Alloa away

That 1 jags fan

12 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Season before last, top 6, everyone would have thought we'd push on to become a mainstay premier club, possibly win a cup or qualify for europe. I know i did. But instead we hit freefall, go down by a goal ffs and find ourselves in a championship relegation battle.

Everyone? Only the delusional. 

8 hours ago, jaf said:

Cammy bell made an excellent save to stop them going 2-0 up. 

I should have added that I was referring to the Thistle stats. 21 shots at goal, if only it was that exciting.

It was a good save by Bell to stop it going 2-0

Much is made of the size of the pitch, and rightly so. Decreasing the size of the pitch to make it difficult to play football is ludicrous. It's anti-football. The SPFL should make Alloa use the available space or charge them with bringing the game into disrepute. I'm making a general point and not desperately looking for excuses for yesterday. It doesn't seem to have benefited the home team.

They hadn't won at home this season until Partick Thistle* rode into town.

* a registered charity

Edited by BowenBoys

9 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Much is made of the size of the pitch, and rightly so. Decreasing the size of the pitch to make it difficult to play football is ludicrous. It's anti-football. The SPFL should make Alloa use the available space or charge them with bringing the game into disrepute. I'm making a general point and not desperately looking for excuses for yesterday. It doesn't seem to have benefited the home team.

* a registered charity

I’ve not got a problem how Alloa have set themselves up and actually it mirrors Jim Goodwin’s mindset he had as a player by taking it to the limit to try and get a result .

Last year in the SPFL , anytime we got a bad result all we got on this forum was a comparison of budgets ( Hearts etc ) to justify the score line

Yesterday Alloa and Jim Goodwin blew that argument out the water , they have a fraction of our budget but got the result through hard work, organisation and motivation, hopefully Gary Caldwell will learn at this level a lot of results are gained by motivation of players and not necessarily skill levels.

Respect to Alloa for their result yesterday, I think they were worthy of their win against us 

27 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

* a registered charity

Edited by jlsarmy

A few comments from yesterdays game:

1. Great Thistle support (does anyone know how many ?) but unusually quiet, no singing, no great ovation for the new manager !!!!

2. Cammy Bell did make one great save, but yet again lets a goal in on his near side, needs dropped get Sneddon in.

3. Kris Doolan has been a passenger for 18 months, sub at best next week.

4. Storey needs a good session with a forwards coach, do we have one ? great pace but final ball needs improvement.

5. Bannigan played side passages all game but came alive last 10 minutes with penetrating runs and enthusiasm, was that tactics.   

6. Bryce showed up well today, bit awkward at times but big improvement on what we have seen from him so far.

7. Keown and Mc Ginty partnership improving.

8. Christie well Christie was Christie showed plenty of energy, Maybe Garry will find hie real position.

Overall, lots of work to be done. 

It would be wrong to judge Caldwell on one game but we were told he got the job for doing his homework on the players. Yesterday did not back that up.

The starting 11 was an unpleasant surprise.

Caldwell is in the job because he is expected to make the changes that Archibald was unwilling to do. Appreciate its tough on some likeable guys but Elliot is not cutting it at right back, Doolan is struggling, Storey hasn’t got it and Spittal and Erskine aren’t providing enough. There is more talent on the bench that there is in the team playing!!

Don’t know what the available budget is but Caldwell has plenty time before the January window to identify a good attacking right back who can cross a ball. Even a loan deal would do.

Our new manager needs to go and do some extra homework this week and come back with some different answers next week. Ayr are a far better team than Alloa.

26 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't think we can wait until January to find a right back. Beyond the fact that Elliot is a real weakness in that area what happens if he gets injured?

Surely there must be an unsigned right back or someone we could get in on a loan now?

Paul Caddis doesn't have a club at the moment. I'd be doing everything possible to get a player like that in, even short term.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

Everyone? Only the delusional. 

Really Charlie?

Delusional?

Successful top 6 finish after staying in the top league seaaon after season. Sigmificant progress each seaaon after promotion, and you didn't think we could push on and become a club similar to st johnstone, who have punched above their weight. 

I'm not saying we should have i was just saying we could have and i don't think i was delusional given our circumstances at the time. Hopeful yes, delusional, nope.

13 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Paul Caddis doesn't have a club at the moment. I'd be doing everything possible to get a player like that in, even short term.

