Alloa away

That 1 jags fan

When I heard the line up, it absolutely didn't inspire , same players , same system and ultimately same result . Disappointed we played the same square passing game as Archibald's team with everything in front of Alloa . 

Jim Goodwin and Alloa have obviously been very clever by narrowing the pitch and pushing teams to play through the middle which is their strength with the players they've got and the organisation they have as well.

The players we've got like Doolan , Erskine , Bannigan , Slater , Bell etc are all decent players but for some reason the system we're playing isn't get the best out of them.

Got to say I was disappointed with Gary Caldwell's tactics, especially after half time when it was obvious it wasn't working , should have pushed both full backs further up the park and opened the game up with diagonal passes ,instead we kept on coming inside which suited Alloa and finally at set plays do we really need every single player back to defend , it gives the opposition absolutely nothing to think about , if there was 2 forwards kept up the field they would have to be marked and also give us a chance to get out, unfortunately that was Archies philosophy as well.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Yes. You should.

But it's what keeps you coming back week after week. And that old friend is what makes Thistle different from every other club. And here's to another 55 years of unpredictability for you.

Season before last, top 6, everyone would have thought we'd push on to become a mainstay premier club, possibly win a cup or qualify for europe. I know i did. But instead we hit freefall, go down by a goal ffs and find ourselves in a championship relegation battle.

Oh to be a jags fan.......

I don’t really understand this relegated by a goal. Didn’t Hamilton have a better goal difference of 9 goals ?

12 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t really understand this relegated by a goal. Didn’t Hamilton have a better goal difference of 9 goals ?

Goal v Dross or Motherwell at home after the split would have given us the required point.

As would a goal at NDP last October, or not losing last minute goals to Hamilton and Dundee in February......................

33 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

When I heard the line up, it absolutely didn't inspire , same players , same system and ultimately same result . Disappointed we played the same square passing game as Archibald's team with everything in front of Alloa . 

Jim Goodwin and Alloa have obviously been very clever by narrowing the pitch and pushing teams to play through the middle which is their strength with the players they've got and the organisation they have as well.

The players we've got like Doolan , Erskine , Bannigan , Slater , Bell etc are all decent players but for some reason the system we're playing isn't get the best out of them.

Got to say I was disappointed with Gary Caldwell's tactics, especially after half time when it was obvious it wasn't working , should have pushed both full backs further up the park and opened the game up with diagonal passes ,instead we kept on coming inside which suited Alloa and finally at set plays do we really need every single player back to defend , it gives the opposition absolutely nothing to think about , if there was 2 forwards kept up the field they would have to be marked and also give us a chance to get out, unfortunately that was Archies philosophy as well.

Got to agree with this. Why play pretty much the same team and  system that got us into this mess?

I had a bad feeling at 2.45 today when I saw the lineup   and the massive Jags support  who made the effort to get to the game I just new that we were not going to take anything from it....      If thats the performance and commitment you get from a part time club I think we should give it a try....     Best of luck Gary but I think you have bitten off more  than you can chew....... 

3 minutes ago, andyconnor said:

Got to agree with this. Why play pretty much the same team and  system that got us into this mess?

Maybe he wanted to see if his presence would provoke an immediate improvement from the dross that Archie left?

If that was the thinking, then he has his answer now.

He knows he has a reconstruction job on his hands. A big one.

28 minutes ago, andyconnor said:

Probably cause the skill level and players available is so so so basic not much can be done with it.

I would've thought the starting 11 would've tried to make a name for themselves and bust a gut, nae try at least under the new boss but it wasn't to be.

Not a single football brain on that team today.

Priority is now survival and we're only a 1/4 of the way in the season.

Hopefully a clear out in January.

Some of the opinions in the stand today were ridiculous, some expecting massive changes in the space if a week.

Spoke to a couple of alloa fans after the game they said they narrow the pitch in the championship then back to normal size in league 1.

Edited by Bryza

All season, even after some of the absolute garbage I've watched, I've always believed it would come good and we would click into gear(and granted it might still do) but after today's result the realisation that we are in a bad way has hit me like a sledgehammer. The last few weeks I've read various posts on here about us being in the relegation mix and I thought these comments were a bit outlandish but now I fully expect a long hard season. I genuinely don't know where our next win is coming from. 

