Who's next?

Barney Rubble

Almost my own feeling  on this about Duffy and Chic.

Can't remotely see McCall being attracted to this somehow, not at present. And would the Board want him back after the (alleged) reason for his departure from us.

McIntyre now odds-on favourite.

Edited by Semi Nurainen
misssed a bit

Hearing and reading who are the so called front runners is depressing me no end. I wish I could convince myself we have the players with the right attitude and confidence to keep us clear of the bottom of the table. If that was the case I'd rather see us take a punt on some outright rookie than any of the named favourites.

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Hearing and reading who are the so called front runners is depressing me no end. I wish I could convince myself we have the players with the right attitude and confidence to keep us clear of the bottom of the table. If that was the case I'd rather see us take a punt on some outright rookie than any of the named favourites.

I wouldn't get get too downhearted. Any appointment is a punt.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I do feel we have a decent squad.We need to get the right person in though.

1 minute ago, Woodstock Jag said:

“The Club is pleased to announce...”

Haha. He was pitching John Hughes pretty hard. Spoke very warmly of Thistle but said that, more than other clubs, Thistle need someone who is a good fit for the club, and thought that he would ideal.

It was an absolutely unequivocal no from Ian McCall on Radio Scotland - he wanted to return to Firhill in some capacity in the future but he would not take over from Archie.

He had some other interesting things to say:-

He wished he had told Archie to walk away at the end of last season

He thought Jim McIntyre, John Hughes or Jim Duffy would make good choices as manager but more than most clubs the manager had to be the right fit for Thistle.

He didn't understand how anyone living in Glasgow could support any team other than Thistle.

My own preferences were Neilson, McCall or Jim Goodwin...so that's two down.  I'd be completely underwhelmed by any of McCall's 3 suggestions or most of the other names being bandied about. 

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

It was an absolutely unequivocal no from Ian McCall on Radio Scotland - he wanted to return to Firhill in some capacity in the future but he would not take over from Archie.

He had some other interesting things to say:-

He wished he had told Archie to walk away at the end of last season

He thought Jim McIntyre, John Hughes or Jim Duffy would make good choices as manager but more than most clubs the manager had to be the right fit for Thistle.

He didn't understand how anyone living in Glasgow could support any team other than Thistle.

My own preferences were Neilson, McCall or Jim Goodwin...so that's two down.  I'd be completely underwhelmed by any of McCall's 3 suggestions or most of the other names being bandied about. 

Reading between the lines McCall doesn't want to postpone his return by very long. :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fenski said:

Having once played in same team as Ian McCall and done a throw-in to him, he's got my vote too.

More importantly I think he's a decent manager...

Club st Clair?  He played and managed a team in the Sunday league at the Firhill complex for a couple of years.  15-20 years ago tho!!!  God, I'm getting old.

5 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

John Hughes, Jim Goodwin, and Stephen Craigan I think will be considered by the board.  Not sure the last two would even take it if offered. 

Why wouldn’t Goodwin take it. It is a move to a bigger club with a good chance of enhancing his reputation as a manager. It is unlikely that Alloa will avoid being in the bottom 2 this season, whereas I would expect/hope that Thistle will reach the promotion playoff places now.

As a young manager, I think he has to  take a risk.

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Why wouldn’t Goodwin take it. It is a move to a bigger club with a good chance of enhancing his reputation as a manager. It is unlikely that Alloa will avoid being in the bottom 2 this season, whereas I would expect/hope that Thistle will reach the promotion playoff places now.

As a young manager, I think he has to  take a risk.

He turned down St Mirren. 

9 hours ago, p12tfc said:

The problem with appointing someone like a Simon Grayson is the first decent offer from England he would be gone. I still maintain that despite what he has said before and current circumstances If McCall gets offered the job he will take it

Any manager/ player from any country  gets a decent offer from England would be off... £££££

Not to employ someone for that reason is a problem !!

Also,sorry to say McCall says no......

54 minutes ago, sb1876 said:

Club st Clair?  He played and managed a team in the Sunday league at the Firhill complex for a couple of years.  15-20 years ago tho!!!  God, I'm getting old.

It was a one off game with my mates at the pitch that was opposite Ibrox. We were short of players and he was a friend of a friend. He was 10 times better than the rest of us put together!

• Like 1