Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

I pointed out we've lost our last three league games we've played against Alloa. We've lost three consecutive matches under three different managers. Albeit one was a cup game but we've lost twice already to Ayr. A hat-trick of defeats to them in just under three months will probably be another first.

We're smashing all sorts of records these days. Okay, unwanted records but.......

I am compelled to miss the game next Saturday by some obligations elsewhere. (Arbroath)

Having endured so much terrible football lately, I have a feeling my non-attendance will transform this into a thriller.

As others have said, we need to understand our weaknesses, and strengths, and if we do so, we could be an attacking force to be reckoned with -  I am going for 4-3 Thistle!

This is my first game since we pathetically crumbled away to Motherwell. It's taken me this long to drag myself back, and yes I booked my trip before Alloa on the strength of a new manager. I can understand the team he played on Saturday. Whilst he can look at videos to see players skill levels, he needs time to understand their character. The mindset of players and the ethos the new manager creates can often be more important than their ability. I believe there are occasions when the sum is greater than the parts. Lets hope this is one of those occasions.

PS  The last time I watched Ayr at Firhill we got relegated.

• Sad 1

It's tough for the new guy, he's picked same team and tactucs in the first game so he can see atrengths and weaknesses? If it's the same line up and same tactics on satutday we'll stroll out with a 1-3 defeat. If there are changes in personell and he goes with two up front i'm going 3-2 to us. 

As with allyo optimism reigns  supreme

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

It's tough for the new guy, he's picked same team and tactucs in the first game so he can see atrengths and weaknesses? If it's the same line up and same tactics on satutday we'll stroll out with a 1-3 defeat. If there are changes in personell and he goes with two up front i'm going 3-2 to us. 

As with allyo optimism reigns  supreme

Agree with this. Caldwell has now seen us play and he will have another weeks training under his belt. I expect there to be some changes. I hate to say it but I think Doolan and Erskine need to be benched also think Storey should be at best on the bench.

3 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Get Storer in the team

Sorry but apart from the wonder goal against Morton I've seen nothing to suggest he should be in the team. He looks like he would cause an argument in a phone box.

For me he's one of the ones that should be let go to free up wages for a January signing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Archibald legacy is not going to be a quick fix. Must stabilise this team first.... 0-0 will do. Number 37 is no better than stopping some random person on the street giving him a few training games and then let him loose on the pitch to create mayhem...........Spidey senses tingling.   

On 10/22/2018 at 9:01 PM, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Getting in aboot them like a dug eating beetroot!

Agree we need to get in aboot them- all over the pitch.

One of our problems is we are not very good at crossing the ball in from wide areas ( with the exception of James Penrice).

Elliott just cannot do it- either hits the first man over over-hits it.

Spittal has a decent delivery but crosses from too deep as he does not have the speed to take a man on and get to the bye-line.

Other problem is we have no height up front so even on the odd occasion a good aerial  cross is put in , it is unlikely anyone will get on to it  . Which is why we should be concentrating on low hard crosses into the box/ cut backs for midfielders running on to.

4 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Agree we need to get in aboot them- all over the pitch.

One of our problems is we are not very good at crossing the ball in from wide areas ( with the exception of James Penrice).

Elliott just cannot do it- either hits the first man over over-hits it.

Spittal has a decent delivery but crosses from too deep as he does not have the speed to take a man on and get to the bye-line.

Other problem is we have no height up front so even on the odd occasion a good aerial  cross is put in , it is unlikely anyone will get on to it  . Which is why we should be concentrating on low hard crosses into the box/ cut backs for midfielders running on to.

If few in the team can cross and there are no tall strikers, then playing through the centre is the obvious approach - the one studiously avoided for years, resulting in impressive possession stats but woefully low scoring. All that footering about on the wing hasn't done anything more than won slim pickings in the past.

The tactics have to adapt to suit the players, or we might as well not have bothered changing manager.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 1:05 AM, Fearchar said:

Like the last 5 years, eh?

"Hit the byeline and whip it in." After all, it has to come right some decade soon..... :wall:

We have had some of our most successful seasons playing the way we have.

I do think at times we don't mix it up enough but given we have a big pitch at Firhill we have to use it.  

5 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

We have had some of our most successful seasons playing the way we have.

I do think at times we don't mix it up enough but given we have a big pitch at Firhill we have to use it.  

Not in terms of scoring goals: least effective last season (unsurprisingly), 2nd bottom GF the season before and joint bottom in 2015/16. The split confuses the record, but generally taking the ball out to the wings has contributed to low scoring.

I'd say you're right that we don't mix it up enough, but our play has consistently avoided carrying the ball through the centre into the danger area, instead pushing it out to the wings. Cutbacks to midfield runners, similarly, seem to be completely absent. With a relatively small forward (Doolan) and the giant centre-backs typical of Scottish football teams, crosses are unlikely to yield much success, regardless of how wide the playing surface is.

• Thanks 1