Cliches

Jaggernaut

Where would we be without them? For a start, I'd be more likely to listen to or read a post-match interview if I thought any of these were unlikely to appear:

We lost a goal early doors (= early), and it's a learning curve (= we got beat again). They wanted it more (= were better than us), and we need to learn from that (= it's about time we started to win). Next Saturday at the Kentucky Fried Financial Energy Powerhouse Stadium (= basically a junior-standard ground with a couple of hundred local supporters) will be tough (= we'll probably lose again). There are no easy games in this league (= we're not confident that we can beat a bunch of part-time teachers, fishermen, and accountants), and X (= a manager sacked many times but still on the merry-go-round) has them well-organized (= they are thugs and we don't know how to handle them). But the atmosphere in the dressing room is good (= we have a laugh, coz nobody really gives a monkey's), and if the fans (= mugs) stick by us we'll soon put a smile back on their faces (= string them along a bit more).

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sivad said:

Derek McInnes trotted out one of the usual clichés after a 0-0 draw with Hearts last season. "It's never easy to come here and get a result". Trouble is, he was speaking after the first ever Scottish league match at Murrayfield Stadium. 

It should also be noted that no matter what you will get a result in every game of football regardless of where its played, whether its a positive one or not !

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

It should also be noted that no matter what you will get a result in every game of football regardless of where its played, whether its a positive one or not !

Yes, but it's a results driven business.

As if virtually all businesses are not dependent on results.

I favourite cliche of late has been "He plays with a smile on his face". Last thing I want to see after a trouncing is one of your players walking off the pitch grinning like an eejit.

What gets me is that no one seems to know whether you're supposed to "leave everything out there on the pitch" or "leave nothing out there on the pitch". The inconsistency in the use of this cliche may be what is wrong with Scottish football, maybe Thistle under Archie. Like, what if the manager tells the players to leave nothing out there on the pitch, and the players think full effort is to leave everything out there on the pitch. This is going to lead to problems.

I think it's important that we sort this one.

3 hours ago, marcia blaine said:

“Yeah, he’s got that in his locker” after a player does something.

Well obviously. He just did it.

Also "he's not that sort of player" after the player has just taken an opponent out with a bad tackle. In a season that has been short on laughs this has to be the best thread so far.

"Great touch for a big man"

"He ploughed a lonely furrow up front"

And as a keen chess player, I always cringe at what is now known in chess circles as "IAGOCOT" ie "it's a game of chess out there". This generally means a dull defensive slow manouvring game of football, whereas games of chess are as likely as football to be  fast, exciting and attacking. No one ever stops by the chessboard and says "It's a game of football out there".

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Also "he's not that sort of player" after the player has just taken an opponent out with a bad tackle. In a season that has been short on laughs this has to be the best thread so far.

This thread's been decent up til now, but I'm concerned that it might lack quality in the final third.