Alloa away

That 1 jags fan

1 hour ago, laukat said:

its difficult to see what Caldwell can change in defence. We have so few options that the back four and goalkeeper pick themselves unless you either go 3 at the back as per Dunfermline away or sign someone between now and saturday.

Its pretty much the same in midfield. Bannigan and Slater pick themselves. So if you go 4-3-3 arguably you have to play McCarthy or Ntambwe to provide defensive cover. if its 4-4-2 then its 2 from Spittal, Erskine and Fitzpatrick.

Up front is where he does have choice. If its 4-4-2 then I would like to see Quitongo and Coulibally start. However my preference at home would be to go 4-3-3 and start the following

Bell

Elliot-Keown-McGinty-Penrice

McCarthy-Slater-Bannigan

Mutombo-Quitongo-Coulibally

We would be fairly open but we know we can't defend so we really need to find a formation that scores at least 2 goals per game

I’ve been thinking for a few weeks that we need to go 3 at the back. Christie is so short of form that in reality we have no right back. We do have 2 central defenders who are sitting on their arses. Pen rice would make a good left wingback and maybe Spittal on the right.

It hurts me to say it, but the other change that needs to be made is to drop Erskine and Doolan. It has been a while since either was able to play for 90 minutes, so essentially that is 2 subs used before the game has started. I hope they can regain their previous fitness but I have my doubts and we may be looking at them as impact players.

On emergency loans I think you need to justify to the league that it is a genuine emergency

I understand all the negative comments about yesterday's game and I was hardly too excited about it myself. However, I do not think that we should rush to instant judgment on Caldwell's tactics during the game and his post-match press conference. 

For him to jump in and immediately criticise all the players and their performances is perhaps not the best way to start in a new post. Considered comments a few games in will carry greater weight. For all sorts of reasons already documented above, this was probably the most difficult game into which to inject fresh and effective new tactics. 

The passing seemed zippier and on another day (and on another pitch with room to breathe) might have sprung players through, either in the centre or down the wings. What they would have done, once through, is perhaps a different question! So maybe there is an intended  change of approach from excessive sideways play and we will see that worked through in the next few weeks.

I agree with comments made above regarding a 4-3-3 formation with McCarthy as a more forward thinking player in place of Ntambwe, and with Mutombo and Coulibaly flanking Quitongo (assuming everyone is fully fit to play) up front. Shooting lessons for everybody with the focus on keeping the ball down would also be beneficial. Stephen O'Donnell at Kilmarnock seems to have perfected the art of the daisy cutter which can work its way into the corner of the net, and even if initially off target or saved or deflected can end up in a dangerous area with opportunities to score on the follow up. A ballooned shot never produces a second chance unless it hits a passing bird or aeroplane.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I understand all the negative comments about yesterday's game and I was hardly too excited about it myself. However, I do not think that we should rush to instant judgment on Caldwell's tactics during the game and his post-match press conference. 

For him to jump in and immediately criticise all the players and their performances is perhaps not the best way to start in a new post. Considered comments a few games in will carry greater weight. For all sorts of reasons already documented above, this was probably the most difficult game into which to inject fresh and effective new tactics. 

The passing seemed zippier and on another day (and on another pitch with room to breathe) might have sprung players through, either in the centre or down the wings. What they would have done, once through, is perhaps a different question! So maybe there is an intended  change of approach from excessive sideways play and we will see that worked through in the next few weeks.

I agree with comments made above regarding a 4-3-3 formation with McCarthy as a more forward thinking player in place of Ntambwe, and with Mutombo and Coulibaly flanking Quitongo (assuming everyone is fully fit to play) up front. Shooting lessons for everybody with the focus on keeping the ball down would also be beneficial. Stephen O'Donnell at Kilmarnock seems to have perfected the art of the daisy cutter which can work its way into the corner of the net, and even if initially off target or saved or deflected can end up in a dangerous area with opportunities to score on the follow up. A ballooned shot never produces a second chance unless it hits a passing bird or aeroplane.

Good point I’m pretty sure Alex Rae at St Mirren and terry butcher at Hibs as well as John Hughes at Raith came in and the first thing they did was rubbish the players- the players then appeared to play deliberately even worse than they had been doing to get these guys the sack

to be honest I’m not even sure Archie would have played Coulliaby yesterday- would have probably been another couple of weeks to get him fitter yet Caldwell did and it nearly paid off.

It might be a tactic as a few suggest - although I am sure another form of words could have been found that struck a balance without crucifying the players but showing he understands the challenges ahead. 

Of course, perhaps it wasn’t a tactic to ensure he does not alienate the players. Perhaps he believes that we played well!! 

Was very concerned by that yesterday, more of the same old. Same old team, same old game plan,  same post match drivel from the manager.  A peahearted team if ever I seen one.

Its laughable that Archie said pre-season we would be onto some quality loans, Alloa have much better loan players than us, how pathetic is that! Archie couldn't pick his nose let alone a good player.

Archie has left us in as bad, if not worse a state than than DC. At least the bunnet signed Mark Roberts. 

Edited by avie-man

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’ve been thinking for a few weeks that we need to go 3 at the back. Christie is so short of form that in reality we have no right back.

We played three at the back at Dunfermline. We were never going to score that night. Irony being it was an Elliott error back defending that gifted Pars their goal. For anything more than just being defensive we really need the central of the back three to be able to break forward now and again the way Shaggy did and Barton briefly to a lesser extent. Playing the likes of Scobbie there is just inviting the opposition to push forward.

7 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Much is made of the size of the pitch, and rightly so. Decreasing the size of the pitch to make it difficult to play football is ludicrous. It's anti-football. The SPFL should make Alloa use the available space or charge them with bringing the game into disrepute. I'm making a general point and not desperately looking for excuses for yesterday. It doesn't seem to have benefited the home team.

They hadn't won at home this season until Partick Thistle* rode into town.

* a registered charity

Is this a windup? Are you seriously suggesting Alloa should face a charge of bringing the game into disrepute for the way they choose to set their pitch up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaf said:

It might be a tactic as a few suggest - although I am sure another form of words could have been found that struck a balance without crucifying the players but showing he understands the challenges ahead. 

Of course, perhaps it wasn’t a tactic to ensure he does not alienate the players. Perhaps he believes that we played well!! 

Got to agree with you , been better for him to say “ thought we had spells in the game when we were ok but we really should be beating Alloa and there is a lot of work to be done “

First thing he’s got to understand the fans aren’t stupid , we’ve been listening to this nonsense for the best part of two years from Archibald 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elevenone said:

The defence is what it is at least until Jan and we are stuck with it, we will concede so therefore have to score more and imo have the players to do  so its a matter of how we set up to do so.  Sideways passing is not that way however.

The only position we are stuck with is Elliot. We have options, albeit untested, in the other 3 defensive positions.

3 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Is this a windup? Are you seriously suggesting Alloa should face a charge of bringing the game into disrepute for the way they choose to set their pitch up?

Looking at what Alloa fans are saying on pie and bovril, doesn't seem as though they like the naroow pitch either.

From a team that 2 years ago could have realistically pushed Hearts for a shot at European football, to a club that has lost to a bunch of part-timers is a bloody disgrace. Lord knows how it has happened, but I don't think I have seen a Thistle squad quite like this. Absolute losers every one of them. 

2 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

From a team that 2 years ago could have realistically pushed Hearts for a shot at European football, to a club that has lost to a bunch of part-timers is a bloody disgrace. Lord knows how it has happened, but I don't think I have seen a Thistle squad quite like this. Absolute losers every one of them. 

Seen plenty of squads like this, the difference for me now is that it's the hope that gets you!

As in, I still have hope that this squad could be half decent.

22 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Much is made of the size of the pitch, and rightly so. Decreasing the size of the pitch to make it difficult to play football is ludicrous. It's anti-football. The SPFL should make Alloa use the available space or charge them with bringing the game into disrepute. I'm making a general point and not desperately looking for excuses for yesterday. It doesn't seem to have benefited the home team.

They hadn't won at home this season until Partick Thistle* rode into town.

* a registered charity

The FIFA laws state that the pitch should be between 90 and 120 m long and between 45 and 90 m wide. If they are then it is a legal pitch

It’s clear that turning round the squad is going to be tougher than a lot of us thought .....it will take any new manager time to assess what he has, what they can do and what he needs.....January will be crucial in at least brining in some players

sadly keeping Archie and letting him re shape the squad has turned out to be a disaster ....first priority now is stability and safety 

On 10/20/2018 at 5:05 PM, Thistleberight said:

Personally, i'd like to take this opperchancity, as the rain pelts down on the car thus mirroring my fragile mood, to apologise to weebaw. This lot are all dead wood and i include erskine and doolan in that. Part feckin time, and they looked fitter and hungrier.

Something rotten going on at our club that might go beyond football management making the players less than happy to be at the club. Sad times

Ha. Accepted.

And agree with your comments.

I missed this game but heard we were better when subs appeared so perhaps some light there.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, jlsarmy said:

Mathias Pogba , Conor Sammon and even Lyle Taylor were all Archie’s preferred forwards at one point , obviously an option to have a more physical presence upfront but that’s not the reason why we don’t score enough goals.

The style of play we’ve adopted is overplaying in the midfield with the emphasis on keeping the ball,not getting the midfield players forward to either get them supporting the forwards or even making runs to get beyond our strike force. When was the last time one of our midfield players got 10 goals for the season ?

Hopefully Caldwell will see that , I still believe we’ve got good players about the Club but the style of play we’re adopting means we aren’t seeing the best of these players, the majority of whom are best attacking Doolan , Erskine , Quitongo, Coulibaye , Fitzpatrick and even Storey with his pace through the middle should be a threat .

Hopefully Caldwell can fix it 

Taylor was a great target man.

2nd only to Somner in my time.

Quitongo terrified United’s donkeys. Unbelievable he didn’t start. 

20 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We played three at the back at Dunfermline. We were never going to score that night. Irony being it was an Elliott error back defending that gifted Pars their goal. For anything more than just being defensive we really need the central of the back three to be able to break forward now and again the way Shaggy did and Barton briefly to a lesser extent. Playing the likes of Scobbie there is just inviting the opposition to push forward.

But not 3-4-3 which I think is the formation that best fits our current strengths based on the assumption that either McCarthy or Ntambwe can provide cover at the back.