Who's next?

Barney Rubble

I’ve sadly been around long enough to know that managerial appointments are rarely universally acclaimed ...... somebody always hates who ever is appointed ....everybody who has been mentioned has positives and negatives so who knows ! ?

i remember Murdo McLeod being appointed from Dunbarton ....young relatively successful and a total disaster ....even the great lambie didn’t come universally supported 

I for one don’t have any  great record at predicting managerial success, predictions g the future  or even any insight so....

i will accept whoever  the club appoint , wish them well and hope they are successful 

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 1

My cousin is a season ticket holder with Chesterfield FC. He says that Caldwell started off ok by trying to play football with a team not capable of it. Tried to play at tacking attractive football. Unfortunately it all went pearshaped and they ended up falling of the coupon and out of the football league. Kenneth wishes him well and hopes it works out for him up here. There were a lot of back room shenanigans at the club and he didn't get a fair crack of the whip.

17 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

So we are now at the point where the new manager is a dud BEFORE he gets appointed!

Every single person who could get the job will have some critics from a previous job so what we need to do is hope that they have learnt from previous experiences and back them.

Alternatively we could just get someone to take the training during the week and get a committee of fans to pick the team on a Friday evening - it is not as if we are short of experts.

I suppose the point is this is in the public domain. The board surely know the main gripes against Archie’s style of play and this sounds a carbon copy. 

The sun piece say board are impressed with his ambition. Ambition is laudable but  I would rather they were impressed with someones track record. 

Anyway, it’s a clean slate and Caldwell (assuming it is him) starts with my full support as any manager should. let’s hope he has learned much from his chastening chesterfield experience and we are the beneficiaries in which case the board will rightly deserve much kudos  

4 minutes ago, jaf said:

Anyway, it’s a clean slate and Caldwell (assuming it is him) starts with my full support as any manager should. let’s hope he has learned much from his chastening chesterfield experience and we are the beneficiaries in which case the board will rightly deserve much kudos

Agree with this.

If Caldwell is a success then the board and the chief exec deserve a round of applause. If not then they are culpable as they appear to be the part of small group that have faith in Caldwell's abilities when there are other options available.

I would add that this is also a high risk appointment due to the style of play Caldwell appears to be prefer. I'm not sure the Firhill faithful can go another 2 seasons of tippy-tappy, sideways ineffective football. Personally I want to see winning football with less emphasis on the style in which its achieved.

Also can't see how we get our current central defenders to be play it out from the back when their main strengths are as ball winning aerially commanding centre-halfs?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jaf said:

I suppose the point is this is in the public domain. The board surely know the main gripes against Archie’s style of play and this sounds a carbon copy. 

The sun piece say board are impressed with his ambition. Ambition is laudable but  I would rather they were impressed with someones track record. 

Pretty sure it is going to be Caldwell but I would have preferred someone who had a real knowledge of the level that we’re playing at just now , think he’s going to have to learn as he goes.

Big job on his hands to reverse whats happened over the last couple of years.

I for one would be very happy with Caldwell assuming it is him.  In my eyes he’s the perfect middle ground between not an old has been like Duffy ,McIntyre or Hughes but still knows the Scottish game and is still young and relatively fresh. On the other side isint as a completely un tested quantity that gemmil or any of the supposed “applicants from abroad”. He for me fits well in between both sides of  which most fans seem to be on one side or the other of. I would also like to think he might have some good contacts having been down south and played for Celtic etc. A massive massive failure or Archie’s was his lack of contacts. 

7 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

But, we shall see in good time?  We will have to be patient as he is walking in to an absolute shambles.

Take your point but I doubt we're any worse than most clubs when they're looking to replace a sacked manager. When McCall took over from Campbell (and Bone), now that was an absolute shambles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

When McCall took over from Campbell (and Bone), now that was an absolute shambles

That sounds like a question for a new topic. What was the thistle mange left the squad in the biggest shambles?

Campbell's squad takes some beating but Rooney, Lamont, Collins, Whyte/Britton also must be in with a shout?

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Take your point but I doubt we're any worse than most clubs when they're looking to replace a sacked manager. When McCall took over from Campbell (and Bone), now that was an absolute shambles

However, McCall did have a clean summer to rebuild; something that won’t be a luxury for our new manager.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, mulguy jag said:

I would run down firhill road naked AJ.:party:Then again I  would not want to offend the numerous snowflakes on this forum who dislike cheap banter.

Hope your not an Ipswich fan as well as a jag. As Lambert is now their manager.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2018 at 12:16 PM, dougie247 said:

Absolutely no one who comes to us is gonna have an unblemished record! .. Whoever it is let's make sure we all get right behind them and the team!!! 

You might be right but we have had Archie, Davie and Bertie. I'd take any of those starting off before a Caldwell any time.