Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

He has to watch what he is doing or we have a situation like butcher at Hibs, Hughes at Raith Rovers, Rae at st Mirren, mixu at Dundee United and so many others where they peed the players off so much they just did not turn up and clubs were relegated- until he brings in his own players he has got a bit of a balancing act - I very much doubt he will be happy with what he sees

You do paint a bleak picture. Perhaps with Lopetegui been shown the door Gary is over in Madrid just now, impressing the Real hierarchy with his tailor made training regimens for Ramos, Bale & Tony Kroos.

20 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Mind you Willie Collum wouldn't be able to sleep for pending excitement at the thought of refereeing a central midfield of Storer and Bannigan :)

I think all the officials must hate refereeing our matches because we have two or three players trying to mark them out the game

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, laukat said:

This gives me the fear. If we are going to start Storer in games then we'll need to train on how to play games with 10 men. I've not seen him play a game yet (including sub appearances) where I didn't think 'another few minutes and he'll get himself sent off'.

I also have no idea what position he plays. He's not disciplined enough to be the defensive midfielder, not fit enough to be the runner and doesn't contribute enough to be the guy pulling the strings. He might work as a more orthodox number 10 playing alongside a striker but Erskine is a better bet for that role. Apart from the wonder goal at Morton he's not really done anything to suggest he should be at the club. He's defintely one I'd be letting go.

Ran out of likes again.

First game i saw storer was stenny game and was quute impressed. He's seemed to get poorer  every game thereafter. Liability due to his hot headedness. If this could be channelled better he might have games in him

15 minutes ago, muirparkman said:

Another sobering thought.  Shankland just scored his TWENTIETH of the season for Ayr and we are pissing our pants every time a player gets TEN for the season......

Plus we could have got shankland on a free during the summer when he was out of contract but for whatever reason whoever was responsible for signing the players took their time, while constantly reminding us we would only be signing Quality over quantity and players who would improve the squad (did they seriously not think shankland would?) and we instead ended up signing guys like Jeffries and scobbie as panic signings on the last day of the transfer window 

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Plus we could have got shankland on a free during the summer when he was out of contract but for whatever reason whoever was responsible for signing the players took their time, while constantly reminding us we would only be signing Quality over quantity and players who would improve the squad (did they seriously not think shankland would?) and we instead ended up signing guys like Jeffries and scobbie as panic signings on the last day of the transfer window 

Could have maybe. Question. Why did NO club go for him?

4 minutes ago, allyo said:

Our season has been really poor but using shankland's record to diminish Kris Doolans achievements is unnecessary. 

Not knocking anyone but our support. Our expectation level is really pretty low and that is not a reflection on any individual. It just states what we have come to think of as a great season for a player (Any Player) if they can get to double figures for a complete season.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Could have maybe. Question. Why did NO club go for him?

No idea and don’t particularly care why no one else did, but if we were prepared to take a punt on a complete liability like Jack storer who had fallen out with every club he had been at  then we could have taken a punt with shankland.  Too often I feel a major weakness of Archie was to sign unproven duds from England- at least shankland had been The honest men’s top scorer the season before and had managed to score some goals for other teams eg Queen’s Park st Mirren etc - what on earth had storer done

Not sure that's strictly true.

As Shankland was under 23 when his contract expired a fee would have been due as Ayr had offered him terms,

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

No idea and don’t particularly care why no one else did, but if we were prepared to take a punt on a complete liability like Jack storer who had fallen out with every club he had been at  then we could have taken a punt with shankland.  Too often I feel a major weakness of Archie was to sign unproven duds from England- at least shankland had been The honest men’s top scorer the season before and had managed to score some goals for other teams eg Queen’s Park st Mirren etc - what on earth had storer done

I would have loved to have seen him here....but considering how rank our attack is I'm pretty sure he would have struggled to get anywhere near 20.....

1 hour ago, muirparkman said:

Not knocking anyone but our support. Our expectation level is really pretty low and that is not a reflection on any individual. It just states what we have come to think of as a great season for a player (Any Player) if they can get to double figures for a complete season.

Doolan was getting  into double figures in the premiership for five seasons while Shankland has been doing it at a lower level, would love Shankland at thistle obviously but looking through his career had a good spell at QP, no goals in quite a few games for Aberdeen , deanct first loan at St mirren awful Second spell and ok at Morton could be a one club wonder.

2 hours ago, muirparkman said:

Another sobering thought.  Shankland just scored his TWENTIETH of the season for Ayr and we are pissing our pants every time a player gets TEN for the season......

If Shankland played in our team just now , there is no chance he would get the goal return that he’s getting just now , over the last few years the way we’ve set up with two defensive midfielders and Archie’s safety first tactics it’s testament to Kris Doolans ability that he managed to get 10/15 goals every season for the last 5 seasons , Shankland hasn’t done it at that level yet , but any striker playing for us just now the way we’re set up would struggle to score goals .

Did Shankland not renew his contract at Ayr before our season was over? Did we not put in a bid that was rejected by Ayr during the summer?

10 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Doolan was getting  into double figures in the premiership for five seasons while Shankland has been doing it at a lower level, would love Shankland at thistle obviously but looking through his career had a good spell at QP, no goals in quite a few games for Aberdeen , deanct first loan at St mirren awful Second spell and ok at Morton could be a one club wonder.

One club? Or one very good football manager?

Ian McCall said after the match that Ayr had four of five players capable of playing at a higher level, Well we had 8 players that had played in the Premiership and still got beat. 

Glad Caldwell has been talking about the mentality of the side because for me that is a huge part of the problem. If we can add a few in the window and get our players playing to there potential then there really is no reason why we can't be as good as Ayr, Dundee United, and County. 

Need to stop giving away soft goals though. Storey at fault for the Ayr goal as he completely loses his man.  It was probably over the line but  Penrice does not react to the follow-up and lets his man make sure it's over the line. 

Edited by Alan Murray