Who's next?

Barney Rubble

15 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

AJ who do fancy for the managers position

Hi WW. Really unsure, Goodwin seems to be a strong favourite on this forum although he has only been at Alloa seems to have done a good job for them,so he might be worth taking a chance on. I think the board did the right thing giving Archie and Shaggy a chance to get us back up and I also think they did the right but very difficult thing by sacking them last week. So I trust them to get the right team in charge to hopefully have us in at the very least a play off position. Whoever it is I will give them 100% support as I am sure all Thistle fans will. I will be keeping a eye open to see who I can spot in the stand at the Dundee Utd game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Hi WW. Really unsure, Goodwin seems to be a strong favourite on this forum although he has only been at Alloa seems to have done a good job for them,so he might be worth taking a chance on. I think the board did the right thing giving Archie and Shaggy a chance to get us back up and I also think they did the right but very difficult thing by sacking them last week. So I trust them to get the right team in charge to hopefully have us in at the very least a play off position. Whoever it is I will give them 100% support as I am sure all Thistle fans will. I will be keeping a eye open to see who I can spot in the stand at the Dundee Utd game.

Although I have made it clear who I want and definitely Don't want I will get behind the new manager, even if that management team includes wee shitfaced, sevco EBT, tax dodging thicko Billy Dodds. 

On 10/11/2018 at 6:06 PM, Emsca said:

Sorry Billy, forgot you have only been an assistant, but you have been implicated in some poor managerial performances.

I don't think being "clearly liked and respected in media and football circles so will have good contacts" is that important....................... otherwise we might as well appoint Richard Gordon! 

Sure. That was the point i was making. So glad you agree

22 hours ago, Sivad said:

In considering applications for the post of Partick Thistle manager, I believe that two areas should be looked at – a positive previous experience at the club, and a degree of success in management. Some of Thistle’s worst managerial disasters have occurred when both these criteria have been ignored, e.g. Derek Johnstone, Sandy Clark, Tommy Bryce. (Pause for shudder).

Ian McCall fits the bill, but has understandably ruled himself out. Stephen Craigan has insufficient experience in management at this stage. Jackie McNamara has surely burned his boats. Jim Duffy meets the criteria, but there appears to be a worrying degree of hostility towards him, whether it is because of his departure from Firhill after captaining a promotion winning side, his low level of managerial achievement, or his recent unlamented sacking at Morton. We don’t need an appointment that divides the support before the new person has a chance. Then there’s Danny Lennon.

As John Lambie’s captain and leader on the field, Danny Lennon played a major role in Thistle’s near miraculous recovery from a club on the verge of extinction to a place in the Premier League, with successive league titles in 2001 and 2002. Lennon was an inspirational captain, organising and encouraging the players, and contributing 12 goals himself from midfield. History repeated itself at the start of his managerial career with Cowdenbeath, when he achieved back-to-back promotions with an unfashionable side. This led to his appointment as manager at St Mirren, where he was successful in leading the team to a Scottish League Cup triumph, and kept them in the Premier League for several seasons. Lennon was not sacked at St Mirren, they simply declined to renew his contract in 2014, for a perceived failure to meet expectations that he had succeeded in raising to unrealistic levels. The folly of that decision quickly became apparent, with what happened to St Mirren in the next two seasons. Last year he took over as manager at Clyde, a club that was heading for the Lowland League, and currently occupies a play-off place in League 2.

Ok, he has been out of the limelight for a few years, which may be why such an obvious candidate has not been widely quoted. But so had Ian McCall when he went to Ayr United, Steve Clarke when he was appointed by Kilmarnock, Claudio Ranieri when he went to Leicester City. We need a manager who is a good fit for Partick Thistle, and can unite the fans behind him. Based on his track record as a player and manager, that man is Danny Lennon.  

Thanks for your interest Danny

13 hours ago, watties wallies said:

i'm gonna ask a stupid question 

ian mccall will not take the managers job because he has a lot of respect for archie

fair enough, however if you have a chance to manage the team that is "close to your heart", why wouldn't you throw your hat in the ring

mccall didn't sack archie, the board did that

so why not apply ian ?

as i have posted  , and i hope you are reading this jacqui, yes and i do know you read the comments on this forum, then the man for the job is

jim goodwin. 

this lad is a winner give him a chance, mcintyre, caldwell et al    numpties!

what we want at firhill is someone that leads from the front, win lose or draw, and someone that we the fans can relate to, not somebody that has a personality bypass

we are partick thistle and we deserve better than the dross that has been served up recently

and no i'm not his agent, wife, granny just a jags fan for the past 50 odd years 

:thumbsup2:

You've won me over.

Given that Neilson is snapped up and McCall and Goodwin are not likely to be available (Goodwin recently tuned down a job out of 'loyalty' to Alloa - cant see how that is changed any), the 'least bad' begins to look like McIntyre or Lennon with Gary Caldwell as an outside  bet. Can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect.

58 minutes ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

What about Gary Naysmith at QOS - been in the role for a couple of season has them playing decent football. Plenty of playing experience and contacts ?

I was wondering about him doing ok with qos but has’t really done something special steady but nothing amazing.

Edited by That 1 jags fan

1 hour ago, ironfist said:

Thought Scott Allison spoke well yesterday. If he can motivate and organise the team today, then wouldn’t be averse to giving him a little longer, given the quality (or lack thereof) of the candidates linked so far 

Was also thinking this. If we get a really good performance and result today would the board be tempted to give him a run of say 6 games and see how he does?

7 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

I will get behind the new manager, even if that management team includes wee shitfaced, sevco EBT, tax dodging thicko Billy Dodds. 

There's little doubt that Dodds ending up at Firhill would be welcomed by the fans. Not Jags fans, but fans in general. The wee shitfaced, sevco EBT tax dodging thicko would be off the airwaves.

• Like 1

There are very few managers in the modern game that have an unblemished CV. The occasional sacking is almost to be expected as an aspect of the profession. This being the case, the trick for a hiring club is not necessarily to find a manager who has somehow avoided being handed their P45 -- as very few exist -- but to scrutinise the nature of the dismissal and accurately determine if the individual in question has learned from their experiences and is developing as a manager. If they have, and are on an upwards trajectory in terms of their mastery of the trade, and it transpires that their approach fits with the ethos and structures of the club, then I'm absolutely fine with the club appointing a manager with a couple of sackings under their belt. This being the case, the likes of Lennon and Hughes would be worth speaking to if interested, even though they may not be the favoured candidates initially. Talking costs nowt and you never know what might click unexpectedly. 

• Like 1