Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

13 hours ago, belfastjag said:

First time I've seen some of those players, and not one stood out. Bannigan covered some ground, but hit a few shocking passes to Penrice in the first half. Defence looks very fragile. Ayr looked dangerous in nearly every attack, and we looked dangerous once. Mcginty looks well out of his depth, and Bell looks like the least impressive keeper I've seen here in some time. Of course all this based on only 90 live minutes, and some highlights. The atmosphere in the JH stand was dire.

I've bleeting on about atmosphere for a few years now. The whole club seems to be flat. Team, fans, staff. there's just a feeling of acceptance.

10 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Ok on that premise , we better write off Tam O’ware as well after his cruciate knee injury

Footballers get injured and come back to a good level , we should give Bannigan a bit of slack because we need him to get back to his best .

A fit Bannigan is our best player by a country mile

Yep. Mamy examples of injured players who came back to a good level.  Jim Duffy would top my list

7 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

Well as it stands my predicted double drop seems well and truly a possibility. On that note it'll be nice to get a wee visit to Stranraer and Brechin next year as I seem to have missed these 2 on our previous drops down the leagues. Hopefully won't happen and I am happy to give GC time to sort it. If though, it means aiming for the league 1 title next season, then so be it. He'll do well to get enough players in and out in January to save us from the drop. Bad enough getting quality in in the summer, never mind the winter window. Can only hope he has a few contacts in England that can chuck us a few Lyle Taylor like gems rather than shockers like Jason Banton. (The absolute pinnacle of Archies tenure for me)

Agreed. Been a doomonger myself since last seaaon. Double relegation written all over us. 

I'd say the new guy needa time but we don't have time. Every home game seems that everyone is apathetic towards the football. I'll keep supporting but i'm seeing nothing to give us hope. It's like archie never left

22 hours ago, eljaggo said:

In the Caldwell quote from the National mentioned above, he refers to the January transfer window, but apparently not to loan signings.  If the Club is as financially healthy as is believed, there is presumably no restriction in hiring loanees before the transfer window opens i.e. now.  Leaving changes until January might be too late, even if many good players are signed.  I would hope that Caldwell is actively seeking loan players at the moment. 

21 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

We're maxed out on available loans at the moment. We already have Scobbie and Gordon, so can't bring anyone else in from the Scottish league.

It might be an idea to brush up on the rules. 

12 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Stuart Bannigan has played 150 games for our club and is 26 years of age , if you think Blair Spittal incidentally deemed not good enough for Dundee Utd  is the answer then we’ve got problems, Best example is Saturday after we go a goal down , went totally missing 

Whether Bannigan had a bad game on Saturday he still showed for the ball , Spittal went missing when the going got tough , not the only reason why we’ve lost the last 5 games but certainly a factor 

Bannigan May have played 150 times but he he has barely played in 2 years- that stat is just as important. It’s just the same as saying Alan Archibald Played 400 times and got us too top 6 and should therefore be manager now. A fit Bannigan will be a great player, right now he is not back to his best time will tell if we get to see the bannigan of a few years ago - we may not

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

I'd say the new guy needa time but we don't have time. Every home game seems that everyone is apathetic towards the football. I'll keep supporting but i'm seeing nothing to give us hope. It's like archie never left

This is spot on. Its very early in Caldwell's reign and I hope I'm wrong but it appears that we've replaced Archie with a poorer version of Archie. We needed someone with proven ability at this level or someone who wouldn't suffer fools.

• Like 1

Disappointing again yesterday.  It was an even game but Ayr had the better chances. 

We never troubled the Ayr defense enough. Both Mutombo and Spittal were poor - this leaving Jai Quitongo isolated too often.  

We need to play a defensive midfielder both home and away.  The more creative players did not push up enough when we're attacking.  Players need to have the confidence to do this knowing we have strong defensive players behind them. 

12 hours ago, West Ender said:

Bannigan is playing too deep and consequently there's a hole in the middle of the opposition half that's crying out for someone to fill it but it never happens. 

