Christie Elliot steps down

AlgarveJag

A big brave decision I think from Christie Elliot to hand in the captain's armband at this time.  Shows great maturity and ironically a degree of leadership as well as culpability.

Positive interview on the official site.  I'm a big fan of his contribution to the team over the years he's been with us which in the past went a bit unnoticed but he's put himself into the limelight where he admits that's he's been less than comfortable lately.

I'm looking forward to seeing the grafter and professional that is the real Christie Elliot, for the rest of season and hope now his name only comes up for the many positive contributions he is capable of making in a game.

Well done Christie and all the best for the rest of the season!

• Like 2

Christie did a good job of explaining the reasoning behind his decision to hand over the armband. It's clear that he was honoured to be made captain; but if, as he suggests, it has had a detrimental impact on his form then stepping down is the correct decision. Erskine is probably the most vocal of our veterans, but Bannigan and Doolan also lead by example. Any one of these three would represent the club well both on and off the field. If I was forced to pick one it would be Bannigan, because he's in the engine room of the team, I think it would bring the best out of him and he's at an age where he could be with us for a few years yet. 

Got to be Bannigan as both Doolan and Erskine are unlikely to play 90 minutes plus not even certain starters. I assume Dools will remain club captain.  

Good decision from Christie. Regardless of anyone's opinion of his football ability no one can surely question his attitude or his professionalism. Far more important to the Club than some more technically gifted player with half-arsed commitment. 

• Like 3

Big decision for Elliott to make, fair play to him. This clearly confirms that the captaincy was a weight on his shoulders and Christie reckons it has been affecting his performances.

This interview also confirms that he kinda says "kinda" way too much.

5 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

People outside the UK find our footballing culture with captaincy baffling.  Overly hyped in importance.

Know what you mean.

Everyone should be trying to lead by example, so a captain of that type should never be needed.

The best captains I can remember were organisers. I can visualise them conducting play and 'offering' positional direction from a central position on the park, to those running around with their heads up their a7ses.

They understand what the manager wants and are able to convey that message on the park. They need awareness, drive, commitment and above all else, respect from their team mates.

That rules out all of the centre backs, so needs to be one of our central mid players.

Sounds like it could be Bannigan, although I'm not sure he has enough drive.

Bannigan.........The man who had his agent  trying all over the world to get out of Firhill............Pluck me. This undoubtedly highlights the level of mince coming from this site.  Is this how low we get........................phuck sake...................................Bannigan. Get yourself down the Crow is bishopbriggs and see how he milk his supposed injury. Did this prick have thistle best interest at heart???   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sabbath said:

Bannigan.........The man who had his agent  trying all over the world to get out of Firhill............Pluck me. This undoubtedly highlights the level of mince coming from this site.  Is this how low we get........................phuck sake...................................Bannigan. Get yourself down the Crow is bishopbriggs and see how he milk his supposed injury. Did this prick have thistle best interest at heart???   

Now. I have been very vocal in wanting Thistle to release him in the last 2 years. But to say that he had a supposed injury is just ludicrous and just definitely shows you are either a troll or you have completely lost it.

4 hours ago, sabbath said:

Do you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sabbath said:

When it comes to mince you supply the cheapest stuff.

6 hours ago, sabbath said:

Get real, every player at our level is trying to better themselves and get a move to a bigger club with the financial security that offers .

In fact one of the selling points if I was the manager was to say to players , this is your shop window to get your move . Do your best for PTFC and we won’t stand in your way to get a better move and hopefully get compensated along the way.

At best your post was nonsense 

10 hours ago, sabbath said:

Yes if he did not get the injury he would not be at Firhill.But he is and since he came back he has been one of our best players and long may he do it in the red and yellow of Partick Thistle.

11 hours ago, sabbath said:

I'm smiling a bit reading this and think you maybe just rolled in from The Crow when you wrote it.

No doubt he was looking to move to better things, as was touted as a future Scotland pick etc., but no way was he milking it. Every player has their own interests at heart except maybe Diego Simeone :head_ball: 

Bannigan was always around Firhill doing commentary and other stuff and struck me as a real team player, even when injured. Not many football players would hang around a ground if they were fit to play.

As things stand, I'm struggling to think who else could do the job.

Edited by CotterJag
Missing text.