Who's next?

Barney Rubble

I actually reckon Gary Caldwell could be a decent shout. Heard him on the radio the other week and liked the way he was talking, focussed on what he's learned and hungry for another chance. The guy seems intelligent and has always been a leader, and a winner. There could be potential there.

But that is very little to go on....

I do like Ian McCall. Would welcome him back.

7 hours ago, sabbath said:

Lets be Honest. John Lambie is gone, so lets go for the man who actually built the team that Archibald took the credit for. You know who I'm talking about. ........ooooooh Jacki

Surely yr at the wind up sabbath. Short term success at Thistle with mccoll's team and peesh at utd and york thereafter? Montaefeck

It is a tricky one. Do the club go tried and tested, young up and coming or a bit left field?

From what I was told about McCall's alleged conduct during the Shankland transfer negotiations, I would doubt very much that he will be in the running. Out of the 'old guard' on the circuit, he is probably the only one I would like to see get the job mind you.

Peter Houston, Jim Duffy, John Hughes etc have all seen better days and are not the way forward in my opinion. I also cringe when I hear people mention McIntyre and Dodds.

Stubbs is someone I would have thought a good fit a few months ago but then heard about what he was like at St Mirren. A total disaster on and off the pitch.

I'd probably like to see us go for someone up and coming like Goodwin. Hungry and a born winner. 

Thinking outside the box there are options like John Kennedy, Kevin Thomson and Scott Gemmill, none of which have been in charge at clubs but are looking for a start in management. In the position we are in I think this would be asking too much for someone with no experience though.

We can speculate all we want but until the club receives the applications, they won't know the best option.

Ask any St Mirren, Motherwell or Wolves fan if the had heard of their current manager before they were appointed and how many Kilmarnock fans were touting Steve Clark for the job at Rugby Park? We may be surprised.

On another note, is anybody else surprised at the interim management team for next Saturday's game?

2 hours ago, allyo said:

I actually reckon Gary Caldwell could be a decent shout. Heard him on the radio the other week and liked the way he was talking, focussed on what he's learned and hungry for another chance. The guy seems intelligent and has always been a leader, and a winner. There could be potential there.

But that is very little to go on....

I do like Ian McCall. Would welcome him back.

Hadn't thought about Caldwell. What is he doing just now?

6 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

From what I heard the new management team could be in place Tomorrow or Tuesday 

Interesting. Care to give us any names?

The statement said expressions of interest by 12th which at less than a week suggests a quick appointment

17 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Not doubting the veracity in what you're saying, Norge, but info like that being leaked, whether from inside the Club or from the prospective management team, could be harmful. Certainly doesn't reflect well on the source.   

35 minutes ago, Jag said:

Hadn't thought about Caldwell. What is he doing just now?

Looking for another chance, as far as I could make out.

its all about fit. I'm not so sure there is a great spectrum between good manager and bad manager. You see guys who have had great success falling completely out of favour, to the point they can't get a look in anywhere. Have they lost the skills? Or is it really just about perception, confidence, relationships and other such things which can be pretty variable and depend a great deal about being at the right club at the right time. I'd suggest the latter, and that's why no appointment will bring guaranteed success, and any appointment should be given a chance.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Unless it is time critical i.e. having to get the guy before another club does, I think this would be extremely foolish.  

I suppose the club could already have had someone lined up to replace Archie mind you.

If your source is correct, this leans towards Robbie Neilson, which, if Dundee United are also in for him, would surprise me.

All speculation of course.

25 minutes ago, Jag said:

Scott McKenzie?

Rather surprised he was not mentioned as part of the interim coaching team. Gerry Briton and Scott Allison are obviously "long term club servants" who will have a pre-existing role to which to return when their interim task is finished. Is Scott Mackenzie regarded as a "club man" in the same category or is he regarded as an "Archie man" who would normally be expected to move on (subject of course to satisfaction of all contractual rights) when a new management team arrives?

It did occur to me that his non-mention might be to give him some flexibility to apply for one of the vacant roles either as manager or more likely as assistant manager if the new main appointee does not have an existing working relationship with someone he/she would want to bring as assistant. However, even that possibility would seem rather remote.