Gary Caldwell confirmation

TartanC4

16 minutes ago, laukat said:

I'm not a Spitall fan and think he shouldn't be a starter but he is someone who could benefit from a different approach to his fitness. To my mind he needs some sprint coaching to feel more confident going past a player as well as some upper body strength to help in the tackle. He doesn't appear to have sufficient fitness to contribute enough over a full 90 minutes.

Perhaps a work in progress. Spittal is noticeably faster this season than he was this time last year.  I agree tho' he has got a good bit to go.

A good, sensible choice of manager, in my opinion; certainly given our options.

So, welcome to Firhill, Gary and Brian.

GC always gave 100% when playing for Scotland and formed an effective, if not spectacular, partnership with his Celtic colleague, McManus. 

I have a good feeling about this appointment, and certainly won't view it negatively if we don't achieve a top 3 or even 4 finish. There will be bags of learning to be had for the new boss; he's young, and might well take a year or more for the best of him to come out. I'll settle for 5th or, hopefully,  better this term, and will definitely be expecting a serious push for promotion next term. 

Gary Caldwell's Red'n'Yella Army. 

Edited by Blackpool Jags
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 7:30 PM, Weebaw1 said:

Hopefully a breath of fresh air.

I hope he attended our recent matches where he would have seen some appalling performances and loads of dead wood.  

We should not expect to be in contention this year considering the garbage that Archie left. But there is some talent there that never gets a game and if he can fire Chris and Kris we can stay up and push on for promotion next year.

Wee baw and sabbath, you both mention deadwood. Some names please? As with most on here i've been bery disappointed with individual performances and believe many can do better. But deadwood, not convinced so would be interested to read what players you are referring to.

Auld jag, myself and others have mentioned many times over the past few seasons that collective fitness was an issue. Last 20 minutes in every game last season we fell away and games and/or points were lost. For me the deawood at the club is the coaching staff, the sprint and stamina and diet people havr all failed in past gew seasons and to have allowed that to go on for so long was archie's worst failing, imho.

So, if the new team manage to address stamina and fitness allied with instilling confidence and belief, this could yet turn into an excitingvl season. I would've been delighted if neilson or mccall had been captured but this could be an inspired appointment and i'm very excited by it, more exvited than iwould have been had one of that two got it.  Looking forward to Alloa game, mon jags get intaem. All the beat to gary and brian welcome on board thr scaryhill express. We've a great future ahead what with financial security and new training complex

Edited by Guest

Elliott, Ntembwe are two that would wash up somewhere, just so happens to be the shores of firhill.

I dont think other than that we have a bad squad. I just dont think were getting the best out of the likes of Spittal, Storey etc and we barely give players like quitongo and Fitzpatrick a game when they have shown more in their cameo appearances than we have seen in quite some time

Edited by MonehJags

Chesterfield fans are surprised by our appointment.

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=63958&st=0

They also suggest Thistle had to drop the following bit from the announcement  after being advised of the facts from Chesterfield

"Caldwell, 36, had a successful playing career and was capped 55 times for Scotland before moving in to management. His first role was at Wigan, where he guided them to the League One title and promotion to the Championship at the first time of asking. His time at Wigan was followed by a short spell at Chesterfield where, having been appointed half way through the season, he was not given the resources he had been promised to stop the club being relegated"

If true does it not set off some alarm bells? Did we not ask for references from Chesterfield and Wigan?

32 minutes ago, laukat said:

They also suggest Thistle had to drop the following bit from the announcement  after being advised of the facts from Chesterfield

"Caldwell, 36, had a successful playing career and was capped 55 times for Scotland before moving in to management. His first role was at Wigan, where he guided them to the League One title and promotion to the Championship at the first time of asking. His time at Wigan was followed by a short spell at Chesterfield where, having been appointed half way through the season, he was not given the resources he had been promised to stop the club being relegated"

If true does it not set off some alarm bells? Did we not ask for references from Chesterfield and Wigan?

Yeah it's not great reading, but I honestly can't think of too many managers who have taken success with them from club to club.

I think it depends so much on circumstances, personalities, timing, luck. So as I've said before, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen how he does at Partick Thistle. 

28 minutes ago, laukat said:

Hardly  a top class endorsement is it? I was fairly optimistic until I read this piece. 

I appreciate how young he is ( even younger than Archie) and hope this enables him to learn and improve.  I also hope that we haven't signed someone whose 'found-out-ability' increases as the number of teams he manages, increases, a la Owen Coyle.

Onwards - and I very much hope - Upwards

The worrying bit isn't the Chesterfield's fans opinion of Caldwell's managerial skills as we've seen often same person different club can lead to different results. However what is worrying is we published a statement on our website and then had to retract a comment from our new manager because it was objected to be Chesterfield.

I do a lot of hiring at my work and I wouldn't dream of offering someone a post without getting a reference that explained why the left/wanted to leave their previous employment. I've seen enough interviews to know that people can present very well with blinding powerpoint presentations at interviews but nothing tells more about an individual than what the people who actually worked with them tell you.

Either we didn't know the statement to be false because we didn't check with Chesterfield prior to appointing or we didn't realise what Caldwell said and posted it verbatim on the website without checking. Both suggest a lack of rigour on how the club is being run.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, laukat said:

I do a lot of hiring at my work and I wouldn't dream of offering someone a post without getting a reference that explained why the left/wanted to leave their previous employment. I've seen enough interviews to know that people can present very well with blinding powerpoint presentations at interviews but nothing tells more about an individual than what the people who actually worked with them tell you.

Likewise I paid much heed to references when I interviewed applicants.  I can't tho' recall a time in my industry when the majority of applicants will have been routinely sacked from previous employment. Goodwin aside I reckon everybody mentioned as possible Jags managers will have been sacked at least once, most twice or more.

I did think that our club's comment they removed shouldn't ever have been posted as it was rather a subjective matter. 

Some people on here took the view that Archibald should be kept on indefinitely because of past successes he had since becoming manager. I always took the view that this didn't matter and it was only how he was doing now that mattered.

I will judge Caldwell the same way.  I don't care what has gone before. I will judge him on the results and performances that he produces over the coming months. 

Edited by Legs Like A Spider
  • Like 3

In the grand scheme of all things football who cares about the sensitivities of Chesterfield. We should be ignoring their posturing and concentrate on our here and now. I doubt anyone outside Thistle and Chesterfield give a monkeys. Luakat and LIB clearly have experience of hiring and firing so if they think it was an unwise comment then i defer to their wisdom. Otherwise p1ss off Chesterfield

Edited by Guest

To reduce scrutiny of Gary Caldwells 10% win record at Chesterfield, the club took the unprecedented step of committing to print the reasons for it which were all the Chesterfields boards fault rather than our new managers. It looked an ill judged paragraph quite unlike any I have ever seen before, especially as the source could only be GC and it was presumably unverified by anyone at Chesterfield.

Chesterfield have now made the club aware of some facts that contradict that view. And Thistle have responded by removing the paragraph.

A totally needless debacle entirely of the clubs own making. I, for one, only care about the future of GC.

Edited by jaf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jaf said:

To reduce scrutiny of Gary Caldwells 10% win record at Chesterfield, the club took the unprecedented step of committing to print the reasons for it which were all the Chesterfields boards fault rather than our new managers. It looked an ill judged paragraph quite unlike any I have ever seen before, especially as the source could only be GC and it was presumably unverified by anyone at Chesterfield.

Chesterfield have now made the club aware of some facts that contradict that view. And Thistle have responded by removing the paragraph.

A totally needless debacle entirely of the clubs own making. I, for one, only care about the future of GC.

I really hope GC is successful and I was one that was critical of Archie certainly over the last 18 months but the Club didn’t have to say anything at all regarding GC’s previous tenures , all they are doing is creating doubts and uncertainty before his remit has started. It’s a huge job to rebuild the Club from the Academy to the First Team , the Academy especially should be run as a pathway to the First Team and there should be a more professional outlook there.

Hope it all works out for him