Who's next?

Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, AndyMac said:

Deja vu. This is not good.

"My overriding memories of his managerial reign was one of stubbornness and a never ending obsession to play it aimlessly around the back at a snails pace allowing the opposition to get back in formation. I recall that game at boundary park whenever I'm struggling to sleep. In addition all too often we left the striker isolated on his own up front, scandalous really given the resources we had. It was only the loan of mcaleny that we sorted that out. Clearly Yanic was major difference and in all honesty given the team we had anything other than the title would have been a failure, whomever was in charge.

His second season was a disaster. Players fitness was well below par, the obsession with pointless passing killed us by players unsuited to such a system, let alone some of the bizzare team selections with players out of position nigh on ever week. Personally I thought he was out of his depth, his tactics were wrong and quite frankly the tedious style was boring the arse of me. I thought he was the right appointment at the time but also thought it right he was sacked. Respect and like him as a man and player. However if he's to succeed at management he needs to ignore Bobs advice and realise there is nore than one way to play the game. You need to adapt and be flexible not rigidly stick to something even when it's not working - especially if you have lower league players who don't necessarily have the skill to play a certain way."

Gary Caldwell - Top Bloke

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/gary-caldwell-top-bloke.84126/page-2

Doesn’t sound promising at all , looking for someone who is going to give us optimism in making the players we’ve got better , the candidates like McIntyre, Caldwell, Duffy haven’t really inspired in that field at all .

Sounds like Caldwell and Archibald ‘s ethos of the game is possession football without any end product.

Worrying times 

• Like 1

So we are now at the point where the new manager is a dud BEFORE he gets appointed!

Every single person who could get the job will have some critics from a previous job so what we need to do is hope that they have learnt from previous experiences and back them.

Alternatively we could just get someone to take the training during the week and get a committee of fans to pick the team on a Friday evening - it is not as if we are short of experts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

"My overriding memories of his managerial reign was one of stubbornness and a never ending obsession to play it aimlessly around the back at a snails pace allowing the opposition to get back in formation. I recall that game at boundary park whenever I'm struggling to sleep. In addition all too often we left the striker isolated on his own up front, scandalous really given the resources we had. It was only the loan of mcaleny that we sorted that out. Clearly Yanic was major difference and in all honesty given the team we had anything other than the title would have been a failure, whomever was in charge.

His second season was a disaster. Players fitness was well below par, the obsession with pointless passing killed us by players unsuited to such a system, let alone some of the bizzare team selections with players out of position nigh on ever week. Personally I thought he was out of his depth, his tactics were wrong and quite frankly the tedious style was boring the arse of me. I thought he was the right appointment at the time but also thought it right he was sacked. Respect and like him as a man and player. However if he's to succeed at management he needs to ignore Bobs advice and realise there is nore than one way to play the game. You need to adapt and be flexible not rigidly stick to something even when it's not working - especially if you have lower league players who don't necessarily have the skill to play a certain way."

Oh well, that's that then.

Caldwell out!!

23 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

So we are now at the point where the new manager is a dud BEFORE he gets appointed!

Every single person who could get the job will have some critics from a previous job so what we need to do is hope that they have learnt from previous experiences and back them.

Alternatively we could just get someone to take the training during the week and get a committee of fans to pick the team on a Friday evening - it is not as if we are short of experts.

Don't say you weren't warned.

2 hours ago, AndyMac said:

I guess there's one question on everyone's lips, and I know I'm in for a restless night till I hear the answer, who is Bob?

Big decision for all involved after sacking our previous management team our board have to get this appointment right for the future of our club.Also if it is Caldwell I am sure he would think if he failed with us his chances of getting any other managerial position would be very slim.Whoever our next manager is lets hope he is very successful.

15 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Big decision for all involved after sacking our previous management team our board have to get this appointment right for the future of our club.Also if it is Caldwell I am sure he would think if he failed with us his chances of getting any other managerial position would be very slim.Whoever our next manager is lets hope he is very successful.

That's the streak doon Firhill road right oot the window AJ. :D

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Spot on. If Gerry and Jacqui Low get this wrong when there are more experienced options available it doesn't give them much wiggle room and as you say if Caldwell doesn't do well then his managerial career is pretty much at an end.

However I suspect we will be in for a period of managed decline. It looks but like a Murdo Mcleod/Peter Cormack type appointment.. Caldwell will steady things to the point we are on the edge of the playoffs but never seriously in contention for promotion. This will largely be achieved by some of players coming back to fitness (Bannigan, Brice, McCarthy, Coulibally).  So I suspect his real test will be at the start of season 19/20.

Hope I'm wrong and I wish Gary all the luck in the world.

23 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

It is Caldwell defo.  I don't have details of contract length but would hope it's only for one year with extension dependant on progress.

2 hours ago, Hankey said:

Its a done deal I'm told. Brian Kerr is the assistant. No idea about the contract or that. 

Not sure what to make of Caldwell. If he's made mistakes in the past he's young enough to have learned from them and he has managed at a relatively high level. That's  rather back handed praise and I suppose I'm really saying at least he's not Hughes or the like, who have never evolved.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett