Gary Caldwell confirmation

TartanC4

Hopefully a breath of fresh air.

I hope he attended our recent matches where he would have seen some appalling performances and loads of dead wood.  

We should not expect to be in contention this year considering the garbage that Archie left. But there is some talent there that never gets a game and if he can fire Chris and Kris we can stay up and push on for promotion next year.

6 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Hopefully a breath of fresh air. He will need time of course....

Echo that.

Very much doubt we'll learn much about any great formation changes from our trip to the Recs. Surface and shrunken pitch dictate we'd have had to make alterations whoever will be in charge. The Ayr game will be a much better barometer especially having played them twice already 

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

considering the garbage that Archie left

I have to disagree, think he made some Alright signings....Nothing to set the world alight but few good players...

Sean McGinty
Thomas O’Ware
Souleymane Coulibaly
Andréa Mbuyi-Mutombo
Jai Quitongo

31 minutes ago, TartanC4 said:

I have to disagree, think he made some Alright signings....Nothing to set the world alight but few good players...

Sean McGinty
Thomas O’Ware
Souleymane Coulibaly
Andréa Mbuyi-Mutombo
Jai Quitongo

Totally agree. Some cracking players there. I really think McGinty will be a great player for us.

This appointment ticks a lot of boxes so credit to the Board.  Gary Caldwell had  a distinguished playing career and has management experience - he comes over as a man with a plan who puts a degree of thought and planning into his role.  I don't know anything about his assistant Brian Kerr but it looks a shrewd move to bring in someone with local knowledge. 

Partick Thistle are a club with a sound financial base, a Board who are not trigger happy with managers, there will be a new Training Facility and there is an untapped fan base - it's a fantastic opportunity for a manager to make his name.  We also have some good players in the squad - Bannigan, Erskine, Doolan, Slater and Bell are decent professionals and Penrice, McCarthy, Quitongo and Fitzpatrick have talent which can be developed. The defence badly needs sorting but a former Scotland central defender should be able to improve this although he will need a transfer window.

A play-off place with a team which has a realistic chance of going up is an achievable target - anything less will be something of a disappointment. Thistle should always be a top flight  club or at least seriously challenging to get there...we can't afford to slip back to the mediocrity of every manager except Lambie  from Benny Rooney to Dick Campbell.

Gary talks the talk...let's hope he can walk the walk...good luck to him!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He seems to have his finger on the pulse in terms of what the fans have been calling for: Improved defence and fitness, and a commitment to youth.  If he can stabilise the team until the end of year transfer window then promotion is possible.  A good appointment in my view.

Best of luck to Gary and Brian.

Let's all start with a clean slate going forward .  Where possible, every player should be given an opportunity to see if they can lay claim to a place in Gary Caldwell's team.

No place for deadwood in the this squad  any longer if promotion is a viable proposition this season.  C'mon Jags, get right intae this league!

No idea how he'll do but I'm happy with the appointment. A lot of managerial experience for someone so young, played under some very decent managers, and a successful leader as a player. Ticks a lot of boxes; though to be honest I'd have argued in favour of almost any appointment. For me he'll only be judged on what happens from here.

Best of luck to him.

I think it is a good appointment. Not a name that was being immediately quoted after Archie’s departure.

He has played at the highest level and been in the dressing room with some top managers and players. He’s also young enough to bring a freshness and ambition to the job.

I just hope he is 100% aware of the challenge.  Doing a good presentation is one thing but football management is a tough gig and the only thing that matters is the teams results. Every area of the current team needs improved and it will need to be done with a comparatively tiny budget. There will be little scope to buy success.  The pressure starts immediately. Thistle fans will need to show some patience but as we know there is a limit!!

Welcome to Firhill Gary please give us something to cheer about.

1 minute ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I think it is a good appointment. Not a name that was being immediately quoted after Archie’s departure.

He has played at the highest level and been in the dressing room with some top managers and players. He’s also young enough to bring a freshness and ambition to the job.

I just hope he is 100% aware of the challenge.  Doing a good presentation is one thing but football management is a tough gig and the only thing that matters is the teams results. Every area of the current team needs improved and it will need to be done with a comparatively tiny budget. There will be little scope to buy success.  The pressure starts immediately. Thistle fans will need to show some patience but as we know there is a limit!!

Welcome to Firhill Gary please give us something to cheer about.

Still young enough to play. Only 36 years old

Its going to seem like the beachgrove garden with all  the dead wood that Archibald accumulated, a lot of hungry agents this Christmas. Just steady the club because we were in trouble. Listened to the Wigan  boys on utube talking about too many draws and not enough wins. Goals win games, the style is not important, even your Man City boys will agree. No one has ever jumped out of their seat at a great pass. sort out the mess at the back, cut out the pointless passing and go for goals.....................Oh and by the way..............Welcome to FIRHILL.    

10 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Perhaps some of the backroom staff will also have to prove their worth under the new management team. Caldwell has already stated that fitness is a concern, presumably after looking at the stats, and there may well be questions about the standard of goalkeeping coaching too.

Where does he say fitness is a concern? 

4 hours ago, TartanC4 said:

Sean McGinty
Thomas O’Ware
Souleymane Coulibaly
Andréa Mbuyi-Mutombo
Jai Quitongo

That’s my point. Apart from McGinty, who has been ok(just), none of the others have been playing(some justifiably some not)

We have other promising youngsters In Fitzpatrick, McCarthy and Penrice, with only the latter playing.

We have 3 Jags legends still on our books too.

Caldwell needs to change everything, kick some ass, dispatch some dead wood and introduce youngsters sensibly this season in preparation for an assault next year. But we need to stay up first and at present we’re a relegation team.

All the best to Mr Caldwell as Thistle's new manager. It sounds like he wants to make changes in organization, fight, attitude.... Little to complain about with that.

I just hope that by improving the defence he doesn't mean just trying to play defensively hoping to eek out a draw... cos our defenders just aren't good enough to do that.

Edited by Jaggernaut