Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

We had a bit more movement a bit more energy but Ayr deserved that win, and with Alloa drawing they’re another point closer to us, we’re in big trouble and the squads a mess. 

Im surprised and alarmed not to see any new manager bounce, players seem like they know we’re down and they’re off, either in January or May.  We can move the dugouts as often as we want to wherever we please but that won’t hide the fact that guys like Storer, Storey & Mutomba are deemed good enough to play for this team, whilst Fitzpatrick and McCarthy aren’t given a chance.

We are serious relegation candidates, any narratives from the board on goal being promotion is pure spin.

This squad of players is not good enough to make top 4, I’m not sure if they’re good enough to avoid bottom 2.

We need a new centre half, that partnership doesn’t work, especially at set plays.

We need a natural right back, although Elliot was ok today he is not a natural right back, if he gets injured or suspended before January were in bigger problems.

We need a midfielder general, Bannigan whilst a decent player isn’t the guy who will rally the team or be the hard man.

We need a winger, Mutomba & Storey are not the answer.

We need a striker, Jai ain’t a striker and Dools is getting older.

Almost the whole outfield team bar 2 players are out of contract in January or May, with exception of Jai, Dools, Erskine & Bannigen (maybe) I wouldn’t keep any of them, maybe Elliot as a utility player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, erty13 said:

Not only was the game awful, it was matched by the line dancing music played a half time.

Who on earth picked it.

I think it should be compulsory for the pre-match formation warm up by the referee and his henchmen to be done in time with the music.  The music could be chosen to fit the occasion, and the tempo varied to improve the spectacle.  The possiblities are endless.  I go to be entertained, and I get precious little of that from the fitba'.

12 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

We had a bit more movement a bit more energy but Ayr deserved that win, and with Alloa drawing they’re another point closer to us, we’re in big trouble and the squads a mess. 

Im surprised and alarmed not to see any new manager bounce, players seem like they know we’re down and they’re off, either in January or May.  We can move the dugouts as often as we want to wherever we please but that won’t hide the fact that guys like Storer, Storey & Mutomba are deemed good enough to play for this team, whilst Fitzpatrick and McCarthy aren’t given a chance.

We are serious relegation candidates, any narratives from the board on goal being promotion is pure spin.

This squad of players is not good enough to make top 4, I’m not sure if they’re good enough to avoid bottom 2.

We need a new centre half, that partnership doesn’t work, especially at set plays.

We need a natural right back, although Elliot was ok today he is not a natural right back, if he gets injured or suspended before January were in bigger problems.

We need a midfielder general, Bannigan whilst a decent player isn’t the guy who will rally the team or be the hard man.

We need a winger, Mutomba & Storey are not the answer.

We need a striker, Jai ain’t a striker and Dools is getting older.

Almost the whole outfield team bar 2 players are out of contract in January or May, with exception of Jai, Dools, Erskine & Bannigen (maybe) I wouldn’t keep any of them, maybe Elliot as a utility player.

Why erskine and Doolan given that they are pretty much a main part of this awful team and neither has done anything this season?

Worrying times. Thought this was going to end scoreless,but as has become the norm we go a goal down and we lose. Thought Spittal was going to take the free kick in the last minute. He scored from a similar position last season. 5 Defeats in a row now and we have scored 1 goal in that time. Didn't agree with those that said we could suffer a double relegation and also that  Archie couldn't build a team but as each week goes past those statements are beginning to look accurate. Did I hear right,thought it was announced that Storey got man of the match,if he did I was at a different game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Worrying times. Thought this was going to end scoreless,but as has become the norm we go a goal down and we lose. Thought Spittal was going to take the free kick in the last minute. He scored from a similar position last season. 5 Defeats in a row now and we have scored 1 goal in that time. Didn't agree with those that said we could suffer a double relegation and also that  Archie couldn't build a team but as each week goes past those statements are beginning to look accurate. Did I hear right,thought it was announced that Storey got man of the match,if he did I was at a different game.

I'm not a fan of storey but....he was the best of a bad bunch, especially first half. Good to see us attacking the north stand in the second half for a change.....only problem was we didn't.

