Who's next?

Barney Rubble

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I’d take him over the uninspiring Duffy McIntyre Hughes etc

Either someone from the club is blabber mouthing to the Sun, or Caldwell's agent is talking the whole thing up, my guess is the second. Either way, somebody has zero class.

1 hour ago, mulguy jag said:

I would run down firhill road naked AJ.:party:Then again I  would not want to offend the numerous snowflakes on this forum who dislike cheap banter.

No no, you're wrong MJ, "snowflakes" love that sort of stuff , it's all very diverse and modern.  You should combine it with some of your best "cheap banter", you'd be onto a sure fire winner, with no offence given, nor taken. Let's face it, streaking never did John Hughes any harm. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I’d take him over the uninspiring Duffy McIntyre Hughes etc 

I disagree. If the choice was Caldwell or McIntyre I would rather have McIntyre. Whilst not wonderfully inspiring at lest he has experience of winning this league.

I would still prefer Goodwin. As  a player the guy would kick his granny to win a game and we as a club desperately need someone to instill a desire to win in our current playing staff. From the board to the players we just too 'nice'.

I think this appointment might be pivotal to Gerry Britton's reign as chief exec. If he goes for someone like Caldwell then it would suggest to me that he doesn't want a manager that will challenge him as chief exec or test the boards ambitions.

Lambert would be ambitious however I can't see him taking it as he's only been out of work for a few months and has no real affinity to us. Clarke had a lot longer out of the game and an affinity with Kilmarnock.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Given the decline that has descended on the club, whoever gets the job will need to have a working knowledge of wine, water, loaves and fishes.

From what I heard yesterday there were certainly plenty of calls from the stands for God's son, although I never new he had a middle name starting with F

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Talks a good game.

Especially this;

"The team changed, but the principles behind the way we were going to play stayed the same.

Never change the way you play – that’s something I learned from Roberto Martinez. He taught me that once you believe in something, you stick by it. If it’s not working, you don’t rip it up and start again. You find ways to make it better."

Says the man with 2 relegation's in 3 seasons. Not exactly Bill Shankly, is he?

Caldwell has better record in England than Neilson, therefore think it’s worth giving him a chance. He hasn’t managed in Scotland which may be no bad thing.

We are not going to recruit a manager who has been successful at every club they have managed, they don’t exist.

I don’t want us to recruit the manager merry go round of Scottish media luvvies, lets go a bit left field in the true Thistle way

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

Caldwell has better record in England than Neilson, therefore think it’s worth giving him a chance. He hasn’t managed in Scotland which may be no bad thing.

We are not going to recruit a manager who has been successful at every club they have managed, they don’t exist.

I don’t want us to recruit the manager merry go round of Scottish media luvvies, lets go a bit left field in the true Thistle way

I wouldn't of touched Neilson with a barge pole.

Caldwell's managerial record is pretty dismal. Worth remembering the club that he had some success with is Wigan, a club bankrolled by Dave Wheelan, a man who's net worth is in the hundreds of millions.  Calwell's "spell" at Chesterfield a  more straightened club, was an absolute unmitigated disaster.

Fair enough; if you like a good sob story and are happy with a manager, who has a record of 3 relegation's and 1 promotion in 3 years Calwell's the man for you.

For me, its Jim Goodwin :thumbsup2:

Not touting any manager,but when our ex manager applies for a new job I think the fans of any club he might be linked with will probably look at the last 18 months he had with us and think he was rubbish. Whoever we get I am sure all of our fans will get behind them and hope they are a success.I think we will know in the next day or 2 who it is.

55 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

I wouldn't of touched Neilson with a barge pole.

Caldwell's managerial record is pretty dismal. Worth remembering the club that he had some success with is Wigan, a club bankrolled by Dave Wheelan, a man who's net worth is in the hundreds of millions.  Calwell's "spell" at Chesterfield a  more straightened club, was an absolute unmitigated disaster.

Fair enough; if you like a good sob story and are happy with a manager, who has a record of 3 relegation's and 1 promotion in 3 years Calwell's the man for you.

For me, its Jim Goodwin :thumbsup2:

Not convinced chesterfield were a straightened club as they seem to have been a complete shambles off the pitch with lots of problems 

29 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not convinced chesterfield were a straightened club as they seem to have been a complete shambles off the pitch with lots of problems 

Agreed Third Lanark. My poor use language twisted what I meant.

Was meaning that Chesterfield were a financially straitened club compared to Wigan. You're right Chesterfield are in no way a "straightened" or straight club.

Nevertheless, look at what Ian McCall achieved as manager of Clydebank, working out of a potacabin, can't think of more difficult circumstances. Any clown can cruise along at a club with decent resources and support mechanisms. You find out a lot more about a person in how they react and cope in difficult circumstances.

Whoever the manager is they will need to turn our squad of players around from the losing mentality they seem to have. The only positives from yesterday were our substitutes made a difference and we also showed fight after going 2 down. I think there is a case for our 3 subs from yesterday starting against Alloa,depending on their fitness of course.

• Like 1

Deja vu. This is not good.

"My overriding memories of his managerial reign was one of stubbornness and a never ending obsession to play it aimlessly around the back at a snails pace allowing the opposition to get back in formation. I recall that game at boundary park whenever I'm struggling to sleep. In addition all too often we left the striker isolated on his own up front, scandalous really given the resources we had. It was only the loan of mcaleny that we sorted that out. Clearly Yanic was major difference and in all honesty given the team we had anything other than the title would have been a failure, whomever was in charge.

His second season was a disaster. Players fitness was well below par, the obsession with pointless passing killed us by players unsuited to such a system, let alone some of the bizzare team selections with players out of position nigh on ever week. Personally I thought he was out of his depth, his tactics were wrong and quite frankly the tedious style was boring the arse of me. I thought he was the right appointment at the time but also thought it right he was sacked. Respect and like him as a man and player. However if he's to succeed at management he needs to ignore Bobs advice and realise there is nore than one way to play the game. You need to adapt and be flexible not rigidly stick to something even when it's not working - especially if you have lower league players who don't necessarily have the skill to play a certain way."

Gary Caldwell - Top Bloke

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/gary-caldwell-top-bloke.84126/page-2