Thistle v Dundee Utd

Jag

Cannot argue that Dundee Utd lead is not deserved. They are playing some very neat passing football with give and goes penetrating our defence. In contrast we cannot seem to pass through the midfield and are reduced to long passes and very few effective attacks

Have to change something and no doubt someone(s) but also have to find way of providing service to the front  players. Quitongo, Mutombo and a change of system on the cards.

Edited by partickthedog
Improving word choice

I probably don't deserve an opinion as am on hols and am having to listen to bbc sportsound, but, sounds like we are as utterly peesh as we've been most of the season. Something is rotten in our club, beyond just the last management team. This group of players might just not be good enough but the crap being fed to us from all angles is very very poor.

When you are working for an employer you ptetty much need to be happy at your work and like/respect the person who is employing you to ensure you put a shift in. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Huge clear out needed of the guff he kept and the guff he brought in. We could be suffering for the last 18 months of archies tenure for years to come. We look like a team going down again.

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

I probably don't deserve an opinion as am on hols and am having to listen to bbc sportsound, but, sounds like we are as utterly peesh as we've been most of the season. Something is rotten in our club, beyond just the last management team. This group of players might just not be good enough but the crap being fed to us from all angles is very very poor.

When you are working for an employer you ptetty much need to be happy at your work and like/respect the person who is employing you to ensure you put a shift in. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Huge clear out needed of the guff he kept and the guff he brought in. We could be suffering for the last 18 months of archies tenure for years to come. We look like a team going down again.

You’re absolutely right as regards the mess the Club is in as I’ve previously posted , from the Academy upwards . Our recruitment and scouting for players be that Academy , Reserve team ( which in my opinion should be about coaching and developing players to get to first team football ) and the recruitment for the first team is there for all to see ) Need an experienced coach at Academy level to possibly dovetail with the new first coach to get our Club back on track .

Not going to happen overnight, at least 2 or 3 years before we’re back on track .

Positives from today

2 changes in formation - first half was a 4-4-2 changed to a 4-3-1-2 in the second half

A sub at halftime and it was Spittal that got correctly subbed

We change the end we shoot into so that second half we played towards the North stand which helped the atmosphere and probably helped the players press forward in the last 20 minutes

Quitongo was good when he came on. Totally bullied the Dundee United defence and sparked us into life. Whilst Erskine gave him a decent pass for the goal he did a lot of it himself and his finish was very good.He needs to start.

McCarthy brought some energy when he came on.

Negatives

First half Dundee United should have been out of sight. Our midfield really struggled defensively and we couldn't hold any position or create any real opportunities

Storey was poor. I thought Storey was a player when we signed him and when he  stayed with us I thought he would good in the championship  but I think he needs to move on. He's in such a rut that I think we need to cut our loses.

Doolan wasn't really in the game. I don't think this league suits him as its more blood and thunder than the premier.

Our midfield getting caught in possession when a simple pass or clearance was avaliable. Bannigan pretty much gave away the second goal. Erskine gave the free-kick away leading to the first both because they wanted a bit more time on the ball.

Still need a right back

Only Bell, McGinty, Keown, Penrice, Quitongo and McCarthy got pass marks today the rest were below par.

• Like 1

Poor first half. Better in second half of the second half. McCarthy did well when he came in as did Quitongo and a great goal. Despite possession and pressing at the end, I can’t really remember us having an effort on target. 

A lot of work for the new manager to do with that squad that Archibald has left us with.

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re absolutely right as regards the mess the Club is in as I’ve previously posted , from the Academy upwards . Our recruitment and scouting for players be that Academy , Reserve team ( which in my opinion should be about coaching and developing players to get to first team football ) and the recruitment for the first team is there for all to see ) Need an experienced coach at Academy level to possibly dovetail with the new first coach to get our Club back on track .

Not going to happen overnight, at least 2 or 3 years before we’re back on track .

I can't see the weirs been happy either. They have invested a large amount of money towards the youth academy along with the future facility in East Dunbartonshire. I hope this fantastic opportunity thanks to the Weirs is not squandered due to mismanagement.  

We were lucky not to be 4 down at half time. Fair play to Britton and Allison for trying to change things around with formation changes and early sub's.  Better effort in 2nd half with Quitongo and McCarthy doing well. Spittal and Storey no where near good enough. Not a chance we'll be anywhere close to playoffs without some new faces.

• Like 1

Was surprised that we started with Archibald’s team. Thought a shake up would have been a smart move.

United weren’t great but played like a team.

Just over 2000 home fans, must be just about down to the hardcore now.

Only positive for me was winning the half time draw :thumbsup:

Edited by BowenBoys
  • Like 3

Well, “straight back up” is out of sight with this squad. For 70 minutes our attacking play was - yet again - to the tune of steptoe and son.    Nine, yes 9, competitive defeats and it’s barely mid October! The way we’ve been easily turned over at home in the last week has been both predictable and extremely worrying.

The new guy will have his work cut out, will need to shove a few out the door in January and get better quality in.  Be interesting to see if that’s with beyond this season in mind. 

Only bright spots were the urgency and direct play provided by our first two subs. Major work lies ahead and it cannot be completed in time for “straight back up”.