Gary Caldwell confirmation

TartanC4

Very pleased with this appointment. Time will tell if this works out but I am optimistic. 

Really glad the board have been brave and not gone down the route of one of the old guard. Caldwell is young, hungry and has a point to prove. He prepared well for his interview and has clearly impressed Gerry Britton and Jacqui Low.

He's  making the right noises and wants to play attractive football, which is certainly what I want to see. 

6 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

That’s my point. Apart from McGinty, who has been ok(just), none of the others have been playing(some justifiably some not)

We have other promising youngsters In Fitzpatrick, McCarthy and Penrice, with only the latter playing.

We have 3 Jags legends still on our books too.

Caldwell needs to change everything, kick some ass, dispatch some dead wood and introduce youngsters sensibly this season in preparation for an assault next year. But we need to stay up first and at present we’re a relegation team.

I think your being kind to McGinty there..

Although Caldwell will have a tough job on his hands, I reckon we are only two or three players away from having a reasonable squad. If Coulibaly gets going and Bannigan remains fit, I reckon we need a decent left sided defender and cover for right back. 

Hopeful that the youngsters, mainly Quitongo and Fitzpatrick, will get a lot more game time. He may even be able to tame young Jack, you never know!

Although I do believe basic analysis of team performance might lead to the conclusion that there is a general issue with fitness, given how often the team start brightly then fade out the game in the latter part of first and second half.

That's not the same as individual assessment of players and associated training plans - I would imagine that would require more time and interaction with players on the training ground and in the gym.

Pretty sure he'd have been at a few games knowing that there could be a vacancy, if I was looking for a managers job I'd be at as many games as I could, especially the teams with relatively poor results and with potential or expectation that they could do better.

Anyway, good luck Gary and here's hoping you can get the best out of what you now have.

20 minutes ago, fenski said:

That's the only thing I don't understand - how could he have done proper squad assessment prior to being appointed?

I took it as an assessment of data provided by the Club but that of course opens up other questions. It's widely known that there's no hiding place on and off the pitch these days and we like most full time clubs will have comprehensive monitoring of each player. 

Alternatively Gary could've just asked prior to his interview if he could attend training exercises beforehand. If that had happened and he was the only prospective manager attending training I think his name would've been bandied about that much earlier. 

The board may have shared some data with candidates before the interviews took place. 

Managers have a huge amount of info available regarding fitness nowadays. They will also be aware of what the normal standard is for the data within other clubs. So if there was a fitness problem why would they have kept Junior Mendes on? Why would the board not act? 

Late goals were more to do with mentality in my opinion - a problem it has to be said was constant throughout his time as manager here. 

2 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

The board may have shared some data with candidates before the interviews took place. 

Managers have a huge amount of info available regarding fitness nowadays. They will also be aware of what the normal standard is for the data within other clubs. So if there was a fitness problem why would they have kept Junior Mendes on? Why would the board not act? 

Late goals were more to do with mentality in my opinion - a problem it has to be said was constant throughout his time as manager here. 

I’m sure if there is a problem with fitness the new manager will act with Junior Mendes.

As for losing the games late it could be physical fitness is impacting mental awareness or vice versa

I think physical fitness plays a huge part in any team's performance late in games. They drop deeper and deeper because they don't have the energy to press or get the ball forward. It comes across as a negative  fragile mentality, but it's just being physically incapable of anything else. I always remember a masterful display from Bannigan late on in a game at McDiarmid before he got injured - he was still chasing everything down and running forward with the ball - makes a huge difference when you have players capable of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fenski said:

I think physical fitness plays a huge part in any team's performance late in games. They drop deeper and deeper because they don't have the energy to press or get the ball forward. It comes across as a negative  fragile mentality, but it's just being physically incapable of anything else. I always remember a masterful display from Bannigan late on in a game at McDiarmid before he got injured - he was still chasing everything down and running forward with the ball - makes a huge difference when you have players capable of that.

Don't disagree tho' I think most examples of dropping deep late on I've witnessed have had little to do with the side in question's lack of fitness.  But yes, if you're dead on your feet you're less likely to be able to push forward. Spot on re Banzo's contribution in yon game.

5 hours ago, fenski said:

Although I do believe basic analysis of team performance might lead to the conclusion that there is a general issue with fitness, given how often the team start brightly then fade out the game in the latter part of first and second half.

That's not the same as individual assessment of players and associated training plans - I would imagine that would require more time and interaction with players on the training ground and in the gym.

It doesn't say the training plans are tailored to the individual, although it's written in a way that makes you think it might be.

5 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

I'm not sure that would be a good idea. Not just from a personal data perspective, but if the club shares the data and then that prospective manager gets a gig at a rival, it's a pretty big mistake.

Seems that GC had to do a presentation of some sort - not unheard of for a senior management position - so perhaps as some have said data on players fitness levels was shared by the club with solely the shortlisted candidates on a strictly confidential basis and it was a sealed envelope type task he had a few days to prepare for.  Sounds like standard practice TBH 

If fitness is an issue then we’re unlikely to see any benefit from a new regime for a few weeks.If anything performances are likely to drop off until the changes take effect .Only going by my own experiences of increased training routines.Used to be knackered for a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, cyprusjag said:

If fitness is an issue then we’re unlikely to see any benefit from a new regime for a few weeks.If anything performances are likely to drop off until the changes take effect .Only going by my own experiences of increased training routines.Used to be knackered for a couple of weeks.

Potentially we might not see a big improvement until he can bring in his own players so I hope he’s cut some flack

I don't really see general squad fitness as being the reason we are struggling. You would question that if we were losing goals towards the end of games or the end of the first half however we are losing goals early which to my mind more talks to organisation and individual mistakes being the defensive problem.

There are a couple of players who are returning from injury or a long layoff and need help with fitness such as Bannigan, Brice, Quitongo and Coullibally but I think Archie's fitness coaching would have got them to the right level so not something we're going to see a great improvement in

I'm not a Spitall fan and think he shouldn't be a starter but he is someone who could benefit from a different approach to his fitness. To my mind he needs some sprint coaching to feel more confident going past a player as well as some upper body strength to help in the tackle. He doesn't appear to have sufficient fitness to contribute enough over a full 90 minutes.

Caldwell's priority needs to be on working on the defensive system to make us harder to beat and restore confidence even if that means grinding out a few 0-0's