Who's next?

Barney Rubble

I'm finding myself enjoying the Ayr United highlights on their channel. McCall really has them motivated and playing some relentless attacking football.

Somehow I don't think we could lure him away from there. We'll most likely get someone who's on the merry-go-round scrapheap unemployed pile.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I know it's said in jest but if we get anyone remotely close to how good Ian Cathro is rated as a football coach I'd be thrilled. 

To widen the subject is it an all round football manager we require? Not saying that McCall is or isn't right for the Club but the rules of engagement so to speak have changed considerably since he was our manager. Back then he had to do all the contract negotiations, arrange training facilities, monitoring scouting, and no doubt oversee and/or partake in a plethora of back room and administrative chores. Having spoken to Ian McC on many occasions I know he was well versed in the overall running of the Club.

I maintain the job description and requirements of the prospective team manager today are considerable more straightforward. Of course we still need someone who will represent the Club with dignity but that aside the emphasis should be almost entirely on coaching, motivation and the on field stuff. Put another way the manager's office should be a room that's given out of courtesy rather than out of necessity.

Cathro is proven as a good coach, but as a manager he was found lacking.

In fairness to him, however, I do think that the quality of players that Levein got him compared to the players he is now signing for himself is night and day. Had Levein backed him the way he seems to be backing himself then things may have been different.

I would be surprised if Cathro goes back into management though, he seems to be onto a winner coaching with Nuno Espirito Santo.

4 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Disappointing that so many of the posts here are limited to considering the same tired names, and even suggesting that a Thistle connection would be a good thing.  I would have preferred to see a later application deadline and the net cast wider to encourage overseas managers.  Maybe this is the opportunity to shake off the shackles of the narrow mindset that infects Scottish football.  

I agree.  Either overseas or someone who is quietly doing a good job as an assistant somewhere in UK. 

Some of the mangers being quoted are better than others but when you look at the list you see some who are capable of getting us promoted but you wonder how many would then have the ability to get us into the top 6 and I include Ian McCall in that. Archie managed it and it was a great achievement the fact he couldn't build on that doesn't take away from the fact it's on his CV. 

Kilmarnock have maybe given people  a false impression of how easy it is to bring in a manager who can improve things. There are very few Stevie Clarks out there.

I think the speed of dismissal after Saturdays game and the short period allowed for applications would imply the board have their sights set on someone but are keeping a plan B by seeing who applies.

This time last year who could have seen Clark at Killie, Gerrard at Rangers or Rodgers at Aston Villa!!!!

So I'm with you eljaggo let's see the board surprise us! 

How about Martin Keown, he doesn't need the money and there is a link.    OK I'm joking, but something like that. 

15 minutes ago, mulguy jag said:

Rumours appearing on P and B and Dundee utd mad that thistle have made a push for neilson this morning

would be super appointment if that's the case, DUFC fans I know think its already done deal with them though, so lets hope the board can deliver this little coup

26 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A name I've not seen mentioned yet is Kenny Miller. 

As I live down south, I don't know what happened at Livvy, bu the was mentioned at the time of our relegation as a possibility. As a player coach I'm sure that he would get goals and get the attack quicker at getting forward.

He’s with Dundee at present 

Not that bothered at missing out on Neilson.  Seems he's had one successful job, and Levein has shown he can do it just as well without him.

More bothered that we apparently spoke to him, and the questions that raises. I wonder how it aligns with our request for applications, and whether it compromises that in any way. I wonder if we thought we had him lined up. I wonder if he was our first choice, or if it was just an informal chat before he confirmed the United job. I wonder how the press knows. If it was him who informed them then I think it's pretty unimpressive (just boasting really), but maybe these things get out anyway. 

Heard Scott MacKenzie has left the Academy as well , out of all the candidates it would have to be Ian McCall for me , the new and improved one from his last tenure with the Club. 

Ticks the right boxes for me ,he’s got a feel for the Club , plays attractive football and importantly he’s got a connection with the fans and would get everyone onside straightaway 

The Academy is important to the Club with the new training ground getting built and I believe we need someone with experience at a high level to help us , I think someone like Kenny McDowall would be a great asset , proven track record bringing young players through, extremely good coach if you talk to people within the game and has got all the relevant coaching badges etc and incidentally he did play for Partick Thistle at one point of his career if that’s relevant.