Who's next?

Barney Rubble

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Just read that. Considering he's not interested he doesn't miss the opportunity to mention his qualifications (both general and literally). 

Expanding on allyo's comment about McLeish, if he hadn't got the Scotland gig he'd be applying for every manager post going. No secret the Taxman's taking an interest in his EBT's so in terms of salary we'd probably be out the running . Putting that aside I reckon McLeish would be ahead of the current pack of previously failed managers (Hughes, Duffy, Lennon etc) and I still wouldn't want him. Much favouring avoiding that merry go round and appointing someone with fresher ideas. Tho' I'm not endorsing the individuals as such at least Gemmill and Goodwin are not burdened with dodgy CVs.

In what way was Lennon a failure? My memory isn't that clear on his recod bu didn't he keep St. Mirren in the SPL and win a cup them? Something we haven't done for 47 years.

My abiding memory of Lennon, aside from being a good player and a great captain for us, is a game a Brockville. Kenny Arthur made a mistake which we were lucky to get away way, we then ran up the park and scored (maybe our second goal in perhaps a 4-0 victory... as i say, memory....). Instead of celebrating with the players, Lennon turned around and ran back to Kenny and gave him a firm ticking off for his error. Really playing the captain role, I thought! 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

You do not know that Lennon would have kept St Mirren up.

One of the things that angered St Mirren fans about him is that he did not bring through a single player from the St Mirren youth academy during his lenghty tenure and didnt give youth a chance.  Considering we have a hriving youth Academy if he continues with that attitude then it would be a real hindrance.  

Clyde also has the biggest budget in their division so it is to be expected that they are in a play off position

That's not true. He handed Kenny McLean his debut mere months after being appointed(assuming a June 2010 appointment as per wikipedia is accurate). He also introduced John McGinn to first team football.

A casual glance also indicates Jon McShane, Thomas Reilly, Sean Kelly and Jason Naismith were handed their debuts and opportunities to play. Granted, not every one was a success but no academy has a 100% success rate in developing players.

Really like Danny Lennon and would love to think he had the criteria to be a success with us. If he was born 20 years later and playing for us today, even just in the squad, we wouldn't be in this mess. His time tho' was up at St Mirren (tho' getting rid of him without a sensible replacement lined up was foolish). His tenure at Alloa is often made out to be worse than it really was but there's no hiding the fact it ended up badly there as well. Like many of the other possibles mentioned Danny has had his highs as a manager such as winning a cup and the 2nd tier play offs. It's just the subsequent lows, when he appeared powerless to turn things around, that concern me. I could add that he lost the confidence of his playing squad on a couple of occasions but that's more hearsay than concrete.  

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Really like Danny Lennon and would love to think he had the criteria to be a success with us. If he was born 20 years later and playing for us today, even just in the squad, we wouldn't be in this mess. His time tho' was up at St Mirren (tho' getting rid of him without a sensible replacement lined up was foolish). His tenure at Alloa is often made out to be worse than it really was but there's no hiding the fact it ended up badly there as well. Like many of the other possibles mentioned Danny has had his highs as a manager such as winning a cup and the 2nd tier play offs. It's just the subsequent lows, when he appeared powerless to turn things around, that concern me. I could add that he lost the confidence of his playing squad on a couple of occasions but that's more hearsay than concrete.  

I believe a player revolt, led by some of the senior team members, contributed to Lennon's contract being not being renewed at St Mirren. I wonder how they felt once Tommy Craig took charge.

Speaking of Tommy Craig, I wonder what he is up to.....

ETA By revolt, I mean complaining about the manager and his methods to the BOD.

Edited by Jag

4 hours ago, allyo said:

Billy Dodds impressed me on the radio last night. Now I know that punditry is not the same as management...

But he was the one guy who was prepared to question McLeish's team and tactics before the game. Everyone else was getting excited about the Albania win and heralding it as a bright new dawn, while Billy Dodds was questioning the selection and predicting problems. And backed it up by (I thought) decent reasoning with regard to the players available. It all came to pass.

Similar to managerial experience, I think a media profile is another thing that people will use to hammer potential candidates, just because it's easy to criticise what you know. Where in fact (I'd imagine), a radio or TV career is a pretty negligible predictor for success or faiure.

Also, I'm old enough to remember his four goals against East Fife. So if Silly Billy gets a job with us, so be it.

Sorry I strongly disagree.

It is easy to sit in a studio and pontificate on team selections: formations etc.

The acid test of a good manager is their skill as a man manager. Think of the best managers : Stein, Ferguson, Lambie etc. The main thing they hadin common was  an ability to galvanise a group of players to get them playing collectively at a level above their individual talents. A manager who commands and gets respect from players and is not afraid to make hard and unpopular decisions, for the good of the Club, when required. Steve Clarke& Sean Dyke are current examples of the type of man.

I just think Billy Dodds is probably a really nice guy who likes being everybody's pal, but would not have the ruthless streak necessary to succeed as a manager. I would say the same about the majority of the names quoted with the exception of Goodwin.& Lambert and I have no idea about Shelly Kerr!

• Like 1

I don't know who will get the job but as people say they are tired of the usual suspects let me throw 3 "left field" candidates in for your delight and delectation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kenny_(footballer)

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/its-time-come-cold-geordie-14789102

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Nolan

If anyone puts money on one of these guys and they get the job my cut will be reasonable.

We should get a good manager as we are an attractive proposition, we are not a hire and fire outfit. As others have said, we have much to offer an ambitious hardworking manager.

