Who's next?

Barney Rubble

59 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Really hope we do this properly, in my opinion the club needs sorted out from the Academy upwards, the candidates apart from Ian McCall haven’t inspired me at all , though with his experience with Motherwell 20s I think Stephen Craigan could be worth a shout.

Do you have a list of candidates that have applied? 

Don't ruin it for the rest of us, we're having great fun speculating.

3 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

He turned down St Mirren. 

True.

However, St Mirren is not the right job for Jim Goodwin.

Partick Thistle and Jim Goodwin are made for each other. He has the potential to be a great manager and we have the potential to be a great club.

If ever there was a time for Thistle to challenge the old firm stranglehold in Glasgow it's right now. I think Goodwin is smart enough to realise what a golden opportunity it is and he has what it takes, to take this club all the way to the top.

It's got to be Jim Goodwin.

Edited by AndyMac
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Pressley has just been sacked by his Cypriot club, so he would be available

What would people think about Murty ? I think that he was harshly treated by them from south of the river

I think Murty is probably quite a capable manager, despite managing Sevco I don’t think he is one of these nauseating “Big Rangers Men” like McCoist etc. PTFC support would be much more benign towards him of course.

9 hours ago, AndyMac said:

True.

However, St Mirren is not the right job for Jim Goodwin.

Partick Thistle and Jim Goodwin are made for each other. He has the potential to be a great manager and we have the potential to be a great club.

If ever there was a time for Thistle to challenge the old firm stranglehold in Glasgow it's right now. I think Goodwin is smart enough to realise what a golden opportunity it is and he has what it takes, to take this club all the way to the top.

It's got to be Jim Goodwin.

He may of course be on a better combined wage than we can offer. Even if we'd be upping that it would still be a case of all his eggs. Goodwin might want to hold out for a more lucrative offer from a bigger club where going full time would be far more lucrative. Oh, and if he's on a no option contract at Alloa and of interest to us, God help Gerry and/or Jacqui Low when they're dealing with Mike Mulraney. But that's another issue entirely. 

Gotta say I'd prefer someone like Goodwin than any of the usual suspects. To repeat we should be looking for a 1st Team  Manager/Head Coach rather than the traditional Football Club Manager. The infrastructure of the Club is in fine shape about to get better with the training complex. 

6 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

See if Archie calls McCall & says ‘it’s cool, take the job’ - reckon he’d take it?

Nope. What I indicated yesterday, albeit in jest, was he's making himself available next time round. He most likely wouldn't have too long to wait if any of his suggestions get the nod. 

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

He may of course be on a better combined wage than we can offer. Even if we'd be upping that it would still be a case of all his eggs. Goodwin might want to hold out for a more lucrative offer from a bigger club where going full time would be far more lucrative. Oh, and if he's on a no option contract at Alloa and of interest to us, God help Gerry and/or Jacqui Low when they're dealing with Mike Mulraney. But that's another issue entirely. 

Gotta say I'd prefer someone like Goodwin than any of the usual suspects. To repeat we should be looking for a 1st Team  Manager/Head Coach rather than the traditional Football Club Manager. The infrastructure of the Club is in fine shape about to get better with the training complex. 

I don't know what kind of money Jim Goodwin's on at the moment but his other job is a sales rep for a confectionery firm.

I think he may have been waiting for this job, as you say it's one of the best in Scottish football. Goodwin's not daft he knows that he wouldn't get much time at the likes of St Mirren. I don't believe that Goodwin would be necessarily an overnight success, nevertheless, the amount of  time that he would be afforded by Thistle and the huge potential of the club will bring him in.

When we were talking about the ideal type of manager for Thistle on a thread a little time ago; Goodwin was the one name I had in mind. I may be wrong, but in my mind I have absolutely no doubt that he is the best man for the job.

39 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Nope. What I indicated yesterday, albeit in jest, was he's making himself available next time round. He most likely wouldn't have too long to wait if any of his suggestions get the nod. 

Yeah, you’re probably right. A shame as I think it’s the perfect time for him now. We shall see. Low’s comments in the Times are very encouraging though - not just hyperbole.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:24 PM, Emsca said:

No no no.

