Who's next?

Barney Rubble

One thing that's not been mentioned is the training complex. Could be a major influence in attracting the right sort of manager. That combined with the infrastructure of the Club as a whole being in good shape must play a part. Along with County and to a lesser degree, Dunfermline, outside of the top division we must be about the most stable and financially secure full time club. Factor in that we're clearly not a sacking club (no longer the nest of vipers) and we should be of serious interest to a wide range of candidates.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One thing that's not been mentioned is the training complex. Could be a major influence in attracting the right sort of manager. That combined with the infrastructure of the Club as a whole being in good shape must play a part. Along with County and to a lesser degree, Dunfermline, outside of the top division we must be about the most stable and financially secure full time club. Factor in that we're clearly not a sacking club (no longer the nest of vipers) and we should be of serious interest to a wide range of candidates.

I was going to say something close to this but you beat me to it.

The finances at the last set of accounts were excellent and the ones which should be out before the end of the year will be up to the end of May '18. Although we got relegated we still had high crowd plus 2 televised cup ties so I would expect those to be solid as well. The training ground is a big positive and we have a good Academy which is fully funded for 2 seasons after this. We also have ourselves - fans who have literally saved the club. We have a good reputation in the game for the way we go about our business (eg injured players) and are not a club with a revolving door policy on managers. Before Saturday it was 11 years and 6 months since we actually sacked a manager.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Wasn't Ian McCall sacked?

Or was he displaced by 'mutual consent'?

I honestly can't remember.

As I recall he resigned but it was quite "hush hush" at the time although now everybody and their aunt claims to know the real reason. It certainly was not a sacking though. Dick Campbell was, until Saturday, the last Thistle manager to be sacked.

49 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I was going to say something close to this but you beat me to it.

The finances at the last set of accounts were excellent and the ones which should be out before the end of the year will be up to the end of May '18. Although we got relegated we still had high crowd plus 2 televised cup ties so I would expect those to be solid as well. The training ground is a big positive and we have a good Academy which is fully funded for 2 seasons after this. We also have ourselves - fans who have literally saved the club. We have a good reputation in the game for the way we go about our business (eg injured players) and are not a club with a revolving door policy on managers. Before Saturday it was 11 years and 6 months since we actually sacked a manager.

Heard Neilson on the radio talking about his next job, and the reason why he didn't want St Mirren. He sounds very cautious, conscious that if he's not successful with his next job then that could be it for him. Very careful about where the club is and what the expectations are. I'm not saying he's the right fit, I'm not sure that he is, but I do think he might see Thistle as a better bet than Dundee United, so I wouldn't write off our chances there.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Got to agree with this. I saw Jim Spence on Twitter asking which was the more attractive job, Thistle or Dundee Utd. One of the first responses was "Dundee Utd are thr bigger club", which didn't answer the question.

We are debt free, have new training complex being built and have had one manager in the last five and half years compared to Utd's four. Added the that, I'm sure Glasgow based managers would prefer not to travel to Dundee every day. It's bad enough going to Dundee a couple of times a season, never mind working there.

They may be able to offer more money but the chances are Thistle would offer more security.

2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

If Norgethistle is correct about a quick appointment, then it looks as if they made moves prior to Saturday with the view that a defeat would be the end for Archie. And the fact that Paterson has gone as well would lend some weight to this. But, we await agog.

Although our results/performances have been poor since we got top 6 it was still a big decision for the board to sack the management team. Imo we should wait and see who applies for the job. But as has also been suggested we may already have somebody ready to come in.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Given Duffy was sacked by Morton for not being good enough why should we take a punt on him? Great player but poor as a manager 

I think he will get the respect of the players, and i think he is a decent manager, maybe morton didnt work for him?

11 minutes ago, Big Wull said:

I think he will get the respect of the players, and i think he is a decent manager, maybe morton didnt work for him?

I always liked Duffy. Very experienced and plenty common sense. Unlike Archie. He could release the unused potential of several players at our club.

He had no resources at Morton and the grumpiest support whose expectancy exceeded reality.

However I would prefer McColl who has galvanised several players at Ayr, especially Shankland but also several others. It’s great to see young Scottish players improving so dramatically under him. His interview yesterday was bursting with pride in his young team. ‘Shankland is going to be a top player’  ‘CrawFord is best midfielder in the league’ ‘We can’t find space for Rose because everyone else is playing so well’.

These players were going nowhere till McColl took over.

He could work wonders(again) for Thistle.

12 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I always liked Duffy. Very experienced and plenty common sense. Unlike Archie. He could release the unused potential of several players at our club.

He had no resources at Morton and the grumpiest support whose expectancy exceeded reality.

However I would prefer McColl who has galvanised several players at Ayr, especially Shankland but also several others. It’s great to see young Scottish players improving so dramatically under him. His interview yesterday was bursting with pride in his young team. ‘Shankland is going to be a top player’  ‘CrawFord is best midfielder in the league’ ‘We can’t find space for Rose because everyone else is playing so well’.

These players were going nowhere till McColl took over.

He could work wonders(again) for Thistle.

Duffy actually had a very decent budget at Morton- they have long had a decent budget courtesy of their funding from the Rae family