I think the debate on this thread, has been conducted in a very good and reasoned manner. With many different and valid cases well made.

Now that McCall has turned it down I would go for Goodwin. With our defensive midfield options he would still do a turn as a player as well

However a name I haven't seen mentioned so far is Derek Adams. Doesn't look like he has long left at Plymouth and whilst he has some personality issues he does tend to win football games so if we were looking for promotion he has the sort of CV that would be of interest. Any takers?

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

Now that McCall has turned it down I would go for Goodwin. With our defensive midfield options he would still do a turn as a player as well

However a name I haven't seen mentioned so far is Derek Adams. Doesn't look like he has long left at Plymouth and whilst he has some personality issues he does tend to win football games so if we were looking for promotion he has the sort of CV that would be of interest. Any takers?

My preference is Goodwin, but I'd take Adams.

i'm gonna ask a stupid question 

ian mccall will not take the managers job because he has a lot of respect for archie

fair enough, however if you have a chance to manage the team that is "close to your heart", why wouldn't you throw your hat in the ring

mccall didn't sack archie, the board did that

so why not apply ian ?

as i have posted  , and i hope you are reading this jacqui, yes and i do know you read the comments on this forum, then the man for the job is

jim goodwin. 

this lad is a winner give him a chance, mcintyre, caldwell et al    numpties!

what we want at firhill is someone that leads from the front, win lose or draw, and someone that we the fans can relate to, not somebody that has a personality bypass

we are partick thistle and we deserve better than the dross that has been served up recently

and no i'm not his agent, wife, granny just a jags fan for the past 50 odd years 

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

If it’s not going to be Ian McCall , then the person who ticks all the boxes for me is Stephen Craigen , good time in his career to step up to be a manager , coached at Motherwell at under 20s level so also has a good knowledge of Academy football , respected international player , knows our Club inside out  and is a winner .

Ticks a lot more boxes than some of the other names bandied about , not sure where all the hype about Jim Goodwin is coming from ?

1 hour ago, watties wallies said:

i'm gonna ask a stupid question 

ian mccall will not take the managers job because he has a lot of respect for archie

fair enough, however if you have a chance to manage the team that is "close to your heart", why wouldn't you throw your hat in the ring

mccall didn't sack archie, the board did that

so why not apply ian ?

as i have posted  , and i hope you are reading this jacqui, yes and i do know you read the comments on this forum, then the man for the job is

jim goodwin. 

this lad is a winner give him a chance, mcintyre, caldwell et al    numpties!

what we want at firhill is someone that leads from the front, win lose or draw, and someone that we the fans can relate to, not somebody that has a personality bypass

we are partick thistle and we deserve better than the dross that has been served up recently

and no i'm not his agent, wife, granny just a jags fan for the past 50 odd years 

:thumbsup2:

Got to be honest, though I agree Jim Goodwin has a winners mentality, I think we’re looking for a coach who has got the ability to improve players like Stevie Clarke did at Kilmarnock and make the Club as a whole better , in time Jim Goodwin might well be that man but too soon in my opinion 

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't know who will get the job but as people say they are tired of the usual suspects let me throw 3 "left field" candidates in for your delight and delectation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kenny_(footballer)

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/its-time-come-cold-geordie-14789102

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Nolan

If anyone puts money on one of these guys and they get the job my cut will be reasonable.

Nolan is a decent shout (dunno if he has applied).  Personally thought he overhauled Notts County and had them playing decent stuff alrhough after slight sticky spell that was readily forgotton. 

13 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to be honest, though I agree Jim Goodwin has a winners mentality, I think we’re looking for a coach who has got the ability to improve players like Stevie Clarke did at Kilmarnock and make the Club as a whole better , in time Jim Goodwin might well be that man but too soon in my opinion 

put it this way

we are a goal down 20 minutes to go you look across at the dug out and you see craigen or goodwin

which guy makes you pull out all the stops to fight for that equaliser

as you say craigen was a good player for us but as lambie always said

to get out of this league we need a team of fighters, scrap for every point 

and dont forget goodwin is and was a good technically gifted player

however it's good that we all have our own points of view and all that we want is the best for the harry wraggs

onwards and upwards    :thumbsup2:

7 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

put it this way

we are a goal down 20 minutes to go you look across at the dug out and you see craigen or goodwin

which guy makes you pull out all the stops to fight for that equaliser

as you say craigen was a good player for us but as lambie always said

to get out of this league we need a team of fighters, scrap for every point 

and dont forget goodwin is and was a good technically gifted player

however it's good that we all have our own points of view and all that we want is the best for the harry wraggs

onwards and upwards    :thumbsup2:

Unfortunately I’m not so sure football players now react the same way they did in the Lambie era , the last time we went up we had good players with pace like O’Donnell, ATS , Erskine etc and that with a strong midfield and defence made the difference 

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Unfortunately I’m not so sure football players now react the same way they did in the Lambie era , the last time we went up we had good players with pace like O’Donnell, ATS , Erskine etc and that with a strong midfield and defence made the difference 

yes i agree with some of that, with regards to quality of player we have at present. However i think we need someone at the helm with the vision and purpose to get get us out of this division and then look for the quality player. I also believe we do have certain players that can take us into the top division and also play at that level. For me its all about belief in the playing squad that we have at present. Unfortunately there are players that really are not up to that standard. However all that we can ask and expect is that those players that wear the red and yellow give 100% and nothing less, as we as fans do week after week  :thumbsup2: