Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

First time I've seen some of those players, and not one stood out. Bannigan covered some ground, but hit a few shocking passes to Penrice in the first half. Defence looks very fragile. Ayr looked dangerous in nearly every attack, and we looked dangerous once. Mcginty looks well out of his depth, and Bell looks like the least impressive keeper I've seen here in some time. Of course all this based on only 90 live minutes, and some highlights. The atmosphere in the JH stand was dire.

1 hour ago, Moantherags said:

Totally agree, feel like we just used the boys fitzpatrick and Wilson when we didn't have enough players. Then just left them in the stands to watch players that are no better than them. Not what I would call development.

Since the Academy started 5/6 years ago , we’ve brought through  2 first team regulars ,Liam Lindsey and James Penrice this season , think the question has got to be put out there is it viable in relation to the financial outlay, there has got to be a pathway to the first team to make it work .

The way we’re going just now , we’ll be the only team in the 3 tier of Scottish football with an Academy which I doubt will be sustainable 

Worrying times 

8 hours ago, jim slavin's lunchbox said:

Let me say firstly that as we appointed GC as manger, he should be given time and resources to build a team that reflects him and his ideas.  What worries me is that he seems to come from the same modern day coaching school as our previous manager ie football by numbers/ transition/ possession etc. IMO totally wrong for the position and league that we are in.  I’m also concerned about some ideas that are still being peddled around such as promotion and the supposed fact that we have a talented squad.  I agree that the manager should have a good look at the team and decide who can do it and who can’t but players such as spittal, storey, erskine, are the reason we are in this mess in the first place.  Add to that storer, slater, mutumbo, Ntambwe and you have back to back relegation.  I’ve heard a lot about our attacking options but our lack of goals proves that we really have no options at all.  Don’t even get me started on the defence.  That’s just plain and simple mismanagement.  

Got to be honest I haven’t seen Bell get too much criticism this season I have to say considering his experience I’ve been a tad disappointed to say the least though he hasn’t been helped from chaotic defending from the likes of keown, Elliott and mcginty as well 

9 hours ago, eljaggo said:

In the Caldwell quote from the National mentioned above, he refers to the January transfer window, but apparently not to loan signings.  If the Club is as financially healthy as is believed, there is presumably no restriction in hiring loanees before the transfer window opens i.e. now.  Leaving changes until January might be too late, even if many good players are signed.  I would hope that Caldwell is actively seeking loan players at the moment. 

I think someone posted before we cannot make loan signings until January either

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Even with bannigan we need to look past the legend status he like Doolan and erskine have and weigh up how much he has contributed back - first couple of games back he was great- last 3 games he has been very poor

Think we’ve got to cut Banzo a bit of slack , he’s not played any football in 2 years , first few games he would’ve have got by on adrenaline, think there was always going to be a dip in form. I’m sure he’ll come good when he is back to speed , a fit Banzo is a great asset to the team 

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think we’ve got to cut Banzo a bit of slack , he’s not played any football in 2 years , first few games he would’ve have got by on adrenaline, think there was always going to be a dip in form. I’m sure he’ll come good when he is back to speed , a fit Banzo is a great asset to the team 

A  fit Banzo hasn't been evident since February 2016.

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

He’s had a cruciate knee injury during that time , if you think Brice , Spittal  , Slater are better options then we’re definitely in big trouble 

I don't think any of the above are better options because each one is a different style of player to Stuart Bannigan.

With every respect to you though, to think Bannigan is ever going to achieve his pre-2016 levels after his length of time out is frankly delusional. 

And it's high time it was said and that we accepted it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

He’s had a cruciate knee injury during that time , if you think Brice , Spittal  , Slater are better options then we’re definitely in big trouble 

Spittal has scored 10 goals since he signed- in that period of time banzo probably hasn’t played even 10 games so yes Spittal has contributed more

11 hours ago, Hankey said:

If Alloa avoid defeat Tuesday night we're bottom two.

The fans need to raise their expectations of the club. Part of the reason we're in a mess is the fans tolerate too much shite. I'd only give Caldwell one window, because what I see is the same insipid crap as under Archie, but he like many players will get far too much time, and it might cost us as it has done before.

