Who's next?

Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, mulguy jag said:

I would like a vibrant , enthusiastic and ambitious manager in the same mould as the Bournemouth boss, Howe. Is there someone off the same template out there , if so, come along to firhill.   I get pissed off with the same old candidates been mentioned everytime a vacancy at a Scottish club comes up.  Tonight's international is a prime example as to the calibre of manager we hire.The guy has been round the block and stale and should never have got the job.

Roger Ramjet?

Have to say I agree with you about McLeish. Would anyone on here want him as Thistle manager? Can't believe they gave him the Scotland job.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He is overrated you forgot his relegation with Dunfermline. Also he needed Mc Gregor’s millions to bail him out a couple of times 

you also have to wonder why no one else has taken a punt on him too since he was sacked from county

It shouldn’t be a hard task.

1. Clear out the dead wood remaining from last season.

2. Get our 2 legends playing better.

3. Kick some asses really hard.

4. Get the players fit.

5. Clear out the garbage that Archie signed this year.

6. Identify replacements and sign them in January.

7. Have some tactics.

8. Play our best players every week.

I’d like to think most of the people on the list could address these issues as any manager in any industry would do. Scot Gemmill May be a good shout as he has no baggage or pre conceived ideas.

These issues haven’t been addressed for 18 months so the new guy has carte Blanche.

He needs to keep us up then build like McCall/ Macnamara did. Effect the Jack Ross plan now.

7 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

It shouldn’t be a hard task.

1. Clear out the dead wood remaining from last season.

2. Get our 2 legends playing better.

3. Kick some asses really hard.

4. Get the players fit.

5. Clear out the garbage that Archie signed this year.

6. Identify replacements and sign them in January.

7. Have some tactics.

8. Play our best players every week.

I’d like to think most of the people on the list could address these issues as any manager in any industry would do. Scot Gemmill May be a good shout as he has no baggage or pre conceived ideas.

These issues haven’t been addressed for 18 months so the new guy has carte Blanche.

He needs to keep us up then build like McCall/ Macnamara did. Effect the Jack Ross plan now.

Keeping us up isn’t the objective of the new manager, getting us promoted is.

1 minute ago, sick in the basin said:

Applications from Africa - Bobby Williamson as a left field shout?!

One name that thankfully hasn’t (yet) appeared but gives me the fear is Terry Butcher - think he had a brief coaching spell at Firhill years back?

At the time the vast majority of the support were disappointed he didn't take the post permanently. 

17 minutes ago, sick in the basin said:

One name that thankfully hasn’t (yet) appeared but gives me the fear is Terry Butcher - think he had a brief coaching spell at Firhill years back?

I wonder if the African application is from former Killie player Dylan Kerr, who is head coach of a team in Kenya. Here’s his wiki....  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Kerr

49 minutes ago, sick in the basin said:

Butcher and Caley were a great fit, Hibs wasn’t, I think we’d fit Butcher and he’d fit us, but I’m not sure if he’s ready to get back in the game after the personal tragedy that hit him last year

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, p12tfc said:

Those saying they won’t go to games if Duffy gets the job shouldn’t come back no matter who gets it. I’ve got some I would like and others I don’t but whoever gets it I’ll still support the team

I would agree if I actually thought they were serious. But in reality I think they're just prone to a bit of hyperbole

Very interesting choice of game on the official site today from Robert Reid in his 'Blast From the Past'.

His chosen game is from March 2004.

The Dundee United team makes interesting reading with Alan Archibald and Scott Paterson lining up alongside Derek McInness, Jim McIntyre, Billy Dodds, Mark Kerr and  Paul Gallagher.  While the Thistle team had Gerry Britton and Derek Whyte alongside David Rowson (who's name appeared in an earlier post as consulate professional but I don't about managerial skills) and Kenny Arthur on the bench.

A Blast From the Past but could there be a nod to the future in there too?