Even though I felt there were a few signs of life today it's yet another defeat to another avoidable goal to another average but organised team. Archie's away, and I appreciate its early days in the new gaffers tenure, but nothing has changed really. The lack of confidence throughout the team and the mental weakness is more alarming than the recent results. I thought slater, mcginty and quitongo had good games and (yeah I know he's a loose cannon) storer looked useful when he came on but I've had it with spittal and storey. Spittal had three good chances and he sclaffed two in the first half and I still have no idea how he never scored with that one in the second half. He definitely needs some time on the bench. As for storey I've yet to see an attacking player contribute as little as he does in games. Everything breaks down when he gets involved. Relegation is a very real threat even at this early stage in the season. Caldwell has a much bigger job on his hands than I thought.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I'm not a fan of storey but....he was the best of a bad bunch, especially first half. Good to see us attacking the north stand in the second half for a change.....only problem was we didn't.

Its all about opinions, but I really don't see what he brings to the team.He had a good pass to Quitongo and when he put the ball into the area Spittal should have done a lot better than just hitting it wide. Apart from that I don't remember him doing anything of note.

1 hour ago, marcia blaine said:

There was no anger at full time, just “oh well, we lost again”. Its maybe down to giving GC time but there’s an acceptance around us that’s really worrying. The walk out from the JHS to the road was eerily quiet.

Exact same coming out the JLS. Never mind Morton thumped 5-0 today. Surely we wont lose 6 in a row.

Edited by Auld Jag

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Its all about opinions, but I really don't see what he brings to the team.He had a good pass to Quitongo and when he put the ball into the area Spittal should have done a lot better than just hitting it wide. Apart from that I don't remember him doing anything of note.

Who did anything of note?

It might be strange he isn’t in Caldwells plans this week, but its worth noting Aidan played midweek in the 6-0 destruction of our reserves in the cup.

I dont think we can really judge Caldwell after 2 games. He’s playing with what he has and what he has isnt good enough. 

I’d like us to win more but when you have a defence who cant defend high balls, a midfield that compete and strikers with no service then there ain’t really much you can do. 

Unfortunately, from all of Archies summer signings not a single one has made an great impression on the pitch. Even worse, if you take into account Storey / Spittal who only seem to have gotten worse at this level.

Who knows what the Squad will look like come January but by then Caldwell will identify the deadwood and replacements which I hope can turn our season around.

10 minutes ago, marcia blaine said:

There was no anger at full time, just “oh well, we lost again”. Its maybe down to giving GC time but there’s an acceptance around us that’s really worrying. The walk out from the JHS to the road was eerily quiet.

I didn't make the game today but my reaction was pretty much "oh well, we lost again". You have to wonder if the players are in the same frame of mind as we have now lost 5 in a row. We've only scored 1 goal in that run.

Morton next week looks like a big game. They are also out of form and had a couple of heavy beatings. Losing to them would create a 7 point gap which I can't see us making up

Alloa look like they will pick up points. I think Falkirk will sign a lot in January and they have a competent manager for this level.

Caldwell doesn't have much time to get this right. Another couple of games lost followed by losing to Falkirk on the 17th November and the alarm bells would be ringing.

Todays team selection was worrying. Starting Spittal and Storey suggests he hasn't watched us play a lot over the last year or done his homework. I fear all hope rests on Coulibally hitting fitness and form.

I'm afraid I didn't see any of the minor positives that others are managing to see.

i don't ever remember having less confidence in a Thistle defence. We didn't dominate the game today, but even if we had 70% of a game, I'd still fancy the other team to score more than us in their 30%. We look in trouble every time we are attacked, while we look completely incapable of producing anything at the other end.

i find it hard to accept that these players are not capable. Most have played at a higher level than this. But they are not producing, and they are going to have to get a grip. It's up to both the players and the management to turn this around. Right now id take a steady seventh.

27 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

It might be strange he isn’t in Caldwells plans this week, but its worth noting Aidan played midweek in the 6-0 destruction of our reserves in the cup.

I dont think we can really judge Caldwell after 2 games. He’s playing with what he has and what he has isnt good enough. 

I’d like us to win more but when you have a defence who cant defend high balls, a midfield that compete and strikers with no service then there ain’t really much you can do. 

Unfortunately, from all of Archies summer signings not a single one has made an great impression on the pitch. Even worse, if you take into account Storey / Spittal who only seem to have gotten worse at this level.

Who knows what the Squad will look like come January but by then Caldwell will identify the deadwood and replacements which I hope can turn our season around.

We have 8 games to play between now and the end of the year. We need to hope Caldwell finds a way for us to pick up some points in those games or we could be looking at league 1 next season.

One transfer window won't be enough for Caldwell, he'll need the summer aswell to root out the deadwood.

30yrs, the worst defence I've seen.  Cant win headers, weak in the tackle, poor distribution.

Let's hope for 8th, and go again next season.

Ps. Storey needs dropped to never return. He's so bad.