The missing football brain was the manager’s, we play a team that hasn’t won a game and on AstroTurf even amateurs know how to play on it, as is shown by them narrowing the park. You punt the ball forward to a target man how knocks it back or falls down for a foul, which just happened to led to their goal. You don’t try to play wingers or overlapping fullbacks because it is just too tight. You run at them right through the middle or dink the ball over the defence and try and turn their defenders. What annoys me is l can see this but the so called professionals can’t. Sorry but not a great start Gary

1 minute ago, Odd Fellows said:

The missing football brain was the manager’s, we play a team that hasn’t won a game and on AstroTurf even amateurs know how to play on it, as is shown by them narrowing the park. You punt the ball forward to a target man how knocks it back or falls down for a foul, which just happened to led to their goal. You don’t try to play wingers or overlapping fullbacks because it is just too tight. You run at them right through the middle or dink the ball over the defence and try and turn their defenders. What annoys me is l can see this but the so called professionals can’t. Sorry but not a great start Gary

Genuine question - Would today have been the first time GC has taken an official fixture on an artificial pitch as a manager?

22 minutes ago, lewcal said:

All season, even after some of the absolute garbage I've watched, I've always believed it would come good and we would click into gear(and granted it might still do) but after today's result the realisation that we are in a bad way has hit me like a sledgehammer. The last few weeks I've read various posts on here about us being in the relegation mix and I thought these comments were a bit outlandish but now I fully expect a long hard season. I genuinely don't know where our next win is coming from. 

I was where you are tonight after the dundee utd game. Horrid cold blood in the veins stuff.

Perhaps our newanager is feeling the same. But he did his homework before the interview so i expect it is no surprise. Maybe he has been promised funds

9 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I was where you are tonight after the dundee utd game. Horrid cold blood in the veins stuff.

Perhaps our newanager is feeling the same. But he did his homework before the interview so i expect it is no surprise. Maybe he has been promised funds

I am sure I have read there will be money for Caldwell to spend in the January window. We will need to get rid of a few as well though. Wasn't  at the game today, but when I seen the team I was surprised like others there was not more changes made. Hopefully it was just Caldwell giving some players a final  chance to see if they would do better with him in charge. Going by what has been said by those at the game I would expect a number of changes next week.

• Like 1

I think the bigger problem for Caldwell is that he has to change the playing style to make us more direct and have some variation in play (and yes that will mean some long balls) . We are trying to play the style of football that got us promoted 6 years ago when we have neither the players to do it or the confidence in the team to carry it out.

We also miss one of the key lessons of the 2012/13 season. You need an aggressive striker (Steven Craig) able to work the back line and unsettle their central defence to allow your better players room to play. Quitongo did that for the 30 minutes he was on the park last week and I fully expected him to start this week instead of which we gave him 14 minutes. If you're Quitongo how do you rationalise that?

Only bright spot for me today was that Souleymane Coulibaly looked pretty useful when he came on and I'm sure he'll score goals with a few more games under his belt.

At present ,I think Gary has to play some of the younger players in our squad.

McCarthy,  Mutombo,  Fitzpatrick & Quitongo should all be given a decent run in the team to see what they can do. 

I don't know if it's a mental block or frustration or they're just jaded, but some of older hands need a break until we get out of this losing groove away from home that we find ourselves in.  

Miles Storey could do with some  one-on-one  coaching to get the best out of him. He has pace in spades and finds himself in great positions, but he needs to learn how to compose himself when he plays his final pass or shoots at goal.

I'd settle for just getting in to the top four this season which is not impossible on what I saw today.  Just needs Gary Caldwell to piece together the Thistle jigsaw he's inherited, but there may be more than a few pieces missing at the moment.

1 hour ago, Odd Fellows said:

What target man do we have in the squad?

14 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

What target man do we have in the squad?

You are correct in that we don't have a 6ft plus striker in the squad but Quitongo showed against Dundee United that he can play with his back to goal and his upper body strength allows him to get the better of much taller defenders. 

35 minutes ago, laukat said:

I think the bigger problem for Caldwell is that he has to change the playing style to make us more direct and have some variation in play (and yes that will mean some long balls) . We are trying to play the style of football that got us promoted 6 years ago when we have neither the players to do it or the confidence in the team to carry it out.

We also miss one of the key lessons of the 2012/13 season. You need an aggressive striker (Steven Craig) able to work the back line and unsettle their central defence to allow your better players room to play. Quitongo did that for the 30 minutes he was on the park last week and I fully expected him to start this week instead of which we gave him 14 minutes. If you're Quitongo how do you rationalise that?

I don’t think quitongo would have been risked on the Astro given he is just back from injury but on grass next week he needs to start ahead of Doolan