Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

2 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

A business fails without raw materials.

The players are garbage and should nearly all be binned.

Very concerned over new management as subs were baffling. He hasn’t realised yet that Storey and Spittal contribute zero.

Your worried about the subs yet single out Storey and Spittal who both started? 

Neither are defenders and as far as I  am concerned this is our biggest concern. We can't defend at any level , today was a classic 0-0 however we can't defend for 90 mins. 

Two mins of pressure where we saw out the danger and yet concede to the following corner just confirms my point. We apply similar pressure but teams don't  capitulate the way we do.  McGinty, Keown, Elliott can't defend and are a liability that cost us every game.

how we improve is not clear but that's Caldwell's challenge.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Hing on a minute. Storer came on with not that much more than 10-12 minutes to play. How many times did he even touch the ball never mind play defence splitting balls? 

For what it's worth I thought Storer replacing Bannigan was a positive substitution but extremely marginal in effect.

I said during the game he'd put 3 cracking balls behind their defence. I think he was the only one to find Couilbaly with a pass.  Pity he didn't get longer on in my view. 

17 minutes ago, Z88 said:

I said during the game he'd put 3 cracking balls behind their defence. I think he was the only one to find Couilbaly with a pass.  Pity he didn't get longer on in my view. 

True :happy2:

Eta Although he might have been sent off if he was on for any longer...

Edited by flashman
Thought of something else

21 minutes ago, Metz said:

Neither are defenders and as far as I  am concerned this is our biggest concern. We can't defend at any level , today was a classic 0-0 however we can't defend for 90 mins. 

Two mins of pressure where we saw out the danger and yet concede to the following corner just confirms my point. We apply similar pressure but teams don't  capitulate the way we do.  McGinty, Keown, Elliott can't defend and are a liability that cost us every game.

The defence definitely needs to improve, but as we are unlikely to 0-0 our way out of trouble, the lack of goals worries me more.

4 minutes ago, Metz said:

I realise it's a struggle to be successful if you don't have a sound defence. Surely far more worrying is playing at home and creating so little at the other end of the park? I also think it's rather ingenuous to single out three defenders and omit the goalkeeper and a couple others who made the three mentioned defensive tasks that much harder. 

We've scored one goal in our last five games and that concerns me greatly.  OK we shipped another goal today and that's also a concern. Just not sure why so much emphasis on our defensive frailty when we're doing even worse at the other end of the park.

• Like 1

We only conceded 1 goal. That’s not too bad.

But we score o goals nearly every week.  Storey and Spittal are supposed to be attackers and they play every week. Ask yourselves if this is related.  

Who wants to watch this garbage? 

I agree our defence is shaky but the palpable lack of goals needs addressed first.

I thought Christie was our only ‘pass’ today. I hope he can maintain some good form.

You ask yourself the question, "Why is Blair Spittal still on the pitch?" and the answer most of us would give is "He's not playing all that well but there's always the chance we'll be awarded a free kick 25 yards out". 

Then we are handed a free kick in just the right spot and he is nowhere near taking it. We all know he has the ability to put it powerfully into the top corner. Even if he can only do this 1 out of 5, that is a 20% chance of scoring. It was obvious that Slater was going to try a slow lobby effort that was never going to score. Even if perfectly placed, the keeper would have time to get there. So perhaps a 2% chance of scoring if the keeper fell over his feet or fluffed the save. 

I don't get it. If Spittal is not going to take free kicks round the box, why is he in the team?

Edited by partickthedog

8 hours ago, jaggy said:

I'd like to know of the Ayr keeper is decent or not, but in 3 games I've seen him play us this season he's barely had a save to make! Caldwell can only work with the crap squad he's been left with, but I thought he should have kept Quitongo on along with Sol today. I wasn't there last week, but we didn't look any better today than we did against Ross C.

I guess that given Ayr’s start to the season, the guy hasn’t had much to do in any game.

When you play a front three you need your midfield three to not only be a strong unit, but also capable of passing to the front three to start attacks. 

Bannigan, Spittal and Slater are not a unit that will do this. Bannigan needs support. Too many times did he play the ball and then pick up the return. He needs McCarthy in the centre beside him.

I am not filly convinced that Slater is improving the team, he does play a few nice balls but he is guilty of too many sideways and backward balls.

Storrer in his 12 min showed both his good side and his bad side yesterday. Some nice forward passing but also a silly late tackle. He played well against Celtic in the cup, apart from the late tackle. He would be my third midfield player if he could calm his temper.

23 minutes ago, erty13 said:

When you play a front three you need your midfield three to not only be a strong unit, but also capable of passing to the front three to start attacks. 

Bannigan, Spittal and Slater are not a unit that will do this. Bannigan needs support. Too many times did he play the ball and then pick up the return. He needs McCarthy in the centre beside him.

I am not filly convinced that Slater is improving the team, he does play a few nice balls but he is guilty of too many sideways and backward balls.

Storrer in his 12 min showed both his good side and his bad side yesterday. Some nice forward passing but also a silly late tackle. He played well against Celtic in the cup, apart from the late tackle. He would be my third midfield player if he could calm his temper.

23 minutes ago, erty13 said:

Agree with you , but one of the midfield needs to be a runner to help the forwards and make things happen ,we’re not actually creating any chances for our strike force to miss or score

12 hours ago, laukat said:

I didn't make the game today but my reaction was pretty much "oh well, we lost again". You have to wonder if the players are in the same frame of mind as we have now lost 5 in a row. We've only scored 1 goal in that run.