Got to agree with this view. Going further it is also true the board read the forums. Due to our relegation I was ready to jump in and get season ticket, due to games starting mainly at 3pm. The Ayr games put that on hold, then the Archie scenario, and finally Caldwell. Missed Alloa and planned to get up for Ayr on Saturday. Then thought about Alloa and decided to keep the gate money and train fare, pie and beer money and the rest of it. Saved the guts of40 quid, and we STILL lost.. I just canny figure out the next move but doubt it will include handing 20 quid over the turnstyle. If the board are reading please take note, the money is going on more pleasurable torture.

23 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Spittal has scored 10 goals since he signed- in that period of time banzo probably hasn’t played even 10 games so yes Spittal has contributed more

Stuart Bannigan has played 150 games for our club and is 26 years of age , if you think Blair Spittal incidentally deemed not good enough for Dundee Utd  is the answer then we’ve got problems, Best example is Saturday after we go a goal down , went totally missing 

Whether Bannigan had a bad game on Saturday he still showed for the ball , Spittal went missing when the going got tough , not the only reason why we’ve lost the last 5 games but certainly a factor 

Edited by jlsarmy

19 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I don't think any of the above are better options because each one is a different style of player to Stuart Bannigan.

With every respect to you though, to think Bannigan is ever going to achieve his pre-2016 levels after his length of time out is frankly delusional. 

Ok on that premise , we better write off Tam O’ware as well after his cruciate knee injury

Footballers get injured and come back to a good level , we should give Bannigan a bit of slack because we need him to get back to his best .

A fit Bannigan is our best player by a country mile

• Like 1

Bannigan at his best was the midfielder who played highest up the park and got beyond the strikers when required. He used to be good for a handful of goals a season and for directly assisting in goals. This was in a team that had Abdul Osman at the top of his game.

This year, partly due to not having full fitness and not having a better option, he's being asked to play as defensive midfielder which negates some of his better qualities. If Shea Gordon or Brice was fit he could play slightly further forward where hopefully he would be more influental in our attacking play.

At the moment he is still our best midfield option and in my mind we need to create a midfield around him. Just now that means playing Brice to release him from defensive midfield duties and playing McCarthy who can hopefully do the running around to fill in gaps. Slater is to my mind a good player but without a fully fit defensive midfielder we can't afford the luxury of an extra ball playing midfielder. He is a good option on the bench when trying to open a team up in the last 30 minutes or when Bannigan tires.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, belfastjag said:

First time I've seen some of those players, and not one stood out. Bannigan covered some ground, but hit a few shocking passes to Penrice in the first half. Defence looks very fragile. Ayr looked dangerous in nearly every attack, and we looked dangerous once. Mcginty looks well out of his depth, and Bell looks like the least impressive keeper I've seen here in some time. Of course all this based on only 90 live minutes, and some highlights. The atmosphere in the JH stand was dire.

I think you saw the last 18 months in these 90 live minutes. Your summary is a pretty accurate description of where we are.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Call me sentimental, but the idea that we should be writing off a player of that age and that quality just as he's returning from such a serious injury seems callous and crazy at the same time. He's shown some really good quality since he came back. I think we have to give him a chance.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Banzo hasnt been the same player since he returned from playing with the Scotland under 21s. I remember how he got forward at every opportunity and provided goals as well as scoring. That was when he could have been called an asset. Sitting midfielders are a dime a dozen.

If that was the case how did we end up with one of the worst sitting midfielders I’ve ever seen having watched PTFC for 45 years 

Are you really making a case Bannigan hasn’t played well for 5 years ? , he’s been told to be a sitting midfielder by Archibald because obviously the manager saw something in him to play that position, hopefully Caldwell will push him further forward as we haven’t really got a running midfielder.

Well as it stands my predicted double drop seems well and truly a possibility. On that note it'll be nice to get a wee visit to Stranraer and Brechin next year as I seem to have missed these 2 on our previous drops down the leagues. Hopefully won't happen and I am happy to give GC time to sort it. If though, it means aiming for the league 1 title next season, then so be it. He'll do well to get enough players in and out in January to save us from the drop. Bad enough getting quality in in the summer, never mind the winter window. Can only hope he has a few contacts in England that can chuck us a few Lyle Taylor like gems rather than shockers like Jason Banton. (The absolute pinnacle of Archies tenure for me)

When the Thistle go forward it almost looks like the players could hold hands and form a giant circle. Bannigan is playing too deep and consequently there's a hole in the middle of the opposition half that's crying out for someone to fill it but it never happens. There are other ways to go for goal other than down the wings but through the middle just doesn't seem to be an option for us.

• Like 1