Morton vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

Morton's strength is in midfield. Up front they struggle and having seen the ross county highlights their central defence is vulnerable to pace.

So if we do our homework and out muscle their midfield I think the game will hinge on how effective Quitongo is on his return.

Purely as a word of travelling advice - note that St Mirren are playing The Rangers International XI in Paisley   with a 12:30 kick off - game will finish about quarter past 2 which ought to be ok but might be worth avoiding certain trains (1406 ex Central for example) just in case certain kinds of people are about.

Morton will win 2-0 btw.

Morton have won 1 of their last 7 and twice in that sequence they have shipped 5 goals. (Their one win was against a 10 man rock bottom of the league Falkirk side). 

They have also failed to score more than once in those 7 games. 

I guess a point would probably suit both managers. But I think, even with our shortcomings, this is a very winnable fixture 

I’m going to go for everything clicking and jags run riot in 3-0 win. 

Bell

Elliott      Kewon     Mcginty    Melbourne 

McCarthy       Bannigan

Spittal    Erskine   Storey

Quitongo

Think Penrice may drop to the bench as his form has dipped considerably. Tough to drop Slater out but we need to add a bit of steel to that midfield and  McCarthy would bring that. 
Would really like to add Coulibaly to that team but with McCarthy and  Quitongo unlikely to last 90 mins it would be risky to bring another in that will not last the whole game. If we are struggling at halftime and don't see why we can't bring him on. I thought he might have done that against Ayr

4 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Bell

Elliott      Kewon     Mcginty    Melbourne 

McCarthy       Bannigan

Spittal    Erskine   Storey

Quitongo

Think Penrice may drop to the bench as his form has dipped considerably. Tough to drop Slater out but we need to add a bit of steel to that midfield and  McCarthy would bring that. 
Would really like to add Coulibaly to that team but with McCarthy and  Quitongo unlikely to last 90 mins it would be risky to bring another in that will not last the whole game. If we are struggling at halftime and don't see why we can't bring him on. I thought he might have done that against Ayr

So we should drop Penrice because his form has dipped, but still play spittal, erskine, and storey. When did their form ever start?

• Like 1

The attacking midfield trio of Spittal, Erskine & Storey would be a hell of a gamble. Slater will probably stay in due to his industry but I can't help sensing a lot of our attacking woes stem from just about every non thumped up ball (and even some of them) going thru him. Opposition just need to target Slater to stall any forward play we seem to muster. Unlike Edwards last season, Slater does have skill and more talent but the problem is much the same in so much as he sees so much of the ball without delivering an end product,

Going against the grain but maybe Coulibaly should start even if he's only got 45 mins max in him. We've already played Morton twice and they'll have learned how to play us. So starting Coulibaly would really change things about. 

I’d like to see us start Coulibaly as I think he’s more likely to create a chance for himself to score,more  than Doolan or Quitongo will. Would like to see Slater and Bannigan ahead of a real Def Mid because our defence needs every bit of help it can get. Thought defensively Slater and Bannigan worked so hard,cutting out any space for through balls to their strikers etc but at a cost going forward. Seen the manager telling the sitter to sit(surprise)and not cross the halfway line at times. Thought it was heading for a 0-0 but a set piece killed us again. 

Ps just a pet hate of mine but would love McGinty to kick the ball up the park a bit more instead of out when sometimes there seems to be time to keep it in play 

1 hour ago, Steevo said:

I’d like to see us start Coulibaly as I think he’s more likely to create a chance for himself to score,more  than Doolan or Quitongo will. Would like to see Slater and Bannigan ahead of a real Def Mid because our defence needs every bit of help it can get. Thought defensively Slater and Bannigan worked so hard,cutting out any space for through balls to their strikers etc but at a cost going forward. Seen the manager telling the sitter to sit(surprise)and not cross the halfway line at times. Thought it was heading for a 0-0 but a set piece killed us again. 

Ps just a pet hate of mine but would love McGinty to kick the ball up the park a bit more instead of out when sometimes there seems to be time to keep it in play 

Re McGinty: In the GC interview with Si Ferry he talks about how he was always taught “height and distance” aka “jist get rid”. Then when Tony Mowbray was his manager he was encouraged to actually use the ball by getting it to a team mate.

McGinty is the absolute king of “height and distance” just now. Really hope it gets coached out of him.

48 minutes ago, marcia blaine said:

Re McGinty: In the GC interview with Si Ferry he talks about how he was always taught “height and distance” aka “jist get rid”. Then when Tony Mowbray was his manager he was encouraged to actually use the ball by getting it to a team mate.

McGinty is the absolute king of “height and distance” just now. Really hope it gets coached out of him.

Horses for courses. Sometimes it's good to play it to a team mate other times just put it in row Z. The goal we lost at Dunfermline. Dunfermline got possession when McGinty tried to pass to Spittal and the pass was intercepted.