Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

18 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Bell

Jeffries      Kewon     Mcginty     Melbourne     

McCarthy Bannigan

Quitongo

Fitzpartick          Coulibaly         Pencrice 

However I don’t think the manager will risk Coulibaly and with 6 of the eleven not starting or even in the squad but imo it’s our best team. Don’t know if Jeffries can play RB but with Elloit’s awful form he can’t do any worse surely.

Jeffries...the invisible man

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Emsca said:

Use the flanks for what?

Why, to get it in to the big tall chaps in the middle who have been banging them away by the dozen for us for the last two seasons!

I had actually hoped that one of the minor positive things that might have come out of last week’s abject defeat would have been a sense of realism.  How anyone could believe we would take 3 off Ayr today is frightening, probably driven by the delusion that all GC had to do was a bit of tinkering, deliver a good pep talk, and we would be up and away.

I’ve never believed this for a minute: on the contrary I think GC has to make a radical clear out of the dross (or the once good stuff that has become dross) and start to completely rebuild the squad. For this he has to be given time: this is one of the most competitive leagues in British football. Given how many points we are adrift at this stage, the idea that we would be ‘up challenging’ by then end of the season is a fantasy. My target for GC would be ‘avoid relegation’ and at least as importantly avoid short termism. If the score remains the same at full time today that would be a step towards showing that GC was beginning to get a grip.

The real danger with the super-optimism of the ‘take 3 off Ayr - sorry make that 4 - and be challenging at the end of the season’ type is that when the (unjustifiable) expectations are not reached, people start calling for the manager’s head. I think we have a long, long way to go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Loved the atmosphere in the North Stand..

I think we played reasonably well.. maybe a bit slow on the ball occasionally and a number of times we passed backwards when a better option was available

erskine was great when he came on

the weather was smashing

Had a lovely pie..

Not gonna get too upset about the result.

Storey did not play well! His only end product was when he was involved in the great move when Spittal knocked it wide. He must be Cristiano Ronaldo in training, because he can neither pick out a teammate or score a goal in a competitive game. 

Thought it was certainly an improved team performance, but toothless up front. No chances being created for Quitongo or Coulibaly and I can't recall the Ayr keeper being tested. The defence looks likely to keep conceding at least 1 goal per game, ergo we have to be scoring at least 2.

Storer played some incisive passes in his short cameo and Coulibaly should prove a handful once match fit. Maybe playing Quitongo in behind Coulibaly or wide right could bring some joy up front in a few games time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Well a long hard season lies ahead I’d take mid safety now 

improvement needed all over the park from the goalkeeper to attack 

lets hope we can do some business in January 

A defence that can't deal with high balls into the box. :shok: A whole new back four is needed.

Signs of a little more recognition that the ball needs to be in the opponents' danger area in order to score.

Completely ignoring game management: in the final one of the 90 minutes, when losing by one goal, moving a goal kick from one side to the other and passing across the defence. :loco:Only topped off by placing a free kick over the wall but also over the crossbar.

Whilst our commitment levels have improved (and need to stay there), their keeper hasn’t had a save to make and so Spittals chance was our only one of the game. With a defence that doesn’t look like it can keep a clean sheet it might be case of trying to keep in touch with the teams immediately above us until January window opens.

As against Alloa,  Gary Caldwell's team selection raised an eyebrow...and I can't say it's worked out well for him so far. It's early days but there was little to be positive about today's performance...already it looks likely to be at best a season when we finish among the also-rans in the Division when it shouldn't be that difficult to  reach a play-off spot - Ayr were pretty ordinary today  but are almost out of sight. It was an even and uninspiring game but there was no danger of us equalising after they scored.

Of the players I like, Banzo had perhaps his poorest game , Penrice was uncertain and Erskine didn't do much when he came on...of the rest, Elliot & Storey had  better games but I actually thought Storey had been subbed in the second half because he completely disappeared.  Quitongo looked completely isolated in the 4-3-3 formation and Mtumbo, Spittal and Storer did not contribute nearly enough. 

There is no sign of a brave new era yet...the only thing on the up at Firhill just now is a sense of apathy.

Really disappointed in Gary Caldwell ‘s first two games , we’ve went from being toothless and ineffective with Archie’s tactics and team lineups to being absolutely the same with Gary Caldwell.

As far as I can recall we’ve had 2 or 3 shots on goal in the last 2 games against the mighty Alloa and Ayr United.

We’ve got a midfield who are all far too similar with no one bursting a gut to join in with the strikers or even getting beyond them , think we found out today Jai Quitongo is never a centre forward and how Aiden Fitzpatrick can’t even get a place on the bench is beyond me , the game needed someone with a bit of invention to try and create something to get us back into the game .

At least we’ve changed the dugouts around !!!

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Really disappointed in Gary Caldwell ‘s first two games , we’ve went from being toothless and ineffective with Archie’s tactics and team lineups to being absolutely the same with Gary Caldwell.

As far as I can recall we’ve had 2 or 3 shots on goal in the last 2 games against the mighty Alloa and Ayr United.

We’ve got a midfield who are all far too similar with no one bursting a gut to join in with the strikers or even getting beyond them , think we found out today Jai Quitongo is never a centre forward and how Aiden Fitzpatrick can’t even get a place on the bench is beyond me , the game needed someone with a bit of invention to try and create something to get us back into the game .

At least we’ve changed the dugouts around !!!

I thought Jack Storer offered something a bit different when he came on. Hit a number of decent defence splitting balls. 

• Like 1