Billy Dodds, Jim Duffy  and Neil McCann all speak well on the radio but they are shite managers.

Billy dodds has never been a manager. Unless you count 1 match in charges at dungdee utd due to management re shuffle.

Might be worth a go, clearly liked and respected in media and football circles so will have good contacts which is a huge thing. Still a risk though but then so will whoever we appoint. Primarily because who comes in has no choice in they players they have cos they are already in place

1 hour ago, BILL.H said:

On the back of that you wouldn't put your money on Jim McIntyre.

I'll be open minded about whoever we get. A "usual suspects" candidate may well know the job and the league better than others; there will be strengths and weaknesses in any candidate.

3 hours ago, AndyMac said:

I don't know what kind of money Jim Goodwin's on at the moment but his other job is a sales rep for a confectionery firm.

I think he may have been waiting for this job, as you say it's one of the best in Scottish football. Goodwin's not daft he knows that he wouldn't get much time at the likes of St Mirren. I don't believe that Goodwin would be necessarily an overnight success, nevertheless, the amount of  time that he would be afforded by Thistle and the huge potential of the club will bring him in.

When we were talking about the ideal type of manager for Thistle on a thread a little time ago; Goodwin was the one name I had in mind. I may be wrong, but in my mind I have absolutely no doubt that he is the best man for the job.

Thanks for stopping by, Jim

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AndyMac said:

He's only on sweeties then.

What's the love in with Goodwin? An utter thug of a footballer although he admitted that the game changed and he did not.  Alloa are a very well run and funded part time club who got in via play offs so it was not the hardest job.  Surely far too soon.  The Thistle job is appealing but not more than say Falkirk or Dunfermline.

9 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

What's the love in with Goodwin? An utter thug of a footballer although he admitted that the game changed and he did not.  Alloa are a very well run and funded part time club who got in via play offs so it was not the hardest job.  Surely far too soon.  The Thistle job is appealing but not more than say Falkirk or Dunfermline.

Jim Goodwin,  was a pretty decent player in his hey day, however, what makes him special is that he will do whatever it takes to win. Even when he was well past his best, there was no huffing and puffing with Jim, no picking up an easy last pay day. He would of ran through a brick wall for St Mirren. Watching Goodwin play at Firhill during 2013/14, he won every single ball, every single header, not a single player in the Thistle team dared to challenge him.  Jim Goodwin, is the real deal; a winner. We would be crazy not to consider him for the job.

Ok; Goodwin's a not a "big" name, but no one could ever question his commitment. Let's be honest, how many journey men pros have we all seen picking up good wages and plodding about the place? I couldn't imagine Goodwin tolerating that sort of stuff. Could you?

Jim Goodwin is an outsider, just like Thistle, the establishment hate him. He would be perfect, the place would be rocking, powder puff? It would be more like a powder keg! What's not to like?

18 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Kinda with you there. Alloa made Paul Hartley look good. 

2 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Jim Goodwin,  was a pretty decent player in his hey day, however, what makes him special is that he will do whatever it takes to win. Even when he was well past his best, there was no huffing and puffing with Jim, no picking up an easy last pay day. He would of ran through a brick wall for St Mirren. Watching Goodwin play at Firhill during 2013/14, he won every single ball, every single header, not a single player in the Thistle team dared to challenge him.  Jim Goodwin, is the real deal; a winner. We would be crazy not to consider him for the job.

Ok; Goodwin's a not a "big" name, but no one could ever question his commitment. Let's be honest, how many journey men pros have we all seen picking up good wages and plodding about the place? I couldn't imagine Goodwin tolerating that sort of stuff. Could you?

Jim Goodwin is an outsider, just like Thistle, the establishment hate him. He would be perfect, the place would be rocking, powder puff? It would be more like a powder keg! What's not to like?

Are you his agent?:D

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

an utter thug of a footballer  ?

i know  this is a forum however this is way over the top

goodwin was actually a good professional footballer

anytime that i watched him playing for st midden he in my opinion he was the player that always gave 100% 

this is no love in    what we need is someone who can take this club by the proverbials and help us gain promotion this year

i believe that goodwin is that man :thumbsup2: