Ex Thistle managers...........

cyprusjag

8 minutes ago, cyprusjag said:

Now the new manager has been appointed I was trying to think of any ex Thistle managers who went onto better things after they left Thistle.

Can’t think of any but surely there must be  at least one or are we a graveyard for managers?

Hope Archie bucks the trend.

Wee Bertie did do well initially at Hibs.

Edited by Garscube Road End

This is actually a good question and I'm really struggling to come up with an answer. I'm sure Bertie Auld would have been getting paid a lot more at Hibs than he was at Firhill but don't think he lasted there too long. Better things for a short while maybe but wouldn't describe it as a success.

Had a fair few disasters over last four decades. Johnstone, Clark, Bryce and Collins all had nightmares and none lasted a season. Clark the only one that managed at a reasonable level after leaving.

Depends on what you mean by left Thistle- Lambie left more then once but his stock always remained high.

If (and it's a big if at this stage granted) Ayr were to get promoted, I would say McCall. Even if they don't, I'm sure others may be looking- his career looks to be in a decent place now.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

I'm sure someone mentioned on here it was DP when he died.

I'm fairly sure it was Sean Fallon but I don't think anyone would describe Davie's post Jags career as being unsuccessful.

Anyway this is a ridiculous question from Cyprus Jag. Surely managing Partick Thistle Football Club must be the pinnacle of anyone who's had that honour's career! :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm fairly sure it was Sean Fallon but I don't think anyone would describe Davie's post Jags career as being unsuccessful.

Anyway this is a ridiculous question from Cyprus Jag. Surely managing Partick Thistle Football Club must be the pinnacle of anyone who's had that honour's career! :D

you're spot on, t'was sean...

I knew I'd seen this somewhere.  It's taken from the BBC Sport Scotland obituary.  The quotes are from Pat Stanton.

Those qualities led Stein to recruit McParland as his assistant on the training ground in 1976 as the future Scotland manager took a more hands-off approach while recovering from a serious car crash.

"Obviously, with a figure like Jock Stein there, he dominated the whole thing, but the players listened to Davie," he said.

"There were a lot of good players there who took his advice.

"Even though they were playing under one of the best managers of all time, they knew his place and Jock just let him get on with it."

10 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Is that a new kind of square sausage?

That would be correct in Arbroath, Brechin and Forfar. But of course the Montrose folk would insist on Links.

In terms of achievements, I was thinking of football rather than food as Dick Campbell has achieved the epic feat of managing all 4 Angus clubs, with reasonable success it has to be conceded.

But your post has got me thinking more creatively about the Angus Quadrangle. I can just see the Bunnet tucking into a Forfar Bridie and an Arbroath Smokie, leavened with a Brechin Bannock and washed down with a Montrose Malt.