2 hours ago, elevenone said:

Today’s paper has Scott Gemmill flattered to be linked to job although he hasn’t applied and his focus on under 21’s this week.

Just read that. Considering he's not interested he doesn't miss the opportunity to mention his qualifications (both general and literally). 

Expanding on allyo's comment about McLeish, if he hadn't got the Scotland gig he'd be applying for every manager post going. No secret the Taxman's taking an interest in his EBT's so in terms of salary we'd probably be out the running . Putting that aside I reckon McLeish would be ahead of the current pack of previously failed managers (Hughes, Duffy, Lennon etc) and I still wouldn't want him. Much favouring avoiding that merry go round and appointing someone with fresher ideas. Tho' I'm not endorsing the individuals as such at least Gemmill and Goodwin are not burdened with dodgy CVs.

In considering applications for the post of Partick Thistle manager, I believe that two areas should be looked at – a positive previous experience at the club, and a degree of success in management. Some of Thistle’s worst managerial disasters have occurred when both these criteria have been ignored, e.g. Derek Johnstone, Sandy Clark, Tommy Bryce. (Pause for shudder).

Ian McCall fits the bill, but has understandably ruled himself out. Stephen Craigan has insufficient experience in management at this stage. Jackie McNamara has surely burned his boats. Jim Duffy meets the criteria, but there appears to be a worrying degree of hostility towards him, whether it is because of his departure from Firhill after captaining a promotion winning side, his low level of managerial achievement, or his recent unlamented sacking at Morton. We don’t need an appointment that divides the support before the new person has a chance. Then there’s Danny Lennon.

As John Lambie’s captain and leader on the field, Danny Lennon played a major role in Thistle’s near miraculous recovery from a club on the verge of extinction to a place in the Premier League, with successive league titles in 2001 and 2002. Lennon was an inspirational captain, organising and encouraging the players, and contributing 12 goals himself from midfield. History repeated itself at the start of his managerial career with Cowdenbeath, when he achieved back-to-back promotions with an unfashionable side. This led to his appointment as manager at St Mirren, where he was successful in leading the team to a Scottish League Cup triumph, and kept them in the Premier League for several seasons. Lennon was not sacked at St Mirren, they simply declined to renew his contract in 2014, for a perceived failure to meet expectations that he had succeeded in raising to unrealistic levels. The folly of that decision quickly became apparent, with what happened to St Mirren in the next two seasons. Last year he took over as manager at Clyde, a club that was heading for the Lowland League, and currently occupies a play-off place in League 2.

Ok, he has been out of the limelight for a few years, which may be why such an obvious candidate has not been widely quoted. But so had Ian McCall when he went to Ayr United, Steve Clarke when he was appointed by Kilmarnock, Claudio Ranieri when he went to Leicester City. We need a manager who is a good fit for Partick Thistle, and can unite the fans behind him. Based on his track record as a player and manager, that man is Danny Lennon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Tho' I'm not endorsing the individuals as such at least Gemmill and Goodwin are not burdened with dodgy CVs.

But that's only because (as club managers at our level) they're not burdened with any CV. It seems that experience is being held against people here, rather than being seen as a potential asset.

I'm not saying experience is everything, but it shouldn't be a burden. Fair enough, if someone is a serial loser then it works against them, but that isn't the cae with most of the people being mentioned.

As I've said, I don't really have strong opinions on who we appoint, as I reckon it's always a bit of a guess. And I can see that a young "fresh" manager might be more attractive, but I don't need my manager to be attractive. I'm just against people being written off before they've started.

56 minutes ago, Sivad said:

In considering applications for the post of Partick Thistle manager, I believe that two areas should be looked at – a positive previous experience at the club, and a degree of success in management. Some of Thistle’s worst managerial disasters have occurred when both these criteria have been ignored, e.g. Derek Johnstone, Sandy Clark, Tommy Bryce. (Pause for shudder).