If the new manager has done his homework you would like to think he has someone lined up either from England or from one of his contacts in Scotland (e.g. Tony Ralston at Celtc)

2 hours ago, Prince of Partick said:

A few comments from yesterdays game:

1. Great Thistle support (does anyone know how many ?) but unusually quiet, no singing, no great ovation for the new manager !!!!

2. Cammy Bell did make one great save, but yet again lets a goal in on his near side, needs dropped get Sneddon in.

3. Kris Doolan has been a passenger for 18 months, sub at best next week.

4. Storey needs a good session with a forwards coach, do we have one ? great pace but final ball needs improvement.

5. Bannigan played side passages all game but came alive last 10 minutes with penetrating runs and enthusiasm, was that tactics.   

6. Bryce showed up well today, bit awkward at times but big improvement on what we have seen from him so far.

7. Keown and Mc Ginty partnership improving.

8. Christie well Christie was Christie showed plenty of energy, Maybe Garry will find hie real position.

Overall, lots of work to be done. 

Out of likes. No idea how mamy jaggies, would guess 700 maybe more. I put the lack of atmosphere down to the general malaise we've had at the club for the past few years now. We all just seem flat which is simply down to performance on the pitch. I think we all went yesterday hoping against hope that we would see a newly born team freed from the negative side ways passing tactics of the last manager but all we saw was the same old p1ss.

That apart i agree with all you have posted.

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

It would be wrong to judge Caldwell on one game but we were told he got the job for doing his homework on the players. Yesterday did not back that up.

The starting 11 was an unpleasant surprise.

Caldwell is in the job because he is expected to make the changes that Archibald was unwilling to do. Appreciate its tough on some likeable guys but Elliot is not cutting it at right back, Doolan is struggling, Storey hasn’t got it and Spittal and Erskine aren’t providing enough. There is more talent on the bench that there is in the team playing!!

Don’t know what the available budget is but Caldwell has plenty time before the January window to identify a good attacking right back who can cross a ball. Even a loan deal would do.

Our new manager needs to go and do some extra homework this week and come back with some different answers next week. Ayr are a far better team than Alloa.

Spot on

Reading everyone's comments about the game is worrying as it seems to have been the same old Thistle from the last 18 months although we now have a new manager. Our only hope is it 's because Caldwell only had the week to work with the team. I hope/expect to see changes against Ayr. Both in the line up and tactics. If not we are in trouble and so is our new manager.

its difficult to see what Caldwell can change in defence. We have so few options that the back four and goalkeeper pick themselves unless you either go 3 at the back as per Dunfermline away or sign someone between now and saturday.

Its pretty much the same in midfield. Bannigan and Slater pick themselves. So if you go 4-3-3 arguably you have to play McCarthy or Ntambwe to provide defensive cover. if its 4-4-2 then its 2 from Spittal, Erskine and Fitzpatrick.

Up front is where he does have choice. If its 4-4-2 then I would like to see Quitongo and Coulibally start. However my preference at home would be to go 4-3-3 and start the following

Bell

Elliot-Keown-McGinty-Penrice

McCarthy-Slater-Bannigan

Mutombo-Quitongo-Coulibally

We would be fairly open but we know we can't defend so we really need to find a formation that scores at least 2 goals per game

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, laukat said:

its difficult to see what Caldwell can change in defence. We have so few options that the back four and goalkeeper pick themselves unless you either go 3 at the back as per Dunfermline away or sign someone between now and saturday.

Its pretty much the same in midfield. Bannigan and Slater pick themselves. So if you go 4-3-3 arguably you have to play McCarthy or Ntambwe to provide defensive cover. if its 4-4-2 then its 2 from Spittal, Erskine and Fitzpatrick.

Up front is where he does have choice. If its 4-4-2 then I would like to see Quitongo and Coulibally start. However my preference at home would be to go 4-3-3 and start the following

Bell

Elliot-Keown-McGinty-Penrice

McCarthy-Slater-Bannigan

Mutombo-Quitongo-Coulibally

We would be fairly open but we know we can't defend so we really need to find a formation that scores at least 2 goals per game

Exactly what my team would be. 

2 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

How can Caldwell say it was a good performance baffling.

If he said that that’s extremely worrying , hopefully he’s not equating that to the pointless square passes in the midfield with no end product , maybe he’s been listening to Archie’s interviews