I suppose what bothered me about it was that the players have given the impression that’s their attitude for at least six months now. At least the fans were angry about losing before. Now we seem stuck in the same malaise. That’s really worrying.

There's been a fair bit of criticism of the manager's post match interviews but really, what do folk expect him to say?  "We were rubbish and are going to relegated again so next week I'm going to bin all of them and start the reserve squad."

He has stated that he needs to get them working together as a team and that will take time. There's probably no-one in the squad who will be an outstanding, individual talent so they need to be better as a unit. For me, the thing they need to work on more than anything is the off the ball work. Yes many of them do make sideways and backward passes but yesterday a pass was made into a huge empty space on the left of the park and Mutumbo was stood waiting for in on the half-way line. How often did Bannigan get caught in possession when there was no-one moving for a pass? And we can criticise Storey for not putting in the final ball but if there's no-one running into the box then any cross is wasted.

I thought there were signs ,in the first half in particular, which were encouraging. We seemed a bit more organised and a bit less like headless chickens. I also thought Storey had a decent first half and I'm by no means a fan, but he seemed more effective .  Some decent play second half, if toothless, but the goal seemed inevitable. I really wasn't surprised when it went in and I'm sure I wasn't alone. Storer, to me, seemed up for it when he came on and made some decent passes, but by God he needs to keep his head in the game and keep his elbows to himself

Edited by westertonjagfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, erty13 said:

Slater was excellent earlier this season when he had Gordon playing behind him, allowing him to be more creative. Someone behind me commented on how his every first touch is negative and I thought that was spot on. He’s always veering backwards or sideways at first.

i think we’re really missing Gordon or another natural holding midfielder.

If Alloa avoid defeat Tuesday night we're bottom two.

The fans need to raise their expectations of the club. Part of the reason we're in a mess is the fans tolerate too much shite. I'd only give Caldwell one window, because what I see is the same insipid crap as under Archie, but he like many players will get far too much time, and it might cost us as it has done before.

Edited by Hankey
  • Like 2

I now realize having watched Gary’s post match interview that I was at a different game.....I get the what do you expect him to say point but I would like him to say something a bit more realistic than managerial platitudes.....

ayr were poor and we were worse , we have lost 5 games in a row , can’t score and are heading into the relegation zone so at least let’s start recognizing where we are ....in the shit 

The team is not good enough and how storey and spittal start every week I don’t know .....

wecare in a relegation fight and we need to treat it as such 

Totally agree. I remember hearing Steve Clarke absolutely tear his team apart  after a poor performance soon after he took over. They have hardly lost a game since. 

If he is strong enough, and he is right, then this “what can he say, he can’t upset the players” approach/excuse is frankly bullshit  

Caldwell appears to have given a very different perspective of the game / our general situation to the media, compared to his “soft” one on Jagzone. I can’t find an online link to share but The National quotes him:

”This club... should be higher up this league. We are where we are for a reason and that has to change. Players maybe think the manager keeps changing in modern day football , but the players will change.  If you’re falling out of favour with PTFC in the championship where do you go after that? 

The January window is coming up and I’ll find the reason we aren’t winning and make changes to make this club better and stronger and fighting up the other end of the table”. 

Clearly unimpressed with the squad but he will need to find a way of winning games before January!

Comparing the team Caldwell has been left by Archie with the team Archie was left by MacNamarra and it’s night and day.

We had a fast young, hungry team that could play, we now have a slow, older, team going through the motions.

We had 2 fast attacking wing backs who could go past players, cross but also defend.

We had 2 center backs who played as a unit, contributed goals and could also pass.

A midfield that was fluid over lapped out moved the opposition and scored regularly 

A front line that not only was supported but bagged goals.

Today we have none of that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Comparing the team Caldwell has been left by Archie with the team Archie was left by MacNamarra and it’s night and day.

We had a fast young, hungry team that could play, we now have a slow, older, team going through the motions.

We had 2 fast attacking wing backs who could go past players, cross but also defend.

We had 2 center backs who played as a unit, contributed goals and could also pass.

A midfield that was fluid over lapped out moved the opposition and scored regularly 

A front line that not only was supported but bagged goals.

Today we have none of that

That's painfully true.

25 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

”This club... should be higher up this league. We are where we are for a reason and that has to change. Players maybe think the manager keeps changing in modern day football , but the players will change.  If you’re falling out of favour with PTFC in the championship where do you go after that?  

27 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

The January window is coming up and I’ll find the reason we aren’t winning and make changes to make this club better and stronger and fighting up the other end of the table”. 

All this talk of the January transfer window is worrying. By the time it opens we'll have played another 8 games and we seem to be saying don't expect much between now and then. The only other club with this expectation is Falkirk. So Alloa, Dunfermline, Morton all expect to pick up points between now and the window. We could be bottom 2 with a few points to make up by then. To my mind we need to get 10 points from those 8 games minimum or we are in serious bother. Its also similar to last year 'don't worry after Janury we'll be fine when we get players back/signings made'

If he's still talking about finding the reason why we aren't winning then it suggests he didn't watch much of us before being appointed and that he hasn't got targets in mind for the window. There are unsigned players available just now that would improve or defense and maybe get us some draws and points on the board. If he can't see that we urgently need a right-back, Storey is not working and that our style of play is not direct or fast enough then I'm really starting to get concerned.

The whole reason for a new manager was the current squad was underperforming and a new manager could get more out of them. I'm not seeing any eveidence of that. If he thought he couldn't improve the squad then surely when accepting the post he should have insisted on signing a couple of unsigned players immediately to get points on the board?

• Like 1