious and something to prove.

Happy to see if any surprise applicants come forward. eg Gary Holt types.

N

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

So what are you saying then?

I guess I'm suggesting we should be forward thinking rather than employ someone who may be acceptable enough in this division but has been a failure at a higher level. If this was into the 2nd half of the season I might favour the safer stop gap option. 

My expectation is not for any new manager to have the ambition to get into the top six, but to be a continuing success in Europe. If this is not your goal then go away and lets find a candidate who has this ambition. Its not all about money. The Weirs have provided our club with the opportunity to bring on our own youth through, if this has been squandered then its not only the two who have been sacked, but a close eyes must be kept on how the academy is progressing..........Onwards and Upwards............the club must always come first.

Some good posts and some interesting suggestion. I'm undecided at the moment but think we need some stability, an older more experienced manager......or does that suggest a lack of ambition

Colly has not hidden his belief he has unfinnished business at thistle. I think he's as hungry for success as a younger model. He might be an ex rangers player but has honest love for our club. That's me decided then! Hope the board are sobererer than me when they make their decision

I reckon McCall would take it despite what he has said previously (wouldn’t take the job directly after Archie) and the fact Ayr are flying.

He knows that come January Shankland will be away and Ayr will really struggle after that. He lives just of Byers Road and has said he has unfinished business.

He went and spoke to Falkirk about their vacancy rather than dismissing it straight away so leaving Ayr is obviously not out of the questions for him

would be interesting to know if he applies for it...

Edited by p12tfc

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Several managers have come from Irish football into Scotland with varying degrees of success. Does anyone on the forum have some insight into possible candidates from across the water?

Oran Kearney isn't doing too well at St Midden (though it's early days) and he was a fantastic manager at Coleraine.  He was definitely the top guy in the North for the last few seasons but I'm not sure too many of the current league managers would make the transfer to full time football too successfully. Not sure about the league further South.

1 hour ago, p12tfc said:

I reckon McCall would take it despite what he has said previously (wouldn’t take the job directly after Archie) and the fact Ayr are flying.

He knows that come January Shankland will be away and Ayr will really struggle after that. He lives just of Byers Road and has said he has unfinished business.

He went and spoke to Falkirk about their vacancy rather than dismissing it straight away so leaving Ayr is obviously not out of the questions for him

would be interesting to know if he applies for it...

Could he take the job and bring Shankland with him in his suitcase?