Morton vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, kevin energy said:

I thought Storey had a good game but it is all about opinions

Everyone should be able to have their opinion :happy2: Can you elaborate on how you arrived at yours? I was also at the game and he carried the ball some distance, but to little effect in my view, other than the move leading to the Spittal miss.

Remember we actually did beat both Morton and QOS recently! Yes it was at home but in both games we should have won by a larger margin. As for storey he is definitely not the answer but our options are limited. Quitongo was non existent last week but I'd give him more time considering his injury woes. As for our team on the day who knows. If McCarthy is fit I'd play him as protection for the back 4 and try and push bannigan further forward. Hopefully Caldwell will get more out this lot sooner rather than later.

I liked Quitongo's spirit in his JagZone interview, 

Without losing the head a la Storer, the team has to be more passionate and fired up. There was a period round about the hour mark last Saturday when the players seemed to  raise the intensity levels. That was our best spell in the match and also got the fans engaged. This should be a general rule, not a 5 minute exception.

Quitongo will no doubt take a fair amount of stick from the home support and if he can get stuck in and influence the game, others may follow.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2018 at 12:21 PM, Jaggernaut said:

I'll kick it off.

Morton will want it more than us, and they'll go about it directly.

Prediction:

Morton 2, Thistle 1

Not sure about that, a daft statement really. We’re desperate for a win! 

On 10/28/2018 at 2:05 PM, Pinhead said:

remember morton have scully in goals, if we fail to win this then we deserve league 1

Gaston played against QotS after Scully shipped five goals up at County.

Not sure what Heed’s selection will be on Saturday but again we’ll probably only see one or two changes. We’ve beaten Morton twice already this season, that record is tempered by our awful away record. Any win will do!

Morton 1 Thistle 0 :(

9 hours ago, kevin energy said:

Well in the first half he took on his man 3 or4 player he was up against infact he beat one man and beat him and he got fouled.

Don't  want to interlope on a private discussion but that's all well and good if at the end of these sprinting runs he makes a good pass or cross or scores. He rarely does. Very very poor final ball or over thought move.

5 hours ago, Jagtastic said:

Being ten points behind the league leaders was bad enough but being ten points behind a Morton team we beat comfortably at Firhill would be downright depressing.

It's time to unleash Coulibaly.

If he's blowing out his arse by half time then take him off. 

Second this. Get Coulibaly on, take him off at HT when we’re 5-0 up...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Don't  want to interlope on a private discussion but that's all well and good if at the end of these sprinting runs he makes a good pass or cross or scores. He rarely does. Very very poor final ball or over thought move.

7 hours ago, Jagtastic said:

Being ten points behind the league leaders was bad enough but being ten points behind a Morton team we beat comfortably at Firhill would be downright depressing.

It's time to unleash Coulibaly.

If he's blowing out his arse by half time then take him off. 

Agree with both these comments.

I think a big part of our problem has been the formation in forward areas, with guys playing out wide who lack the quality to do so (e.g Storey, Mutumbo, Spittal) and an isolated lone striker.

Caldwell has persisted with this so far, but I'm hoping he goes for a 4-4-2 soon, so that we can defend from the front with two mobile strikers, who should run themselves into the ground for an hour (e.g Quitongo and Storey), then replacing them with better quality (Coulibaly and Doolan) when space has opened up.

A midfield four of Bannigan, Slater, McCarthy and ideally Fitzpatrick wide could work well behind the front two.

Time will tell in terms of how Caldwell sees it, but current system clearly hasn't worked for a long time.

1 hour ago, Cults Jag said:

I think a big part of our problem has been the formation in forward areas, with guys playing out wide who lack the quality to do so (e.g Storey, Mutumbo, Spittal) and an isolated lone striker.

Caldwell has persisted with this so far, but I'm hoping he goes for a 4-4-2 soon, so that we can defend from the front with two mobile strikers, who should run themselves into the ground for an hour (e.g Quitongo and Storey), then replacing them with better quality (Coulibaly and Doolan) when space has opened up.

A midfield four of Bannigan, Slater, McCarthy and ideally Fitzpatrick wide could work well behind the front two.

Time will tell in terms of how Caldwell sees it, but current system clearly hasn't worked for a long time.

I’d play

Sneddon

Elliott Keown McGinty Penrice

Slater McCarthy Bannigan

Fitzpatrick Quitongo Coulibaly 

• Like 2

I'd take the draw. Need to steady the ship. A win would be fantastic.

Caldwell needs to do things differently - last couple of weeks have just been same old.  He needs to:

Start Storey and Spittal on the bench.

Stop the isolated striker thing

Make sure the first thought by the midfield is to get the ball forward fast. Get the pressure off our defence and onto theirs.

Play Fitzpatrick

On 11/1/2018 at 7:30 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Storey's decision making is poor as well as his application. He does tho' take a bit of close marking, which puts him up the pecking order ahead of Mutombo. I suppose he tires out defenders with his pace and could make an impact being introduced after 60 mins or so.  

If, as you say, his main benefit is to tire out defenders, then putting him on from the start rather than after 60mins would maximise that benefit.