Ian McCall fits the bill, but has understandably ruled himself out. Stephen Craigan has insufficient experience in management at this stage. Jackie McNamara has surely burned his boats. Jim Duffy meets the criteria, but there appears to be a worrying degree of hostility towards him, whether it is because of his departure from Firhill after captaining a promotion winning side, his low level of managerial achievement, or his recent unlamented sacking at Morton. We don’t need an appointment that divides the support before the new person has a chance. Then there’s Danny Lennon.

As John Lambie’s captain and leader on the field, Danny Lennon played a major role in Thistle’s near miraculous recovery from a club on the verge of extinction to a place in the Premier League, with successive league titles in 2001 and 2002. Lennon was an inspirational captain, organising and encouraging the players, and contributing 12 goals himself from midfield. History repeated itself at the start of his managerial career with Cowdenbeath, when he achieved back-to-back promotions with an unfashionable side. This led to his appointment as manager at St Mirren, where he was successful in leading the team to a Scottish League Cup triumph, and kept them in the Premier League for several seasons. Lennon was not sacked at St Mirren, they simply declined to renew his contract in 2014, for a perceived failure to meet expectations that he had succeeded in raising to unrealistic levels. The folly of that decision quickly became apparent, with what happened to St Mirren in the next two seasons. Last year he took over as manager at Clyde, a club that was heading for the Lowland League, and currently occupies a play-off place in League 2.

Ok, he has been out of the limelight for a few years, which may be why such an obvious candidate has not been widely quoted. But so had Ian McCall when he went to Ayr United, Steve Clarke when he was appointed by Kilmarnock, Claudio Ranieri when he went to Leicester City. We need a manager who is a good fit for Partick Thistle, and can unite the fans behind him. Based on his track record as a player and manager, that man is Danny Lennon.  

He was manager in the top division for four seasons, two of which he finished 11th (i.e., our position last season). However, this was before the play offs.

He was poor at Alloa.

I don't believe him to be an equal (never mind improvement) on Archibald, to be honest. 

On the flip side, cup success would be very welcome.

59 minutes ago, Sivad said:

Thats a very well presented case for Danny and it's not easy to contradict. Of course no matter who is appointed they are not guaranteed to succeed or even to meet expectations  of some posters on this site. I wonder if he has applied. I'd much rather see him at Firhill  than Jimmy Mac and Silly Billy.

• Like 1

Billy Dodds impressed me on the radio last night. Now I know that punditry is not the same as management...

But he was the one guy who was prepared to question McLeish's team and tactics before the game. Everyone else was getting excited about the Albania win and heralding it as a bright new dawn, while Billy Dodds was questioning the selection and predicting problems. And backed it up by (I thought) decent reasoning with regard to the players available. It all came to pass.

Similar to managerial experience, I think a media profile is another thing that people will use to hammer potential candidates, just because it's easy to criticise what you know. Where in fact (I'd imagine), a radio or TV career is a pretty negligible predictor for success or faiure.

Also, I'm old enough to remember his four goals against East Fife. So if Silly Billy gets a job with us, so be it.

1 hour ago, Sivad said:

Ok, he has been out of the limelight for a few years, which may be why such an obvious candidate has not been widely quoted. But so had Ian McCall when he went to Ayr United, Steve Clarke when he was appointed by Kilmarnock, Claudio Ranieri when he went to Leicester City.

We need a manager who is a good fit for Partick Thistle, and can unite the fans behind him. Based on his track record as a player and manager, that man is Claudio Ranieri.    

Sivad, fixed that for you...

:thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, Sivad said:

You do not know that Lennon would have kept St Mirren up.

One of the things that angered St Mirren fans about him is that he did not bring through a single player from the St Mirren youth academy during his lenghty tenure and didnt give youth a chance.  Considering we have a hriving youth Academy if he continues with that attitude then it would be a real hindrance.  

Clyde also has the biggest budget in their division so it is to be expected that they are in a play off position

Edited by Third Lanark