Thistle vs. Ayr

Jaggernaut

12 hours ago, muirparkman said:

Not knocking anyone but our support. Our expectation level is really pretty low and that is not a reflection on any individual. It just states what we have come to think of as a great season for a player (Any Player) if they can get to double figures for a complete season.

I don't think anyone thinks ten goals in a season is anything special. I think the only time I've ever seen it celebrated is in the context of Kris Doolan's ability to consistently deliver this year-on-year, over an extended period, and regardless of league position.

I don't really get where this idea comes from, that our support is easily pleased. No one is pleased with our current position. No one was pleased at getting relegated. Everyone was pleased at us getting promoted and most people thought that regular survival in the Premier League was pretty good. Most people saw top six as an achievement (though one that many have subsequently sought to undermine).

I think if you asked any Ayr, Ross County, Dundee United, Dunfermline, Morton fan whether they would take winning the league this season and then surviving the next four seasons, improving position most years, and culminating in a top six finish then they would bite your hand off. If you offered them the relegation the next year then they wouldn't.

Our level of contentment seems pretty logical to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Murray said:

If we can add a few in the window and get our players playing to there potential then there really is no reason why we can't be as good as Ayr United and County. 

Last nights results are an indication that we can't wait until January to turn things around. If we lose on Saturday Morton will be too far in front for us to catch so we are then in a mini-league with Alloa, Falkirk and maybe Dunfermline for the bottom 2 places. Alloa and Dunfermline will pick up points, Falkirk may have found out how to make themselves hard to beat however its hard to look at us and see where a result is coming from.

Caldwell needs to sign a couple just now to either improve the mentatilty or shore up the back line. Any hopes of promotion need to be put to one side and we need to realise that we are fighting relagation or we will be relagated. We need to fight for every point and to forget about pretty football.

Falkirk is to give McKinnon 'substantial funds' in the window so we can expect them to pick up and get themselves away from the bottom. 

With the players in our squad we should be nowhere near the bottom.  Still think with the right guidance from Caldwell we should be fine but as you say Saturday is a huge match for us. 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

No he was out of contract for a few weeks after our season ended before he signed a new contract with them

Signed contract extension on or just before May 15th. Our season didn't come to its sad ending till later that week. I'm also suggesting that we subsequently tried to sign him but our not derisory bid was knocked back. So if the latter is accurate we did/do try and sign quality. The real issue (if it is that much of an issue) being quality players not wanting to sign for us.   

19 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

If Shankland played in our team just now , there is no chance he would get the goal return that he’s getting just now , over the last few years the way we’ve set up with two defensive midfielders and Archie’s safety first tactics it’s testament to Kris Doolans ability that he managed to get 10/15 goals every season for the last 5 seasons , Shankland hasn’t done it at that level yet , but any striker playing for us just now the way we’re set up would struggle to score goals .

This is the point I was trying to get across.  Not that we celebrate being pish, just that sometimes we have to accept we are. We could turn any good striker into a mediocre one the way we have performed over the last 18 months. All I was asking was a bit of fight from the squad, if we lose a game, it should be at the final whistle not as soon as the other team score.

1 hour ago, muirparkman said:

This is the point I was trying to get across.  Not that we celebrate being pish, just that sometimes we have to accept we are. We could turn any good striker into a mediocre one the way we have performed over the last 18 months. All I was asking was a bit of fight from the squad, if we lose a game, it should be at the final whistle not as soon as the other team score.

You’re right, but if you look at our squad , our assets are all in the last  1/3 of the park whether that’s Erskine, Doolan , Coulibaye , Quitongo , Fitzpatrick and Bannigan, I would even say Penrice and Elliott are better going forward than they are defensively but Archie’s negative tactics has stifled these players and had an effect on their confidence, I don’t believe the  above players are bad players but the system we’ve played them in has had a adverse effect on them.

Hopefully Gary Caldwell will play to where his assets are but after the first 2 games unfortunately it looks like more of the same .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right, but if you look at our squad , our assets are all in the last  1/3 of the park whether that’s Erskine, Doolan , Coulibaye , Quitongo , Fitzpatrick and Bannigan, I would even say Penrice and Elliott are better going forward than they are defensively but Archie’s negative tactics has stifled these players and had an effect on their confidence, I don’t believe the  above players are bad players but the system we’ve played them in has had a adverse effect on them.

Hopefully Gary Caldwell will play to where his assets are but after the first 2 games unfortunately it looks like more of the same .

I hope you're right. I live and work in enemy territory and the stick I'm getting , though deserved, is pretty awful. Really hope to see a turn around in our fortunes and results soon.

Neil Lennon was at Firhill on Saturday, spotted heading for Jackie Husband hospitality area. The only reason I could think of for why he was there, rather than watching future opponents at one of the premiership games being played, would be to give some encouragement to his former colleague Gary Caldwell. Didn't stop Caldwell from criticising  Lennon on the radio last night, for goading Hearts fans.

For all the widespread condemnation of events at Tynecastle, I couldn't help thinking we could do with some of that atmosphere at Firhill. The one time the fans had something to shout about on Saturday was when McGinty got into a fight near the dugouts. Perhaps more of that attitude would help dispel the apathy.

39 minutes ago, Sivad said:

Neil Lennon was at Firhill on Saturday, spotted heading for Jackie Husband hospitality area. The only reason I could think of for why he was there, rather than watching future opponents at one of the premiership games being played, would be to give some encouragement to his former colleague Gary Caldwell. Didn't stop Caldwell from criticising  Lennon on the radio last night, for goading Hearts fans.

For all the widespread condemnation of events at Tynecastle, I couldn't help thinking we could do with some of that atmosphere at Firhill. The one time the fans had something to shout about on Saturday was when McGinty got into a fight near the dugouts. Perhaps more of that attitude would help dispel the apathy.

I saw him- I assumed he was eyeing up Shankland