I agree with this tho' it might be better said that he's being forced to play in a dual role. Round about the last quarter of the game on Saturday he did in fact move forward more but that was at the expense of Slater going deeper. There lies the problem as neither are real ball winners with Bannigan being the better of the two, hence the deep role.

19 minutes ago, fenski said:

I still think Brice is our best hope as an out and out defensive midfielder who would allow other midfielders to contribute more in an attacking sense.

Was pleasantly surprised with Brice at Alloa as I'd given up on him. He was shocking against Hibs in the reserves. Cumbersome to say the least, even when he moved to a less demanding  position in central defence. Perhaps the tight pitch at Alloa flattered him. Hopefully that isn't the case. Otherwise, with Gordon out, Storer is the only serious contender to free up Banzo to allow him to do what he does best. Mind you Willie Collum wouldn't be able to sleep for pending excitement at the thought of refereeing a central midfield of Storer and Bannigan :)

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Otherwise, with Gordon out, Storer is the only serious contender to free up Banzo to allow him to do what he does best.

This gives me the fear. If we are going to start Storer in games then we'll need to train on how to play games with 10 men. I've not seen him play a game yet (including sub appearances) where I didn't think 'another few minutes and he'll get himself sent off'.

I also have no idea what position he plays. He's not disciplined enough to be the defensive midfielder, not fit enough to be the runner and doesn't contribute enough to be the guy pulling the strings. He might work as a more orthodox number 10 playing alongside a striker but Erskine is a better bet for that role. Apart from the wonder goal at Morton he's not really done anything to suggest he should be at the club. He's defintely one I'd be letting go.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

This gives me the fear. If we are going to start Storer in games then we'll need to train on how to play games with 10 men. I've not seen him play a game yet (including sub appearances) where I didn't think 'another few minutes and he'll get himself sent off'. 

To be fair to the guy he's only ever been sent off twice.......this season.

No idea either but it was refreshing to see so much young talent in Thistle colours. Fitzpatrick and Wilson showed why they have been in the first team pool several times but several others impressed. 

The only drawback would seem to be that many at the moment are too slight for first team football. However that does not apply to Sena. We need cover in defence and on today's showing its puzzling that he's not been on the first team bench.

Would others at the match today agree?

Jag zone does my nut in... never really any real critical analysis but we can all see things are not right 

we need improvement in all departments and I would agreed a major squad overhaul is needed

i never understand why we recruit players eg Melbourne Jeffries Scobbie etc yet they are never considered good enough to start any game ... what’s the point ? 

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Are you serious?

Reasonably so. He's obviously been a player with a bit of potential in the past given under-21 caps for Belgium - I live in hope he'll come good. Sometimes it takes time for a player to find their form at a new club - some of our best players had reasonably inauspicious starts. However given current crisis situation at the club, I doubt we'll ever find out - he's likely to be one of the first players to be ditched. 

40 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

… on and off the park.

In my view the root of all evil at Firhill.

Seems to be the only people getting angry/frustrated by not only results but general apathy are supporters. Time some team members had a look at some of the video available and ask themselves if they think they have been performing at a level that justifies drawing a wage from the club.

2 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17185115.partick-thistle-0-ayr-united-1-stuart-bannigan-admits-gary-caldwell-may-need-to-make-wholesale-changes-to-jags-squad/

So the narrative is definitely not what you hear on Jagzone. This added to the National quotes confirms Caldwell is anything but happy. Good. 

This is just a rehash of the sun this morning. Caldwell needs to get the squad more frightened of him and less frightened about losing a goal. We will not survive playing for 0-0 draws weekly and thinking its a job well done if we get one.

2 hours ago, muirparkman said:

This is just a rehash of the sun this morning. Caldwell needs to get the squad more frightened of him and less frightened about losing a goal. We will not survive playing for 0-0 draws weekly and thinking its a job well done if we get one.

He has to watch what he is doing or we have a situation like butcher at Hibs, Hughes at Raith Rovers, Rae at st Mirren, mixu at Dundee United and so many others where they peed the players off so much they just did not turn up and clubs were relegated- until he brings in his own players he has got a bit of a balancing act - I very much doubt he will be happy with what he sees

• Like 1